Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-06-2023, 02:00 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
2007 25' International CCD FB
2018 28' Flying Cloud
Vancouver , Washington
Door fails to open from inside

I have a 2018 model 28.
Today the door refused to open from the inside as I was trying to exit the trailer. I had a screwdriver and was able to take the faceplate off from the inside. This required removing the three screws which were hard to access behind the screen door. Once removed, I used my screwdriver to pry a lever to the right, (above my finger in photo), which releases the door latch.
Looking at the faceplate and the door latch mechanism, I see no reason for the failure.
I decided to replace the faceplate and see if it would fail again. However, I can not figure out what the notched plate on the back of the face plate, should engage with.
I am attaching a couple of photos for reference.
Attachment 428930
Attachment 428932
DonDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 06:12 PM   #2
r3z
2 Rivet Member

Los Angeles , California
Have you seen this post? https://www.airforums.com/forums/f16...de-234692.html

Sorry you got stuck! One time in thought I was stuck but did not disengage the dead bolt properly .

If you get stuck inside next time you can also use a
Small screw driver to push that little black square piece on the bottom left up the inside to unlock without taking the face plate off.

I don’t recall placement but would ensure the door handle is straight when reattaching.
r3z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 08:54 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Vancouver , Washington
Door fails from inside only.

Yes I have seen it. But note that my handle did NOT fall off. It simply will not turn to open the door.
Thanks though.
Old 04-01-2023, 10:04 AM   #4

2018 33' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Hi Don Diego
Just wondering how you solved your problem?
This morning we have the same issue.
Like you I took off the faceplate and cannot figure out what the notched plate on the back of the face plate should engage with.
Did you resolve this?
LindaFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 02:29 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Vancouver , Washington
Linda, not sure I can help....
I found nothing that looked like it had failed so I put the door back together. But doing so was difficult and puzzling. I finally figured out that the latch was not in the correct position. By that I mean that the two prongs or teeth that close around the post were not open. So with a screw driver I pried them open and then the face plate would go back on. Once on, everything worked again. I have no idea why or how long before it fails again.
Let me know if you have questions.

Sorry I cannot be of more help.