Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-09-2022, 09:24 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Surrey , British Columbia
Door latch pin too high

We have a 2019 25' International. The door has been a problem every since we have bought it and needs to be lammed hard to close. Have actually been locked in a couple of times.

The latch pin in the frame and the door latch do not line up properly. I've put a few nylon washer in the hinge to raise the door and that has helped but the door needs to go up more.

I can't see any adjustment with the latch pin as it is riveted in and can't find an adjustment on the hinges either.

Any idea's
MartinS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 09:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Port Coquitlam , British Columbia
Hi Martin, Welcome to the forum!

We are dealing with a tight door and a loose hinge now. Seems that all the slamming has caused the hinge to loosen. I plan to pull the inner trim off and see if I can tighten it.

Just after we got the trailer, I noticed that the screen door had some rather large welds at the top corners and they were cutting into the door frame so I flattened them out. Have a look for those welds on your screen door.

Apparently, these doors can be adjusted to close smoothly. Use the search function on this forum and see what tricks you can find.

"Live Long and Prosper \\//" - Spock
PB_NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 10:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Loose hinge..outside.take stick on trim off hinge…phillipps screws
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 10:20 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
Thanks TJ,

Is that like the rub strip stick on trim? Is it located where the screws should be in the door frame?

Old 01-09-2022, 10:30 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2018 19' Tommy Bahama
Downey , CA
I had that problem on my 2018 19cb.... I had to move the hinges to get the door to close properly.

Because of the weight of the door, the hinges tend to move down and the top towards opening and bottom away...

I took the plastic trim off the hinges.
Lifted the door and put a screwdriver blade in the top hinge between the door hinge and the body hinge.

Then loosened the two Phillips on lower hinge and tapped with plastic mallet to close gap then tightened screws.

Then removed screwdriver, loosened upper hinge and tapped to close gap.

After a few repeated adjustments the door closes with ease, no more slamming!
Glen Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 10:43 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
This is great help, I will try all of this when the weather warms up a bit. Thx

Old 01-10-2022, 11:39 AM   #7
thewolffman

2022 27' Flying Cloud
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinS View Post
We have a 2019 25' International. The door has been a problem every since we have bought it and needs to be lammed hard to close. Have actually been locked in a couple of times.

The latch pin in the frame and the door latch do not line up properly. I've put a few nylon washer in the hinge to raise the door and that has helped but the door needs to go up more.

I can't see any adjustment with the latch pin as it is riveted in and can't find an adjustment on the hinges either.

Any idea's

I had the same problem on or 2018 25FB. Go to google or You tube there are some videos on there showing you how to adjust the door properly using a piece of wood and a big rubber hammer and or just your body weight to "adjust" the doors.
thewolffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 11:47 AM   #8
thewolffman

2022 27' Flying Cloud
Mesa , Arizona
Here is one of those factory videos I told you about.

thewolffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 09:45 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Thanks all for you input. Hope to get at that over the weekend. I'll let you know how I made out
Old 01-11-2022, 06:27 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Chapin , South Carolina
My latch and latch post did not line up making it a PITA to fully close, especially from the inside. I found moving the latch post to an easy fix. I removed the latch post (bolt), used another bolt of same size with a jam nut to hold the latch post backing plate in place, drilled out the rivets. Loosed jam nut to position where it lined up with latch, drilled backing plate through the holes in door frame, popped in two new rivets. 15 minute repair and door closes so much easier.
StuartsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 08:44 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Thanks for more advice StuartsDad.

I'm heading down to the trailer today in-between rain storms to se which of the fixes works.

they all sound easy and that the problem will be fixed. I tried to adjust the post before and found there was no adjustment. Have since learned as you advised to drill out the rivets , relocate the post and rivet.

Thanks
Martin
Old 03-18-2022, 04:44 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Dripping Springs , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartsDad View Post
My latch and latch post did not line up making it a PITA to fully close, especially from the inside. I found moving the latch post to an easy fix. I removed the latch post (bolt), used another bolt of same size with a jam nut to hold the latch post backing plate in place, drilled out the rivets. Loosed jam nut to position where it lined up with latch, drilled backing plate through the holes in door frame, popped in two new rivets. 15 minute repair and door closes so much easier.

How does this work? Isn't there a channel behind the pin/bolt that allows it to move within the door frame? And if there is a hole, does that hole not need to elongated to allow the pin to move? And if that channel/hole is elongated, won't part of it eventually become exposed from behind the bolt? I have to move my pin at least a quarter inch. I've tried loosening and moving it, didn't seem to help. Tried hitting it with a mallet per some youtube video - also didn't help. (The video seems like 100% bad advice anyway - would lead to breaking the rivets)

Moving the backing plate seems to only be part of the solution.

Thanks
Kalashnikov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 06:01 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Hillsdale , New York
sheesh...not really sure how I feel after watching that video.

SPP
SlowPokePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 06:55 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Chapin , South Carolina
The backing plate in the door frame that the door post screws in to, will move up and down, but the two rivets have to be drilled out. I moved mine about 1/8", drilled new holes for rivets in backing plate, installed new rivets. Use the the post bolt or another bolt to secure backing plate before drilling out rivets so plate doesn't fall down inside frame. My explanation may not be very clear, but is a very easy fix.
StuartsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 07:32 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Dripping Springs , Texas
Thanks StuartsDad!

Before I attempt to move the latch pin/bolt I'm going to address the hinges.
This thread shows the issue and solution:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f45...ir-182181.html

The 'pin' likely just appears to be off center because the loose hinges have allowed the door to sag. Moving the pin will only be a temporary solution.
Old 03-19-2022, 12:27 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
simply adjusted the screen door

I solved my problem . I noticed that the screen door, although would latch fine, was a little twisted.

Made a few little adjustments to the hinge side so it sat proper in the door frame. The main door then closed just fine.

The twist in the screen door prevented the main door from closing properly.

No drilling out rivets, no screws to remove, just lucky!
Old 03-19-2022, 03:26 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Hillsdale , New York
I was once told, although not evident in the video, to always close the door with the screen door as one unit...in other words, don't close the main door with the screen door already closed.

SPP
SlowPokePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 05:09 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Dripping Springs , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
I was once told, although not evident in the video, to always close the door with the screen door as one unit...in other words, don't close the main door with the screen door already closed.

SPP
I always try to close as one unit. However it's almost impossible to enforce with the wife & kids. "What? That's a dumb design!" And they're not wrong if it really matters
Old 03-21-2022, 12:58 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Dripping Springs , Texas
Got it done! Yes - turns out there is a large hole behind the bolt. It must be enlarged sufficiently to move the bolt by the desired amount. I added about another 1/8" to make the total move about a quarter inch.

Black line was top of the washer in stock position.

Before mod:

After mod:
(Egged the hole with a dremel)

Final drop:

PSA: Do not hit the bolt with a hammer! (As shown in some misguided videos) Just unscrew it with a wrench, enlarge the hole, put the bolt back in.

Then drill out the old rivets with a 1/8" bit, move the bolt down, install new AL rivets. Tighten bolt. Done! (I used mid-length)