Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2021, 01:59 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Door Curve on my 2019 27' International

My door into our 2019 27 foot International had the upper hinge come loose and Las Vegas Airstream did the work and secured it. A job well done by Steve doing Service Work. He explained HOW it was done.

Curious as I am, I thought I would make some measurements of the Door Curve. Yes... curiousity may Kill the Cat, but I am a Neanderthal. I do not shed as much, either.

The center panel line on the inside door is the CENTER where I measure the maximum curve. It has rivets running from left to right towards the lock assembly.

My inside door from the edge above the window, where you find a rivet, to the bottom edge is 86 3/4 inches. If your door is nearly or exactly this measurement, we are using the same numbers as follows:

(The position I took measurements are as you see in the door photo to the left of the window frame. This is the 48 inch level.)

I used a 28 inch level, centered at 14" to get: 1/2 inch from edge of level to the contact line of the two inner door panels.

I used a 48 inch level, centered at 24" to get: 1 5/8 inches from the edge of the level to the contact line of the two inner door panels.

Then... I took a 10 foot board to get 3 1/4 inches from the EDGE to the contact line of the two inner door panels.

MY front door, with some tape along the inside frame, is now snug and should prevent dust any any moisture from entering. The Dead Bolt secures easily with a slight push inward. This means the door is sealing to the Door Frame.

Why do I find these things to test, measure and offer them on the Forum?

My door now fits 'perfectly'?, if that is even possible. It took work at the bottom to file down excess metal trim on the door skin that contacted the lower frame from the right side and towards the door opening. There was a long cut groove due to the door not fitted well. Took some time, but almost have it finished.

If your door has issues. Do some investigation, first. Describe what you have noticed. We are not there looking at your door. These measurements may vary for a perfect fit. These measurements may be close for everyone without any excess tension.

I would like to hear, as do others about your experience.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0261.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	399.1 KB
ID:	406811   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0260.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	388.6 KB
ID:	406812  

Old 10-23-2021, 10:07 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Oak Harbor , wa
Groove worn into bottom of doorframe

I first noticed black dust along the bottom of doorframe. Upon inspection I noticed a groove beginning to wear into the doorframe at the bottom. The trim strip attached to the bottom of the door was the culprit. After filing for a while, I just took a plastic builders shim and inserted it between the doorskin and the trim. This wedges the trim so it doesn't run anymore.
Stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 08:45 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Sand Down the... door frame edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormalong View Post
I first noticed black dust along the bottom of doorframe. Upon inspection I noticed a groove beginning to wear into the doorframe at the bottom. The trim strip attached to the bottom of the door was the culprit. After filing for a while, I just took a plastic builders shim and inserted it between the doorskin and the trim. This wedges the trim so it doesn't run anymore.
Let me guess. If you let the door swing to close, it comes back like a spring is attached a couple inches.

Good: The door gasket and frame are making good contact and you push the door to shut, snug and hold to engage the Dead Bolt.

Bad: At the bottom of the Frame, you may see a thin line groove cutting into the aluminum. It is a straight line, and road vibrations will cut the groove deeper and wider closer to the hinge. The door is cutting into the frame to reduce the tension. (Doors are not made perfectly to fit. They are made and attached as needed.

I discussed this some time ago in a Thread. You need to sand down the aluminum edge that is making contact. Mine was 1/8 to 1/4 inch. Used a belt sander as a file or sandpaper would take me more time than I have to... spare. I am old.

Use the paper strip... trick. Start at the bottom left side and move the paper towards the frame. When the paper stops... you know where to start sanding down the sharp edge of aluminum trim.

If you do not care about EXCESS STRESS on the two hinges... fine with me. I figured it out after my top hinge came loose. That is obvious as well. Not very secure.

Anyone... if you look at the bottom flat edge as you step into your entry... look for the cutting into the flat area. You will see it. This is trouble. If you do nothing... be prepared to fix more than sanding in the future. Your hinges will not be happy.
Old 04-30-2022, 08:45 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Upper Entry Door Hinge Loose: Work Sheet Airstream

These were the part numbers for the repair of my upper entry door hinge.

FYI:
30 August 2019 purchased new

15 July 2020 repaired

31 August 2022 Warranty Expires (Denied repairing Front End Separation, even though under warranty) Just for your information of discussion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan 1.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	415304  
Old 05-30-2022, 11:40 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2021 33FB Classic
Live Oak , Florida
The entry door on my Classic 33' is not shaped properly, so there is a gap about 12" long between the door seal and the doorframe in the bottom half of the door. In addition, the top of the door is in too far and the bottom of the door is out too far. Airstream Support sent to me the pages from the maintenance manual showing how to fix this. My son and I attempted it, but with no success. The door went back to its original position and shape.
I am thinking of applying some automotive, self-adhesive weatherstripping to the doorframe, in order to eliminate the gap between the door seal and the doorframe.
My wife wonders whether the adhesive will harm the aluminum doorframe. Any thoughts on that?
Any thoughts on issues that might arise from putting the weatherstripping on the doorframe to close the gap?
Streamer1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 02:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
I fixed my door years ago after it blew open and hit the side of the trailer at highway speed. Not pretty. the top and bottom of the door were 2 inches away from the frame when the door was closed. The fix was to drill out all the inner skin rivets. When you do this the door is very limp. close the door push it into the proper position and install one new rivet at the top latch side corner and one at the bottom latch side corner. I then rredrilled each rivet hole for a 3/16 inch rivet, installed new rivets and perfect fit since then. The only difference is the larger rivet heads.
There is a video somewhere about how to do this.

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote