Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2022, 04:23 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
Dust Sucking Door? What is your Cure?

We find ourselves on roads that have orange, brown and red dust. Unlimited quantity for those who are indifferent and like feeling... gritty.

I am surprised that dust or dirt still exists on these road, since most vehicles and trailers suck dust and it stays in both. The dust also billows out behind you making a one day project to wipe down everything.

A light dust has no cure. Dog hair... leaf blower OUT the Door?

Dust that collects in 'drifts' of any quantity have solutions.

My posts are often... too long. Snoozers of a sort. So... WHAT is your cure for the Front Door, not the back door... ha ha... to not SUCK DUST on unpaved roads?

If there is no interest, I have no interest in discussing this either.

Simple. Inexpensive. ...and may even work for you. Yes... sweat equity is required to do the project. Cost... Under $3 for the door and have enough material to last 'cure' the dust collecting in the Interior.

Look at my latest photo shopped to look younger photo... that is happy face. Less dust... makes one happy. That is a real tan. Not Oklahoma Dust.
Old 06-25-2022, 04:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Kingsport , Tennessee
Not sure about for the camper. Long ago (I’m sure as another geologist, you learned this trick long ago too), crank the vehicle’s A/C on high, if you are building air pressure inside the cab it helps keep the dust from infiltrating in. I suppose such might also work w/ the camper too, but I have a tendency to not run the A/C on the camper as we’re heading down the road. (To be fair, we’re old tent campers, new to using a camper; I’ve not strayed far off the blacktop thus far w/ the camper in tow. On the highway on hot days, As we have roof vent covers, I have gone down the road with a roof vent open… but cannot imagine wanting to do that off of the beaten path.)

Will be interested in other responses….
WBCCI #1051
LNBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 05:52 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Full-time , Traveler
We haven’t had bad issues with dust infiltration while driving. That includes the East Coast through to Arizona and up to the Yukon. Our door does seal very tightly, and when we’re driving it is sealed up the best.

Now when we’re camped somewhere dusty (Arches was especially bad) we have decided to live with it until we get to a less dusty place. After Arches we went through the rest of South Utah, into Colorado (at the National Monument) then south to Mesa Verde and Great Sand Dunes. Dust was king through there, but when we stopped at Colorado Springs for a few days we pulled everything out of the trailer (bedding, cushions, clothes…everything) and did a massive deep clean.

The one thing we forgot to do was take out the drapes. They will come out next week and go to the cleaners.

But in the end…I know there will be more. Don’t tell my wife just yet
Jeff7176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 07:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
I owe both you a favor for stepping up and posting. You may have to feed it... although I do not believe it bites.

Arches is Red Dust. There are some excellent high elevation camping and out of the heat could be your favor if you are in the Moab area still. Just text with a Private Message if you are still in that area.

Our F350 Ford is NEXT to tighten up as it sucks dust, with the doors closed. Tundra's are the best, tightest pickups for dusty roads. I spent part of the day cleaning the F350 up. Anyone with a F Series Ford having DUST ISSUES. Tell us how you tightened and sealed it.

Anyone with an Airstream or SOB trailer:

The biggest DUST INHALER is the exterior refrigerator for Airstreams and Olivers. Dust accumulates on the exterior open areas and will also move along the sides into the interior on the Airstream. The Oliver is better, but getting to that tomorrow to see what can minimize any dust inhaling.

The Door... if you find dust at the threshold you are sucking dust. Also look along the door frame and fit of the door gasket to this surface. Hmmm... It is the easiest to take care of.

For getting back to this Thread again, tip... Look at your Fender Wells. I fixed that as well with less than $4 of material... hint. They are cut poorly.

The area on both sides of the folding steps is an issue I have not figured out how to seal easily.
Old 06-25-2022, 08:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Blue painters tape over the door , refer vents goes a long way to sealing . Do this before entering the dusty trail .

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 08:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2019 25' Flying Cloud
2021 30' Flying Cloud
Lady Lake , Florida
Ray

In behind your F series rear crew cab back seat is a large black fresh air pressure vent I’m wondering if its billowing up from under and coming in the truck. There are dealer pressure test units that can pinpoint it but it’s $$$ and not worth the money unless water is leaking- I bet the truck cabin air filter is plugged.

There is another product called Road Wrap for vehicles. Like plastic wrap that you could put over the trailer door gaps and it easily removes.

I have used it for Love bug season in Florida on the truck ft grill mirrors and ft top end of the trailer. Not sure if it would help you seal out fine dust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
I owe both you a favor for stepping up and posting. You may have to feed it... although I do not believe it bites.

Arches is Red Dust. There are some excellent high elevation camping and out of the heat could be your favor if you are in the Moab area still. Just text with a Private Message if you are still in that area.

Our F350 Ford is NEXT to tighten up as it sucks dust, with the doors closed. Tundra's are the best, tightest pickups for dusty roads. I spent part of the day cleaning the F350 up. Anyone with a F Series Ford having DUST ISSUES. Tell us how you tightened and sealed it.

Anyone with an Airstream or SOB trailer:

The biggest DUST INHALER is the exterior refrigerator for Airstreams and Olivers. Dust accumulates on the exterior open areas and will also move along the sides into the interior on the Airstream. The Oliver is better, but getting to that tomorrow to see what can minimize any dust inhaling.

The Door... if you find dust at the threshold you are sucking dust. Also look along the door frame and fit of the door gasket to this surface. Hmmm... It is the easiest to take care of.

For getting back to this Thread again, tip... Look at your Fender Wells. I fixed that as well with less than $4 of material... hint. They are cut poorly.

The area on both sides of the folding steps is an issue I have not figured out how to seal easily.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 08:53 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
New River , Arizona
I discovered this on some camping forum or another. Maybe this one... I use a roll of carpet protection film available at big box hardware stores. Cover all vents to outside when I hit a dirt road that will take me a multiple number of miles. (not worth the effort for a mile or 2) The stuff is self cling but not adhesive. IMPORTANT NOTE: I do not drive with propane on so refer & water heater vents remain unaffected.
Old 06-27-2022, 01:29 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
I don't notice dust coming in the the door.
Years ago, I cut a piece of swamp cooler filter to fit in the exterior refrigerator door, that has kept the wind from blowing out the refrigerator in any kind of wind.
Vinegar, seltzer water or other weak acid will kill the alkaline dust. Then it will wipe off clean.
I don't understand people going to the dust an worry about dust, but that's just me.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 07:11 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
I don't care where you camp, there's dust. I believe the usual solution is just to dust.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 07:27 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2020 23' International
Evergreen , Colorado
One solution if you want to avoid excessive dirt and dust is to avoid Moab, UT. It’s a great place to camp if you don’t mind dust and dirt. If you do decide to camp there, then you’ll find very fine dirt in every imaginable place. You’ll often find it months after you leave Moab. It will be in the glovebox of your truck. It will be inside the oven in the Airstream. It will be everywhere.

2020 International Serenity 23 FB "Sparkle Plenty"
2018 GMC Sierra Denali 1500
Airstream Club International #2805
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 07:53 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
I made the mistake of leaving the Fantastic Fan door open when leaving Ft. Craig (southern N.M.)… a 5 mile drive down a dirt road at 30 mph and 100 lbs of dirt/dust inside the trailer when we got to Elephant Butte. Wow! What a clean-up! Never again!

Yep, wheel wells, reefer door area, and bath window “weep” holes should be taped. (The bath window has “weep” holes for condensation drains and it’s amazing how much dust is allowed to enter thru them. They are now taped-over.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 11:05 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
San Luis Obispo , California
Dust inside

Years ago I heard about a traveler on the Alcan Highway when it was mostly gravel. He turned his roof vent around so it would pressurize the interior and it worked.

I have a 25' classic with Max air fans on both ends and wondered if I turned on the front one on high blowing in, if that would be enough to keep some of the dust out. the only limiting factor would be the opening is facing the rear instead of the front.

Any thoughts or experience doing this?

Thx!
slofoks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 12:49 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
I just put up with it. It gets in everywhere. Refer door all the lower lockers and the rear window. It's a mess, but driving for hours on dirt roads does that. What do you do? Stop and try to tape it all up every time? I clean it when I get back from a long trip. I also have all of the front stone guard panels completely dinged. Again what are you going to do? Stop and protect it every time? My trailer is not a beauty queen. I use it and it shows. Birds have hit the front curved sections, branches have scratched it. If you camp off grid this happens. Otherwise you can stay on the paved roads and only camp at the posh spots. My TV had the complete underside ripped out by boulders, fuel tank, brake lines, every plastic panel and sway bar. Fix it and move on. Luckily the trailer was ok in that incident.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote