Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-15-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tampa , Florida
Door knob not working on 1962 Bambi

Hey everyone,

The doorknob on my 1962 Bambi is not working from the outside. I can't get into my trailer! When I turn the knob, it just keeps turning in circles and locks and unlocks itself on each turn, but it won't turn the thing to release the door. It works from the inside just fine and I can get out, just not back in once I push the door all the way closed. I would really like to try to fix this myself if there is an easy fix. As it stands, I can not lock my trailer door when I leave which makes me very nervous as I am a full-timer in it.

Another door related question: My dog chewed up the weatherstripping that goes around the door frame. I have looked in every hardware store from Florida to Ohio and have not found the type of weatherstripping that I need. Any advice on where I can get some replacements for that?

I hope someone can help! Thanks in advance
female.nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 02:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
For gasket, try Airstream Door Gasket
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 04:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

It's a small broken part inside the lock that makes this happen. I would remove it and bring it to a locksmith for repair. A replacement is probably going to be hard to find. I was lucky to get one that had been sitting in an RV repair shop, probably for many years. A friend of mine bought out their inventory and found one of these among the miscellaneous items in a box.
If a locksmith can't help you might try a machine shop. It may be an easy to duplicate piece.

Best of luck,
Rich the Viking
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:37 AM   #4
MetalWind

1960 22' Safari
Hancock , Maryland
What is the end of the story? Just nosey because I have a similar problem.
Airstream631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:00 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tampa , Florida
The end of this story: I took the entire door knob off, blew really hard inside the lock and then screwed it back on and wouldn't you believe it...it worked! That was an easy fix.
female.nomad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1962, 1962 bambi, door, door frame, lock, weatherstripping