Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2007, 08:18 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Bow , New Hampshire
Door lever fell off

We just brought our new 2007 Airstream home today. The interior door lever just fell off when my wife tried to open the door. I took the access plate off and it looks like the lever is simply pressed into an actuator. Looks like really poor design. Have any of you seen this before? Is there an easy fix - other than going back to the dealer?
GreginNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 07:53 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
Greg,

I'm suprised there hasn't been a response to this post, but then I've never heard of a problem like a handle falling off on a new rig. Any updates?

"Reality Is The Leading Cause Of Stress"
"There are only five great men in the world and three of them are hamburgers."
rgesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 10:18 AM   #3
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Sorry to hear about this and on a brand new unit.

It sounds like a call to AS and the dealer might be in order. Can you still use the handle to open the door?

Interesting that there is no set-screw or something to re-attach it.

Keep us posted.

Jonathan
Old 04-28-2007, 04:57 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Bow , New Hampshire
It's fixed - for now

The AS dealer sent a serviceman to replace the part but it was for wrong door swing. I looked at the replacement part and it did not have set screw either. It seems that the lever is just forced into the acutuator and then "mashed" by some kind of compression tool.

My original level still had all the factor finish on it which would suggest that someone forgot to "mash" the end.

The service guy just took a hammer and beat the heck out of the lever end until it too was mashed into place. Pretty pood design since this lever takes a lot of abuse between closing door and movement.

At least I found out that I can't get locked in any more as long as I have a phillips screwdriver to take off the faceplate and activate the latch release!

If this the worst problem I have with a new rig then I guess I should be happy!
GreginNH is offline   Reply With Quote