RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-26-2020, 06:10 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member
 
2019 28' Flying Cloud
Dripping Springs , Texas
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 259
Door sagging, loose upper hinge

Hi,


After our most recent trip I noticed that the door became difficult to close. I could shove it hard and it would lift up 1/8" to 1/4" upon close. Upon opening it would then slouch down a little.


Found that the upper hinge appeared to be loose! There was a visible air gap between the hinge and the trailer. Tightened up it as much as I dared. What's behind the screws, is it a nice sturdy nut or are these screwed into aluminum?


Outside view before tightening (no idea why that plastic cover was loose either)






Inside view
Kalashnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
overlander63's Avatar
 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 21,254
There's a nut that isn't secured very well holding those screws to the frame. You'd probably have to take some interior sheet metal apart to get to them. If the trailer's still in warranty, I'd contact the dealer prior to surgery.
__________________
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:42 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
 
2019 28' Flying Cloud
Dripping Springs , Texas
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
There's a nut that isn't secured very well holding those screws to the frame. You'd probably have to take some interior sheet metal apart to get to them. If the trailer's still in warranty, I'd contact the dealer prior to surgery.

If there's a nut, can I just pull on the hinge while tightening the screw? Wouldn't that keep the nut in place?


I could potentially see weeks to months of delay if I make this a warranty call.
Kalashnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:54 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member
 
2019 28' Flying Cloud
Dripping Springs , Texas
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 259
Ok problem solved!
- I tightened the heck out of both screws, they seem solid now
- Replaced the adhesive on the plastic 'chrome' piece with a fresh strip of 3M VHB tape
Kalashnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master
 
bobmiller1's Avatar

 
2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,315
Yeah, another great Airstream problem....the door hinges. normally the 2 nuts for each hinge are tac welded to a metal strip inside the aluminum skins. Being that Airstream seems to buy there hardware from the lowest bidder, I would recommend removing the original Grade 5 hardware (if that) with some quality American made Grade 8 hardware. Re-using the same type Grade 8 phillips screws with flat washers, lock washers and nuts will solve the problem. Regards, Bob
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 07:09 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member
 
2019 28' Flying Cloud
Dripping Springs , Texas
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmiller1 View Post
Yeah, another great Airstream problem....the door hinges. normally the 2 nuts for each hinge are tac welded to a metal strip inside the aluminum skins. Being that Airstream seems to buy there hardware from the lowest bidder, I would recommend removing the original Grade 5 hardware (if that) with some quality American made Grade 8 hardware. Re-using the same type Grade 8 phillips screws with flat washers, lock washers and nuts will solve the problem. Regards, Bob

What's involved? Removing an interior panel? If so, not very exciting given that ours is still within the warranty period.
Kalashnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 08:00 AM   #7
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 16,241
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalashnikov View Post
What's involved? Removing an interior panel? If so, not very exciting given that ours is still within the warranty period.
This is a good guide...

More....

Bob
🇺🇸
__________________
"Any nation that can survive what we have lately in the way of government, is on the high road to permanent glory."
Molly Ivins

"Mary-Jane....'cuz 2020 sucks"

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 08:06 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member
 
2019 28' Flying Cloud
Dripping Springs , Texas
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post



Thanks! That doesn't look too bad, given that the new holes are covered by trim. Bookmarked.


Pity that AS selected such poor hardware for their hinges.
Kalashnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 12:50 PM   #9
Stay CazuaL
 
cazual6's Avatar

 
2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 857
Images: 1
Took mine to dealer. Had the same issue. I would post the link, but admins doesn't like it when I post something that leads to another side.
__________________
"No job is so simple that it cannot be done wrong."
"Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege."
"Either I will find a way, or I will make one."
WBCCI 9164
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 01:05 PM   #10
Rivet Master
 
bobmiller1's Avatar

 
2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,315
The warranty is useless.....they’ll only make it worse. Remove the interior door trim, the rivers have to be drilled out. Peel the wall covering back about 1 inch from the door opening around the hinge area. Drill out the interior aluminum wall rivers around the hinge area, 2 or 3. Peel back the interior aluminum skin and block it with a piece of wood. You should be able to see the nuts, worse case scenario, you might need a 3/4” hole saw if the nuts are behind a support channel like mine were, no worries, once the work is done, it will be done right and it will be all covered up so no one will see it. Regards, Bob
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 02:48 PM   #11
SHE SHED
 
trikdacy's Avatar
 
2019 30' Classic
Brooklyn , New York
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 88
Images: 4
I had the same problem. The door, from delivery, was always a bit difficult to close, and it needed a sturdy slam to close. Being a newbie, I always thought that was the way it should work. I brought it into Colonial Airstream for winter prep, and the tech noticed the hinge was loose. The bolt/screw seemed to be sheared. It turned freely. I left it at Colonial Airstream, because it was under warranty. The interior door frame was removed, and the tech put a new nut and bolt. After the repair, the door closed completley different. It didn't need a slam. I wonder if the screw/bolt was deffective at the factory.
trikdacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:11 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member
 
2019 28' Flying Cloud
Dripping Springs , Texas
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by trikdacy View Post
I had the same problem. The door, from delivery, was always a bit difficult to close, and it needed a sturdy slam to close. Being a newbie, I always thought that was the way it should work. I brought it into Colonial Airstream for winter prep, and the tech noticed the hinge was loose. The bolt/screw seemed to be sheared. It turned freely. I left it at Colonial Airstream, because it was under warranty. The interior door frame was removed, and the tech put a new nut and bolt. After the repair, the door closed completley different. It didn't need a slam. I wonder if the screw/bolt was deffective at the factory.

Interesting. My door _always_ needs a slam, even after making the bolts very tight


I'll keep an eye on it. Maybe I'll need to do the surgery.
Kalashnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 11:12 AM   #13
New Member
 
1974 25' Tradewind
York , South Carolina
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 2
Door hinges

I been having a problem with the bottom hinge too much play in the screen door hinge. Think of replacing the hinge has anybody ever used rivet nut too do this?
Tinytinkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 01:58 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member
 
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Springfield , West Virginia
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 9
We had this same problem after the roads in Newfoundland. There is a video but it isn’t very helpful on your own. This is a dealer fix & doesn’t take long to do. If under warranty all the better. We lucked out & our 2019 FC still was so we took it to the Mothership in Ohio for that & another problem. A tech came to our campsite at the plant & fixed everything right there. The tiny screws & washers in the hinge can fall into the hinge & cause further problems for the novice. So be very careful if you try this on your own.
Smathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 06:22 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member
 
2018 30' Classic
2004 30' Classic
1972 Argosy 22
Meridian , Idaho
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 82
Many of the entry doors coming out of the plant are misaligned. Look closely at the frame bolt as you close the door. Many time the claw latch is misaligned an hits the bolt either high or low. It is supposed hit squarely in the middle.
There is a YouTube video detailing how to correctly align the entry door.


One other concern of which I am occasionally guilty, don't use the door as an assist handle while entering or exiting you coach. This puts a twist load on the door.
cbburke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 11:00 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member
 
Shads Shack's Avatar
 
2005 22' International CCD
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalashnikov View Post
Interesting. My door _always_ needs a slam, even after making the bolts very tight


I'll keep an eye on it. Maybe I'll need to do the surgery.



I just went thru a door adjustment on my 2008, 22' Airstream.


In my case the striker was off-center from the jaws. I first raised the door on the hinges by inserting `C' wedges around the dowel. This probably took away 3/32 of the offset. I was left with about 1/16 offset. By fiddling with the striker (taking it out, general messing around) I found that 1/16" was all that stood between a quiet door closing and the typical slam.


To get the last 1/16" I had to move the striker. This meant drilling out the rivet that positions the striker attachment nut. After placing the striker in the `exact' position, I drilled a new rivet hole and popped in a new one. Works much, much better.
Shads Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 03:09 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member
 
2019 28' Flying Cloud
Dripping Springs , Texas
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbburke View Post
Many of the entry doors coming out of the plant are misaligned. Look closely at the frame bolt as you close the door. Many time the claw latch is misaligned an hits the bolt either high or low. It is supposed hit squarely in the middle.
There is a YouTube video detailing how to correctly align the entry door.


One other concern of which I am occasionally guilty, don't use the door as an assist handle while entering or exiting you coach. This puts a twist load on the door.
Great video, thanks! (well the 2nd half was useful, skipped first half)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shads Shack View Post
I just went thru a door adjustment on my 2008, 22' Airstream.


In my case the striker was off-center from the jaws. I first raised the door on the hinges by inserting `C' wedges around the dowel. This probably took away 3/32 of the offset. I was left with about 1/16 offset. By fiddling with the striker (taking it out, general messing around) I found that 1/16" was all that stood between a quiet door closing and the typical slam.
What does this mean? What is a C-wedge and what part is the dowel?

Quote:

To get the last 1/16" I had to move the striker. This meant drilling out the rivet that positions the striker attachment nut. After placing the striker in the `exact' position, I drilled a new rivet hole and popped in a new one. Works much, much better.
I may need to do that. My deadbolt hits the upper black 'claw' on the door latch. It's not even closed to being centered.
Kalashnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 03:51 PM   #18
Rivet Master
 
Wayne&Sam's Avatar
 
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,827
Images: 21
I had that problem on my 2007 FC. At JC they removed a piece of trim, made the repair, replaced the trim. The was no evidence of a repair.
__________________
2014 25' Flying Cloud Rear Twin
2019 Ford Expedition Platinum
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 09:54 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member
 
M. Smith's Avatar
 
2020 27' International
Tuttle , Oklahoma
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 74
The video was a great how-to. Just fixed my door by adjusting the bolt down. Didn't take much.
M. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 09:49 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member
 
2019 28' Flying Cloud
Dripping Springs , Texas
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Smith View Post
The video was a great how-to. Just fixed my door by adjusting the bolt down. Didn't take much.

Did you just pound on it like the video?

How much did it move?

Still don't understand how it can move _at_all_ given that it's riveted in place .
Kalashnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Front door upper hinge pin Beach Bum Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents 15 05-27-2014 05:08 PM
Door Hinge Pin loose deauxrite Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents 13 01-14-2014 08:52 PM
'78 Sovereign needs upper door hinge sharris1199 Doors & Locks 0 09-07-2009 08:25 PM
Door hinge come loose turfclubroad Exterior Storage Compartments & Access Doors 0 09-01-2009 11:13 AM
Loose exterior door hinge bolts JoeGillis Doors & Locks 2 10-21-2002 12:11 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.