Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2022, 08:25 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Atlanta , Georgia
Door Striker Post / Bolt is Loose

Hello Airstream Community,

I am a newbie to the RV world and have only owned my 2020 Airstream classic for a few months but bought it with a loose striker bolt/post .

I can get the door to shut but have to position the post/bolt to the top of the latch .....The post just turns and sags down ......When I turn the post to tighten it just spins in place. I would say it has about a 1/2" play side to side and up and down ..... Is the striker bold plate behind the door jam loose or are the threads stripped ?

I am afraid I could lose the plate behind the wall. I just don't know what is happening behind the wall . The plate appears to be riveted at the top and bottom.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6742.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	234.8 KB
ID:	423880  
cmcwilliams7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 10:59 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2024 30' International
2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Brush Prairie , WA
I had this happen to me some time ago, I forget the socket size i used but was able to just tighten. There is play when you loosen to adjust on how tight you want the door to close on the trailer. Pretty annoying when it happens though.
Knotflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 06:35 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotflying View Post
I had this happen to me some time ago, I forget the socket size i used but was able to just tighten. There is play when you loosen to adjust on how tight you want the door to close on the trailer. Pretty annoying when it happens though.
Thanks for the reply. So are you saying that I should be able to tighten with a socket wrench ? Because the striker bolt just spins like it’s just stripped . Something is holding it from falling out which I assume there is a threaded plate inside the door jam. It’s odd that I can’t loosen or tighten .
Old 10-11-2022, 08:30 PM   #4
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I am guess the striker bolt fix is like the door hinge fix...You have to remove the trim around the door on the inside and cut a access hole to put a wrench on the nut...Before I did that, I'd put a socket in my cordless drill and give the bolt a spin to see if the nut will grab and tighten. If that didn't work, I'd put a wire around the bolt head and pull on it while trying to tighten the bolt with a gear wrench. Once again, I'd be hoping the nut would grab the frame causing the bolt to tighten.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 06:27 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
I am guess the striker bolt fix is like the door hinge fix...You have to remove the trim around the door on the inside and cut a access hole to put a wrench on the nut...Before I did that, I'd put a socket in my cordless drill and give the bolt a spin to see if the nut will grab and tighten. If that didn't work, I'd put a wire around the bolt head and pull on it while trying to tighten the bolt with a gear wrench. Once again, I'd be hoping the nut would grab the frame causing the bolt to tighten.
Thank you ! I will try that and see if I can get the nut to grab before cutting an access panel.
Old 10-12-2022, 08:51 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Atlanta , Georgia
Same thing happened to me, the door striker post was loose causing the door NOT to shut securely. I used Loctite, (red) that permanently seals the post to the jam. It will not move or come off again unless you heat the post with a torch. I unscrewed the post just enough to get the loctite behind and in between the post and jamb then tightened with a wrench.
1590Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 08:52 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Atlanta , Georgia
Just noticed you live in Atlanta. Me too.
Old 10-12-2022, 09:52 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
1997 25' Safari
1976 25' Tradewind
Tucson , Arizona
Loose bolt

This exact problem happened to us on our 1997 Safari. We tried to tighten the bolt from the outside as others have suggested but no luck. The problem was behind the wall. The bolt fell out and we had to take our rig in to have it repaired. My wife had to hold the door closed from the inside to ensure it wouldn’t swing open as I drove an hour to the service center in Tucson. It was a costly fix as the door trim had to be removed.
Get it fixed now before this happens to you! All the best!

All for the Love of Airstreams!!
Hankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 08:32 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1590Denny View Post
Just noticed you live in Atlanta. Me too.
Thank you for the information. I plan on examining all my options this weekend. Seeing your local to me I am in Sandy Springs ....Where do you take your Airstream for service?
Old 10-14-2022, 07:03 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Atlanta , Georgia
I’ve taken our International to Southland RV. They are an airstream dealer. They fixed my problem however I had to make an appointment a month in advance. My wife and I are semi retired and live the Chamblee Tucker area.
Old 10-19-2022, 10:17 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Morgan Hill , California
This is a result of dealer's sales people. Go to any AS dealer and they will show off how to SLAM a AS door to show its strength. The absolutely wrong way to latch an AS door.

Close the door gently, then push near the door handle. Hear a click, then push again...hear the second click. The door is closed without the stress in such things as the striker bolt.

From the inside I upgraded my handle by adding a simple cabinet handle from HD or Lowes on the handle plate. With big washer behind the plate to distribute the pulling force. I close the door from inside slowly then pull on the added handle for the two clicks. Then lock both locks.
No more excessive stress on the door's mechanisms.
kbmwrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 10:45 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Fredericktown , Ohio
Excellent Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmwrs View Post
This is a result of dealer's sales people. Go to any AS dealer and they will show off how to SLAM a AS door to show its strength. The absolutely wrong way to latch an AS door.

Close the door gently, then push near the door handle. Hear a click, then push again...hear the second click. The door is closed without the stress in such things as the striker bolt.

From the inside I upgraded my handle by adding a simple cabinet handle from HD or Lowes on the handle plate. With big washer behind the plate to distribute the pulling force. I close the door from inside slowly then pull on the added handle for the two clicks. Then lock both locks.
No more excessive stress on the door's mechanisms.
This method works for me every time.
WBCCI #6826
We have Year-Round Courtesy Parking.
MMCMRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 10:57 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
If every suggestion has not worked... tinker it

I recall having a similar issue and the nut on the 2014 model. Rotated, with pressure between wall and base of nut did adjust to the door, just so slightly for a tighter fit and stayed secure.

Eccentric bolt... Applying pressure between the frame and the base of the nut and tightened was suggested. Try that FIRST.

Like the Door Hinges and two screws when an interior nut falls off the poor weld, the other may still be tightened to keep the door from falling off. Did that several years ago and our Airstream Dealer drilled the holes, double nutted both screws and so far... just fine.

You have two rivets. As you noticed. Since the worst you could end up is with having to Lock the Door with a Key to secure it. Then take it in and the Service people will cut the area open and go to work.

My Tinkering Suggestion:
Drill through the Center of the top rivet. Enough to get a Nail pushed into the area to feel around. If there are two nuts on a plate, the plate has dropped down, or is secure to the top and not the bottom.

Turn the nut and use the length of nail to determine if the nail 'moves' you know that the plate is swiveling and the, maybe welded nut, has fallen off on that one you are checking. Do the same with the bottom... stick a long nail into the center of the bottom one, and the top if necessary, and turn the Eccentric Nut.

If you can determine anything... it is better than doing nothing. It already is loose. But... the Door Plate with a Top and Bottom 'welded nut' for each screw is a Cheap Piece of Doo Doo. Very poorly designed for something that needs lots of strength and be permanently secured with nuts and washers.

(It takes longer to suggest an idea, than the time it would take to Tinker... )

The other idea, pulling the Eccentric Nut out, to apply pressure to whatever is suppose to be securing it.. is a good start. If the Two Rivets that are suppose to secure the Plate behind with a Nut... if anything like the Door Hinges... Doo Doo.

The Locking Mechanism will secure the door temporarily to figure it out.

I learned to repair Hot Rods, Slot Machines, Jukeboxes and everything in the home... by Tinkering. Used the savings to buy New Airstreams when I found nothing left in the one I owned to keep busy. Sure....
Old 10-19-2022, 11:02 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Minneapolis , Minnesota
We have a 2020 Airstream and the striker post fell out while on a trip. I heard the "nut" on the backside of the bolt fall inside the wall. I could only use the bolt lock to hold the door closed.

Airstream replaced it under warranty with a different striker post installed by the dealer. It took several months to get the part and schedule the repair.
Espresso2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 11:07 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Your Door has Gaskets... to secure it from leaking

A well adjusted Door... does need some help to close properly. The hinge gasket is thick on the right side and needs to be compressed, to seal from outside air pressure and water.

Mine was adjusted to where the door will swing within two inches of being shut. Then needs that 'extra push or light wham bam' to secure. All doors and screen doors are made by hand... and each has its quirks. Like myself.

I then push at the door handle and CLICK... secured and lock the dead bolt.

A swift closing works, as well... and does no harm from I have seen. The Eccentric Bolt and Door Opening Mechanism need to be tightened from time to time. The door mechanism also comes... loose. Since 2006.

Everything vibrates loose on an Airstream. You will develop a routine. Even check your propane lines under your cook top. You will discover that your Propane lines are not even screwed to the main stainless steel with the holes for a screw to be inserted to tighten the propane system to the burners. No S**t. Since 2006.

Learn to Tinker and Tweak your Airstream. Mine is now as tight and secure as it should have been from the factory. Yours will be also, in year or three.

Last Tweaking... Aluminum Welding. Special process... but permanent. Price the Dealer's charge to do the job, against the Aluminum Weld. Spot weld... adjust the Eccentric Nut to where you want it, spot weld a small spot... check again... and may be the last time.
Old 10-19-2022, 03:32 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
https://www.amazon.com/DEPSTECH-Indu...s%2C149&sr=8-4

If you want to see what’s going on in the wall, try one of these. Drill a small hole in the door jamb and inspect away. Plug the hole when done
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 05:50 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
I recall having a similar issue and the nut on the 2014 model. Rotated, with pressure between wall and base of nut did adjust to the door, just so slightly for a tighter fit and stayed secure.

Eccentric bolt... Applying pressure between the frame and the base of the nut and tightened was suggested. Try that FIRST.

Like the Door Hinges and two screws when an interior nut falls off the poor weld, the other may still be tightened to keep the door from falling off. Did that several years ago and our Airstream Dealer drilled the holes, double nutted both screws and so far... just fine.

You have two rivets. As you noticed. Since the worst you could end up is with having to Lock the Door with a Key to secure it. Then take it in and the Service people will cut the area open and go to work.

My Tinkering Suggestion:
Drill through the Center of the top rivet. Enough to get a Nail pushed into the area to feel around. If there are two nuts on a plate, the plate has dropped down, or is secure to the top and not the bottom.

Turn the nut and use the length of nail to determine if the nail 'moves' you know that the plate is swiveling and the, maybe welded nut, has fallen off on that one you are checking. Do the same with the bottom... stick a long nail into the center of the bottom one, and the top if necessary, and turn the Eccentric Nut.

If you can determine anything... it is better than doing nothing. It already is loose. But... the Door Plate with a Top and Bottom 'welded nut' for each screw is a Cheap Piece of Doo Doo. Very poorly designed for something that needs lots of strength and be permanently secured with nuts and washers.

(It takes longer to suggest an idea, than the time it would take to Tinker... )

The other idea, pulling the Eccentric Nut out, to apply pressure to whatever is suppose to be securing it.. is a good start. If the Two Rivets that are suppose to secure the Plate behind with a Nut... if anything like the Door Hinges... Doo Doo.

The Locking Mechanism will secure the door temporarily to figure it out.

I learned to repair Hot Rods, Slot Machines, Jukeboxes and everything in the home... by Tinkering. Used the savings to buy New Airstreams when I found nothing left in the one I owned to keep busy. Sure....
Thank you for all the great advise. After exhausting all the suggested ideas prior to cutting into the metal, I ended up removing the interior trim piece drilling a 1/2" hole at the point where the striker bolt is located ....Noticed the nut spinning in place...I then jammed a flat head screw driver into the hole which held the nut inlace and tighten down the striker with a with a ratchet. Then covered the hole back up with the interior trim piece . Problem solved thank you ! This is a great community of Airstream knowledge.
Old 10-20-2022, 05:54 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Atlanta , Georgia
Pic of the hole drilled

Name:	IMG_6922.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	424410
Old 03-03-2023, 03:34 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Monument , Colorado
Still trying to grasp what the plate and nut look like on the backside. I'm having the same issue with a spinning striker bolt with a sheared top rivet (ref image). I've tried the pullout/tension technique with no luck. Any additional suggestions?

2020 GT 27FB
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Striker Plate.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	207.9 KB
ID:	428804  
F16Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 07:26 PM   #20
Escape Pod II

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2018 22' Sport
Orange , Texas
Striker

F16Kidd, Ck this out. The welded nut breaks loose.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Scan2023-03-03_202127.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	219.3 KB
ID:	428815   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan2023-03-03_202203.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	428816