Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-22-2021, 01:44 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Dust Inhaling Trailer Door- simple fixes

If your front door to your Airstream does not suck dust... go to another Thread. There is a lot of controversy over Rivet versus Lath Screws.

I took some photographs of how I have taken care of the Dust Sucking Front Door misfitting the Frame.

Gorilla Tape. Black. Two inches wide. Sticks to itself very well. Adheres to clean aluminum just as well as looks better.

I hate to break the news to you, but the front door on many Airstreams do not seal well for dust. One way to test:

Cut a sheet of typewriter paper lengthwise about 1.5 to 2 inches wide. It is inexpensive, unless you do not have any handy. Then use an envelope, that is thicker. Insert the entire envelope into where I will suggest to put the strip of typewriter paper. The paper can be used. Does not affect this... test.

Insert the paper strip where you suspect the dust coming into the trailer. Be careful... and close the door snug and shut. Pull on the end of the paper sticking out. If it moves easily... you have some work to do. If the strip of paper is snug... go to the Rivets versus Lath Screws. It is busier, but room for more Airforum Members.

Try this around the entire door frame. I found my door not snug, even with the rubber around the door to... seal... outside dirt, dust and typewriter paper.

Let me go on, while we wait for those slowing the system down not gone to Rivets and Lath Screws. Count to five... One, five. OK. Done. Good job!

One sharp safety razor and a fresh roll of Gorilla Tape. It is thicker and adheres better than Monkey Tape, Grey Tape, Scotch Tape, Band Aid... you are catching on. Count to twenty... One, twenty. OK. All of the Rivet members are gone. Good.

Clean the frame with lighter fluid. At least I had some and use it to soak stamps off envelopes. You write a Dear John or Susan letter, add a Forever Stamp... well hell with losing him/her AND a good stamp. Add lighter fluid, wait and have a clean envelope ready. Transfer over... hold down with a paper towel so the stamp does not stick onto your finger... You put the sticky side on the envelope.

I added photographs. Use the razor to get a clean trim edge. Test with the paper strip with the door closed. Tough to pull out... it is sealed. If it pulls out easily, add another layer. If you are handy, not those of you who messed up the Stamp instructions... but, the trim section can be applied to continue the sealing.

Use a paper towel to push the tape firmly to contact the aluminum. Unless you do not use your finger nails or finger prints for a week... no paper towel.

The BOTTOM is the worse Dust Sucking part of your front door. Just repeat the paper strip until you get a solid tug. Add more if needed.

If you think this was a Prank... no, I thought of this on my own. As difficult as it appears, even a Human Bean may improve on this method.

It is as simple as A, B, D, E & C. Well not as easy as I thought.

Close the door tight. Do you feel a little bit of Tape surface sticking to the foam around the door? Just wipe it down with a small amount of Lighter Fluid on a paper towel, let dry. By closing the door, it will press the tape for a better fit.

Works for me. Tape is still attached. If you want to remove the tape... try to pull on one end and lighter fluid will dissolve the adhesive, but will be more difficult to remove than applying the Gorilla Tape... upgrade.

I used this to SEAL the rear storage compartment. Very little dust accumulation and NO Water. That was a surprise. I also used Lath Screws to secure the bumper to the bottom galvanized looking metal. A big reason for water and dirt getting into this area... but this is 2021. I can add this in 2023 or so.

The sides of the storage area... add a strip of foam rubber and tape it securely to prevent dirt and water getting into this big gap. Look at it. Glasses, help. Geez?

If the pictures are hard to visualize... glasses are needed for you. Also for doing this work. Get with it. You probably own an Airstream. If not, buzz off. Although it works for SOB's, but you need more tape. Lots more.

P.S.: I also tape the frame along the Front Window edge. It seals better that the cheap plastic you already paid for. If you have any leaky window seating along the edges... Gorilla Tape it. What do you have to lose? Trim just about a half inch +/- to seal. Makes you smart at Airstream Rallies in your clean and dry Airstream.

The End.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0254.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	396.9 KB
ID:	406763   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0255.jpg
Size:	382.2 KB
ID:	406764  

Name:	DSCN0256.jpg
Size:	363.9 KB
ID:	406765   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0257.jpg
Size:	417.8 KB
ID:	406766  

Name:	DSCN0259.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	400.2 KB
ID:	406767   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0258.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	416.2 KB
ID:	406768  

Old 10-22-2021, 02:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Well yours seals better than mine....after it blew open on the road at -4*F when it refused to close completely due to all sorts of cold induced shrinkage of the shell.

I fixed it pretty well, but still had to use some foam tape around the perimeter at the top half of the door frame in order to seal it. Bottom is nice and tight on mine after my repair.

It was standing out 1/2" on the bottom half and almost an inch on the top half after blowing open.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 07:24 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Spend a week in Las Vegas in July... it will probably fix itself.