Old 02-28-2020, 09:50 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Waterloo , Ontario
I similarly had a door that was sagging. It took 2 things to get it right:
1) Tighten the hinge nuts on the inside. This is a bit of a chore because you need to hole-saw a hole into the inner aluminum skin to access the nuts (measure twice to put them in the right place). However, if you're careful, its covered by the door trim. I put some aluminum tape over the hole and then put the trim back on. No one but me knows the holes are there.
2) Do exactly what dznf0g says: put a few 1/4 metal e-clips in place (stainless) between the lower gap in the hinges. (to be fair, I did have some issues with some of them backing out again). This made a world of difference and I no longer have to slam my door.

Hope that helps.
Rhinno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 01:43 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Denver , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by journeydog View Post

That video saved me a ton of aggravation. My screen door never latched very well and more recently sometimes I could not get it to latch at all.

After watching the video I went to my storage facility and in less than 5 minutes it was fixed.

I kept thinking I needed to adjust the catch somehow, never considered springing the hinges. Made my day.

Dave S
link2dks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 07:31 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2020 27' Flying Cloud
Erwin , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmtnpilot View Post
I have a new 2019 Globetrotter 25. Noticed you could see daylight under the door. Watched videos on adjusting door, tried it, just couldn't bring myself to pound on the loosened hinges with a large hammer. As of today, it sits in Jackson Center for squeak in floor and door adjustment.

Oh boy. Owner of a 3 day old airstream with 4-5 issues, including a door that won't close. How does warranty stuff generally work. I am 2.5 hours from nearest dealership. 8 Hours from Jackson Center. How does warranty service typically work. Am i gonna be without for a prolonged time, and do I have to get it to them in Ohio?

I can't even sleep. Feel I have made a catastrophic mistake.
NCTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:24 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Relax. Your trailer is new and under warranty, and airstream is on the hook to make it right.

In the meantime take lots of pictures and document each and every flaw that you find. Take a day and test every system in your new trailer if you havenít already. Go over every inch inside and out. Photograph and document each and every flaw that you find. There are likely more.

Any further damage that results from these initial flaws, airstream is also on the hook to repair.

It is absolutely vital that you document this with plenty of pictures. Jackson Center is usually pretty good at making things right, but just in case this documentation will be invaluable in the unlikely event you are forced to seek recourse in the courts.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 09:35 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
It is important to note that while airstream changed very little over the decades, there are some substantial differences with the doors.

The helpful video above is good for late-model airstreams, but is not at all helpful for vintage trailers such as the 1973 trailer of the OP.

The door on many vintage trailers especially of the 70s vintage is constructed completely differently.

There is a single large hinge halfway down. Most of these doors are suicide doors which is a whole Nother thread. Overtime this door may shift a little bit due to some of the nuts working loose. If you open your door check the tightness of the nuts holding the hinge to the shell. If they are loose you might be able to manually straighten and align the door with the doorway, and then retighten these bolts. Be careful not to loosen the nuts so that the Bolts fall away inside the wall. Once you have these adjustments made you might want to put some Loctite on to the locking nuts.

Many of these doors have a cast aluminum frame. Under no circumstances try to bend this door into shape because you will crack and damage the cast aluminum Door frame which unfortunately appears to become more brittle with age.

The fit of the door on my 1969 Caravel varies depending on how level the frame is and how much weight and pressure the leveling jacks are cranked to carry ( it should be none, but if the frame has already been tweaked and torqued out of shape you may have to adjust the leveling jacks so that the door frame fits the door)
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 07:17 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
Estes Park , Colorado
It took 5 months at the dealer in Denver to get all of the problems with my 2019 Classic 33 twin fixed. Shower leak, door fit, powered shades quit operating to name a few. We changed out the Glycol to the new formula also.
Mike0392 is offline   Reply With Quote