Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2003, 10:48 PM   #1

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Unhappy Door lock/latch problems

I had a wonderful afternoon working on the Caravel. I cleaned up the kitchen, treated the wood (I think it's mahogany) with Howard's Restore a Finish, and then waxed it with their beeswax and orange product. Now the wood looks 100% better, and the trailer smells more like orange and less like a musty old trailer. I also removed a bunch of this-n-that that they had bolted to the cabinets, hangars, hooks, a flourescent light fixture. The place is looking much better.

I decided to finish off my successful day of tinkering by installing the new door knobs/door lock set which came with the trailer. The old one was loose and hard to lock. So I took it out, and installed the new one. Although I tried it out before I installed it, and I had no problem locking and unlocking it with the keys, now that it's in the door it won't lock at all! What could I have done wrong? It looked pretty straight forward to me. I did start to loosen the screws that hold the lock mechanism to the outside doorknob, but realized that wasn't the way to go and tightened them up again. Could I have messed something up there? Right now it opens and closes when you turn the inside and outside knobs, but no locking. If anyone has any idea how I might have blown it, please let me know.

And if not, then where do I go to get another lock to replace it and try again? I've seen it referred to as a L-100 lockset. Inland RV, I assume?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 07:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Re: Door lock/latch problems

I would dissassemble again. Sometimes locks have to be indexed and if they are not they basiclly will not turn. Pull the locks set out and find center with the key (turn the key all the way right then all the way left and find the center). Then try to reinstall.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 07:44 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Firth , Nebraska
Lightbulb RE: door lock/latch problem

Stephanie,

I would agree with 59 toaster about the indexing. Also look at the lock cam, piece with square and oblong hole, that it is not in backwards.

I replaced the lock in my '69 last week. The old lock, had two washers between the cast handle part and the stamped steel latch parts. I think it was to compensate for the door curve . There also seems to be a certain amount of adjustment at the two screws that hold the latch assembly to the door at the latch bolt. Further , I found that by swaping the latch bolt, piece that holds the door shut, an off the shelf Bargman L-100 lock set worked and was less than half the price of one with the long latch bolt.Cost less than $50.00 for lock set.

Good luck

Loren
69 Silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 10:54 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Apples to oranges, but may help

When I replaced my K400 lock in the 1975, I had a similar problem after I tightened up the four holddown bolts. What worked was backing down all the bolts (then it worked!), and slowwwwlllly tightening each one diagaonally from each other. Something about uneven torquing down seemed to tweek the lock JUST ENOUGH that it bound up.
Good luck!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 11:12 AM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Thanks guys. I took it out, put it back together on the bench, and everything seemed to work fine. I suspect maybe the little metal flap that actually causes the lock to lock, may have gotten caught on the gasket, preventing any locking from occuring. To reinstall it I locked the unit first, so the flap would be tucked down low, and when I got it all together it worked fine. Only difference from the old lock, I could lock the old one with the inside knob and then shut the door, but on this lock I have to use the key and lock it from the outside. Probably better anyway, since the old way was much more likely for me to lock myself out someday.

Thanks for the help!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote