Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2014, 06:20 PM   #1

1976 31' Sovereign
Pueblo , Colorado
Door handle broken

been having trouble closong door. now i can not open the door from the inside, the handle just moves up and down, how can this be fixed. 76 airstream sovereign.
Were can i get a repair manual
Thanks, B.
bmor24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:33 PM   #2
CHIEF THINGAMAJIG FIXER

1964 26' Overlander
bugtussel , South Carolina
That should be a KT lock. Airstream used them from1970 to 1977. If the main frame is intact everything else to rebuild them is available from out of doors mart. Go their website and look for KT Lock assembly and they have a very good pic and also tells you a few of the tricks to get them to work. Not for the faint of heart to rebuild as you will have to make a jig to hold the handle assembly once you have it on the bench to drive out the roll pins holding the handles on if you get lucky and don't have to drill them out. Good luck
Bugtussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:45 PM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Here is the LINK to the info at Out of Doors Mart. The complete lock is very expensive, but quite often can be repaired.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:20 PM   #4

1976 31' Sovereign
Pueblo , Colorado
Thanks for the link, how do i go about pulling it out without breaking it. It's hard to get out.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:30 PM   #5
CHIEF THINGAMAJIG FIXER

1964 26' Overlander
bugtussel , South Carolina
It has been awhile since I took one out but I think you have to pull the inside handle off first and then you can remove the access panel in the door to take the screws out that holds it in
Bugtussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:47 PM   #6

1976 31' Sovereign
Pueblo , Colorado
so, then you are saying i have to pop the rivits? and then re-rivit it,? that is some hard stuff to re-rivit. there has to be an easier way. do you know where i can get a repair manual. i like this rv but without i makes it tuff to keep it up and a in good shape.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:59 AM   #7
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmor24 View Post
so, then you are saying i have to pop the rivits? and then re-rivit it,? that is some hard stuff to re-rivit. there has to be an easier way. do you know where i can get a repair manual. i like this rv but without i makes it tuff to keep it up and a in good shape.
There are reprint manuals available from Airstream. Not cheap but well worth the money. I have a 1975 trailer with the same lock. I will see if I can find that page and scan it for you.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 04-14-2014, 06:31 AM   #8
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Here is the scan for the door lock removal. This comes from the 1975 AS Service Manual...

Aaron
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AS Door Lock.pdf (364.6 KB, 73 views)
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 05-25-2020, 10:41 PM   #9

Elgin , Texas
Removing KT Lock for Cleaning

I know this thread is about 6 years old, but my wife and I are restoring my grandparents 77 airstream argosy and I'm trying to clean out the KT lock. The lock still works, but it was sitting in El Paso for 40 years and is filled with dirt much like a lot of other places in the camper.

I'm trying to get the KT lock off, I've removed all of the rivets from the door, mostly removed the screws from the inside of the door (they broke but I'm going to try to get them out with my stripped screw set). I'm trying to get the inside handle off but am unsure if it just pulls directly off or if it screws off. From other posts it seems that it pulls off (it's plastic and doesn't seem to have any apparent screws that I can see). I'm going to try pulling on it with a wrench, assuming that it needs to be pulled off and is rusty or has dirt lodged in it.

Any help is appreciated!!!
22ftlfstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 11:18 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22ftlfstyle View Post
I know this thread is about 6 years old, but my wife and I are restoring my grandparents 77 airstream argosy and I'm trying to clean out the KT lock. The lock still works, but it was sitting in El Paso for 40 years and is filled with dirt much like a lot of other places in the camper.

I'm trying to get the KT lock off, I've removed all of the rivets from the door, mostly removed the screws from the inside of the door (they broke but I'm going to try to get them out with my stripped screw set). I'm trying to get the inside handle off but am unsure if it just pulls directly off or if it screws off. From other posts it seems that it pulls off (it's plastic and doesn't seem to have any apparent screws that I can see). I'm going to try pulling on it with a wrench, assuming that it needs to be pulled off and is rusty or has dirt lodged in it.

Any help is appreciated!!!
Remove the screw on the bottom of the inside handle, then it should pull straight off.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 05:22 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Dorr , Michigan
question about the KT assemblies. were they chrome plated or were they just cast aluminum? mine appears to have the plating coming off and I am thinking if it comes off that i may just powdercoat the handle and main body and rebuild the internals. has anyone done that before?
crazycuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 03:25 PM   #12

Elgin , Texas
Thanks! I figured that out soon after asking this question on here. Good times. I love simple solutions.
22ftlfstyle is offline   Reply With Quote