Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-16-2003, 06:02 AM   #21
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
After seeing your pictures last night I went out and looked at my hinges. There was something there but I am metal on metal now. I assume those are just a generic nylon washer that you got at Home Depot or Lowes? Do you remeber the size? I see the modification you did, but I would like them to fit like yours do.

You said you loosened and tightened the alllen bolts. Was this to also lift the door, or were yours loose?
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 11:26 AM   #22
Finally Retired

, Washington
We replaced the old bolts that held the hinges to the coach/door frame. (what a job) Yes they are just standard washers with a 1/4 in inside diameter. We had to grind the out side diameter down by putting the correct sized metal washer on a 1/4 in bolt and then put 6 0r 8 nylon washers on the bolt and tighten them with a nut. We then secured the bolt in a drill motor and ground them down to the size of the metal washer using a grinder, you could use a file also or even a sanding block. When installing you might want to offset the notch/slot just an Idea. Let me know if I can be of anymore help
Dave
Finally Retired
LKappenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 05:06 PM   #23
Finally Retired

, Washington
Trip

Went to the ocean on the Oregon coast this past weekend it was very nice the door worked great only had to remember I don't have to slam it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	im000598 (2).jpg
Views:	294
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	1343  
Finally Retired
Old 01-23-2003, 05:09 PM   #24
Finally Retired

, Washington
The wheels are usually shiney but with the rain and stuff it needs to have a real good bath. She is almost always looking good
Finally Retired
Old 01-23-2003, 08:49 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
good deal on the hing mods. havent got my new hinges installed it has been too cold. it is supposed to warm up this weekend and i will be helping my friend who has the door off and laid out . i have custom cabinets that were a lot of grief to get removed, they were in the way . so we should have the silver weeinie back together by saturday eve. i am going to take pictures of the job showing the work that has to be done to change out hinges . and ill post those next week. the special bo;ts on the door striker we are going to rotate 180 degrees so the worn spots are on the bottom. im told that the bolts are double nutted inside the jam . shouldnt be a big deal just time consuming to take care of that problem.
al
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:30 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

1994 28' Excella
Clearwater , Florida
any trick?

Is there any trick to lifting the door in order to get the nylon washers in? I sprayed some silicon on the pin and tried lifting myself. It wouldn't budge. I like the idea for decreasing the outside diameter of the nylon washers with the bolt... I was just wondering how I was going to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKappenman View Post
She held the door from the outside and turned the allen wrench while I manouvered the nut. It was a dual and successful effort.
xitjustice is offline   Reply With Quote