Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2018, 10:06 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Hate to say it, but ot has been posted here years ago. I couldn't find the link (again! #%@$) or I would have used it. Also jave seen it elsewhere. Pipe lock override added. KNOW the weakness, fix it may be better tjan blissful ignorance.

Respectfully, Paula
Not to start war or argument but I suggest read Andy's post of 12-17-2007 this thread was what I based my posting on. No more to say as both of you and I have posted some good things. Bill
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:36 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
The criminals already know this featherbedder. It's the honest people that are left wondering ''how in the hell''. There were pry marks on the window frame, next to the entry door, when I bought my trailer. Now I know why. Thanks Foiled Again for the insight, and solution. Anybody can get in if they want to bad enough.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:17 PM   #23
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Paula, thanks for sharing the information on how anyone can gain access. You are correct when you said that the criminals already know this information and the locks are only for the honest folks. Knowing where the weakest link is can allow all of us to address security questions. Almost anything can be stolen so all I want to do is make it slightly more difficult for the crooks and hopefully they will pick an easier target.
How many Airstreams are stolen in a year?

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:42 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
This weekend we were camping in our 2018 27’ Flying Cloud. So this morning at 5am I had to go to the restroom. We were parked across the path from it so I quietly got up (My wife and dogs were still asleep) and went there. When I got back I quietly closed the door.
At about 6:15am the dogs got up and I needed to take them out. When I tried to open the door the opening handle would not work. The door would not open. I repeatedly tried to get the handle to work so the door would unlatch to no avail. I got out a screwdriver and tried open the latch in the opening. I absolutely could not get out the door.
To say this was dangerous is an understatement!
After trying to get it open for about an hour I took out the emergency screen and climbed through the window. The outside latch worked perfect. Obviously the inside door mechanism and the emergency screen have to be replaced.

Anyone else had this problem?
Hicks3456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:52 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
This is an odd one. Forgive me please if this sounds stupid, but did you have to unlock the door from the outside?

If so, both locks? I usually don't use the deadbolt, and had about 3 minutes of near panic one morning when my door wouldn't open. Then I realized I HAD also locked the deadbolt.

If that is not the case, see if the inside door handle has come loose. Takes an allen wrench to re tighten. Also silicone the lock jaws and door post well, and make sure yoi don't overload the stabilizer jack closest to the door..
Back it off half a turn or slightly more and see if the door operates better.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:42 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks3456 View Post
This weekend we were camping in our 2018 27’ Flying Cloud. So this morning at 5am I had to go to the restroom. We were parked across the path from it so I quietly got up (My wife and dogs were still asleep) and went there. When I got back I quietly closed the door.
At about 6:15am the dogs got up and I needed to take them out. When I tried to open the door the opening handle would not work. The door would not open. I repeatedly tried to get the handle to work so the door would unlatch to no avail. I got out a screwdriver and tried open the latch in the opening. I absolutely could not get out the door.
To say this was dangerous is an understatement!
After trying to get it open for about an hour I took out the emergency screen and climbed through the window. The outside latch worked perfect. Obviously the inside door mechanism and the emergency screen have to be replaced.

Anyone else had this problem?

Yes I have - first year in my (then) brand new 2012 Cloud - found I could be "locked" INSIDE the trailer without having any locks on. I'm not sure now how I got out of the situation but it was tops on my list of items to have addressed at the factory after year 1. They made several adjustments to the door for both fit and locking mechanism.

I have since had JC install an emergency exit door in the bedroom so there are doors on two corners (rear curb, front street). That was for true emergency exit purposes not just a stuck lock - though that too could be an emergency if it never catches....

As yours is new, I'd recommend calling the factory and having them take care of it or help your local dealer figure it out.

Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:26 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Already called the dealer to arrange warranty repair. Seems to me a defect in design and pretty dangerous.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:30 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Door was never locked. When I climbed out the window the door opened easily with the outside handle. Something in the inside mechanism broke. Pretty dangerous situation that you can be locked inside and the only way out is the window.

No deadbolt was used. No lock was used.

The lock jaws cannot be moved from the inside. I think this is a serious design defect that the only way out when this occurs is through the window.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:05 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by LParsons78 View Post
Please help. Our 2016 Flying Cloud door has locked with the keys inside. Two locksmith have not been able to help. Please advise. The closest dealer is 70 mile away. Any suggestions?

We are desperate.

Locksmiths apparently cannot “pick” the door lock on an Airstream. I locked myself out back in November. Shut the door and it locked behind me on its own. Called the locksmith...at 11:00 pm! When he arrived he took one look at the lock and said he could not pick that type of lock and it would have to be drilled out. Which he did and I was back in my trailer with a very expensive lesson learned. Called JC and they, thankfully, sent me a new lock assembly overnight. Getting the old lock out was a challenge, but two hours later old one was out and new one was in. THANKS CUSTOMER SERVICE AT AIRSTREAM!! They were awesome.
Now one set stays in the truck and another set is in a lock box on the outside of the trailer. Sure wish I had enough sense to do that in the beginning. Oh well, live and learn!
Old 02-09-2018, 05:10 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
For anyone who has been locked inside (jaws won't budge using inside handle). Keep the jaws and post well lubricated with silicone spray. I just added a second spray can located right by the door. I tested, and see that the screen frame covers the jaws so trying to pry them apart with the door closed? Eh real tough. I cam get a good spray of silicone in there and if the lock is just starting to get a bit sticky it will loosen it nicely.

I found that I could pull the latch that holds the screen to the door and pry the screen inward 1/2 inch or so and SEE the jaws. I am guessing that with the right tool (bent needlenose pliers) I might be able to pop the jaws apart. Also the inside lock plate is attached with screws... removing that might lead to a way to get the door open. Sorry I am not willing to mess up my lock to find out if either of these strategies would work. In an E/R the hatch or a big window will be my exit of choice

Maybe Jackson Center service center will respond. Oh downside to hatch... has to be unlocked to open from inside and outside.

Paula
Old 02-09-2018, 05:38 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
A good locksmith can make a bump key and open the lock.

A fully competent locksmith can pick the lock.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 07:47 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdalrymple View Post
A good locksmith can make a bump key and open the lock.

A fully competent locksmith can pick the lock.

Regards,

JD

OK, if you say so. My guy must have been incompetent. He tried for an hour and gave up. Hope I never have to find out one way or the other again.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:21 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
I was not trying to be sarcastic.

I simply pointed out the lock can be opened without a key, without drilling the lock.

I know, because I too have been locked out of my own trailer.

We now keep a spare hidden.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 06:31 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
For anyone who has been locked inside (jaws won't budge using inside handle). Keep the jaws and post well lubricated with silicone spray. I just added a second spray can located right by the door. I tested, and see that the screen frame covers the jaws so trying to pry them apart with the door closed? Eh real tough. I cam get a good spray of silicone in there and if the lock is just starting to get a bit sticky it will loosen it nicely.

I found that I could pull the latch that holds the screen to the door and pry the screen inward 1/2 inch or so and SEE the jaws. I am guessing that with the right tool (bent needlenose pliers) I might be able to pop the jaws apart. Also the inside lock plate is attached with screws... removing that might lead to a way to get the door open. Sorry I am not willing to mess up my lock to find out if either of these strategies would work. In an E/R the hatch or a big window will be my exit of choice

Maybe Jackson Center service center will respond. Oh downside to hatch... has to be unlocked to open from inside and outside.

Paula
Just had it fixed at dealer. The problem is the 3 screws that hold the inside plate in place. They were stripped (they guessed from original installation). This allowed enough play in the inside handle to come off of the latch it turned. The dealer was not aware of anything that could have prevented this.

While he was getting parts I was playing with the lock and found a small square piece under the jaws that when clicked down released the jaws. I am not sure I can access with the door closed and I am inside but plan to modify screen door to allow access if I cannot.

Amazing to me that in as expensive trailer this is something like this is left undone. There is simply no emergency escape via the door. This is a true safety hazard.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:05 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
While he was getting parts I was playing with the lock and found a small square piece under the jaws that when clicked down released the jaws. I am not sure I can access with the door closed and I am inside but plan to modify screen door to allow access if I cannot.

If you do that, please post pics of your process and final mod. That could be a helpful tip for sure!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 04:33 AM   #36
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Lost my keys one time and locksmith came out and made new keys for the door and the hitch lock. So it can be done. This was for the deadbolt, i never, ever use the door lock.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 05:44 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
I wonder if drilling a hole through the access plate over that small square piece would let you clicl it manually if it jammed again.
Old 02-10-2018, 05:46 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
[QUOTE=Foiled Again;2064989]I wonder if drilling a hole through the access plate over that small square piece would let you click it manually if it jammed again/QUOTE]
Old 02-10-2018, 06:17 AM   #39
RFP
Rivet Master

2014 23' International
Hurst , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
If you do that, please post pics of your process and final mod. That could be a helpful tip for sure!!
I did that. It's easy and the peace of mind is worth the effort

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f453...od-150277.html

Fortune Cookie: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57663633667345

"The Black Swan": https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd30...57648991024725
RFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:08 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFP View Post
I did that. It's easy and the peace of mind is worth the effort

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f453...od-150277.html
Excellent, simple instructions and photos.
Thank you!