Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2024, 11:16 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2024 19' Caravel
Washougal , Washington
Do the new Airstreams require the door lock mod?

I'm downsizing from our 2019 27FBQ International Serenity to a 2024 19CB.

I did the door lock mod on the IS, and was wondering if Airstream has changed the door lock handle internals in these last five years. If not, I'll figure on doing the door lock mod again.

Thanks for your help!
Click here to go to my blog: I try to add wisdom, not noise.
Steamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 11:27 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Celina , Texas
Hi Steamguy. Interested in seeing that you are downsizing to a 19CB. We are also considering doing the same from our 25FCFB. What was your motivation in downsizing? How many normally travel? TIA for your thoughts. We are getting older and just think traveling “lighter” would be easier.
Journeying America via the "Blue Highways"
-Be Curious, Not Judgemental…Walt Whitman-
Genebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 02:22 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2024 19' Caravel
Washougal , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genebuilder View Post
Hi Steamguy. Interested in seeing that you are downsizing to a 19CB. We are also considering doing the same from our 25FCFB. What was your motivation in downsizing? How many normally travel? TIA for your thoughts. We are getting older and just think traveling “lighter” would be easier.
I'll buy you a cup of coffee to sip on while I answer...

I'm downsizing from the 27FB for several reasons, but the primary one is that my wife and epic love of my life passed 2-1/2 years ago. There are just too many memories associated with that trailer and it has just SAT ever since she got so sick; meaning it has sat for the last 6 years. It sitting there is an incredibly sad reminder of how very sick she was - so much so, that she didn't want to go camping, and we've loved camping together for 46 years. I have decided that I need to go on with my life; I'll see her again, but it won't be for quite some time yet. She also would have wanted me to go on.

It needs to go to someone who will love it as much as we did, and who will use it.

The practical reasons why I'm downsizing all have to do with the size of the AS:

It's 8-1/2 feet wide, which means I couldn't see along the sides in my mirrors. I could see well enough where the wheels were, but nothing else.
Where I live (far enough out in the country), there are several very narrow spots in the roads and narrow bridges - and there is a LOT of truck traffic. I think you'll understand that it's rather difficult to 'remain Zen' when you can't see where the bridge railing is on the right in relation to the trailer, and there's a loaded semi coming full blast toward you, taking up every single inch of his lane...

Then on the sharp turns, again there's the issue of its length. The wheels normally will tend to track across the line, and you can only go so far to the side, because at pavement-edge plus a foot, there is a deep ditch. Again, that extra half foot matters.

There's the issue of weight. My truck tows it just fine, and it has towed bigger and heavier stuff just fine, but the truck is now 20 years old, and I wanted to be towing something lighter. The hitch is also an issue, as heavier trailers require heavier hitches. I have mine on a garden scooter so that I can just get it roughly into position and do the deadlift.

Bigger trailers are more work, and the warranty on far too many of my joints has obviously expired. I need something that's easier to handle, since it's just me and my buddy "Thunder" now.

As for travelling lighter, we always did pack light, having paid our dues all the way up the ladder from tents, tent trailer, import pickup+camper, (that God-cursed motorhome), travel trailers, and finally realizing our 20-year-plus dream of an Airstream. She was a hobbyist gourmet cook, so we have really good pots and pans for "trailer cookware". But everything else is super-light.

I'm also the nut-case who doesn't mind camping in the rain. I live in Western Washington State, what's called "The Great Pacific Northwet", and packing light is required - what doesn't get wet doesn't have to be kept dry.

One of the 'mods' I'm doing right away is to have the dinette table removed (and that goofy door for the head removed and replaced by a curtain!); I'm working on a book, and having the table out will let me enjoy not only the front panos, but the large back window and Airstream 'portholes' while I'm writing. Using a folding table (and camp chair) will allow me to do this. Plus I can take that table outside to work if I wish.

So if I like windows so much, why not the 16RB? Two words: Old knees. I can't bend and unbend to get in / out of bed. And the 16, although 'cute' on the outside, is just a wee bit (pun intended) too small.

Hope that answers it for you.
Old 02-22-2024, 04:17 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2024 19' Caravel
Washougal , Washington
Too late to edit the above, but just needed to add that the 19CB costs $80/mo. less to insure than the 27FB Serenity.
...Yes, I too was amazed...
Old 02-22-2024, 04:32 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
The Trade wind was announced to come with a different door lock/handle and then others reported getting that door lock/handle on other models. Seems like it may be a rolling change that will get to all models eventually.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 04:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Steamguy, I’m truly sorry to hear about the loss of your spouse… Your reasoning to downsize makes perfect sense. Good luck with your new Airstream!

If the new 19’ has the same silver door latch, I would assume it would need the screw treatment.
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 05:45 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Celina , Texas
Steamguy..thank you for your heartfelt and informative response. My sincere sorrow for your loss. I look at my amazing wife of 45 years and cannot imagine what life would be without her. Best to you as you move forward!
Journeying America via the "Blue Highways"
-Be Curious, Not Judgemental…Walt Whitman-
Genebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 09:39 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
Lady Lake , Florida
Sorry for your Loss

Your decision makes perfect sense to me. Have you though of a X19 travel van? Have you considered the Base Camp?

I feel your pain not only on your loss but i can relate to the joints wearing out. I'm towing a 30 ft and the fun factor is getting like me old.

I'm not sure on the door latch maybe a call to Jackson Center and a conversation with a service rep could help. If there is a problem I'm sure a
fix will be found. Keep that spare set in a safe place.
Life is a Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 10:34 AM   #9
19’ Bambi Flying Cloud

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Airstream Coach - Other
Husqvarnia , Husqvarnia
SteamGuy, very sorry for your loss.

And your thinking on trailer size makes perfect sense to me. Good move. I’ll just mention that until just a few years ago, the 22’ Bambi was built on a 7.25’ width narrow body, which may be even more advantageous for your typical driving conditions.

That said, we are shopping for our first travel trailer, focussing on 19-22’ Bambis. The 19’ really seems to offer a very appealing package. So you are definitely on the right track there!

Finally, pardon my ignorance, but could you please explain what this door lock mod is all about, and which Airstream models it applies to? This woukd be helpful info as we shop. Thank you.
BikeCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 10:55 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2024 19' Caravel
Washougal , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life is a Highway View Post
...Have you though of a X19 travel van? Have you considered the Base Camp? ... maybe a call to Jackson Center ...
I have learned my lessons on 'motorhomes' the very hard way: Had three different units from three very different manufacturers; the last was a stick-and-tin unit that we lived in while we built our house. Was supposed to have been 'gently used', but it was a maintenance headache. Having the doghouse out on the grass while you're trying to get headwork done and keep the carpets clean; then the fun of doing brakes on something like that, and I had to have certain things done by the next day on the house so the crew could work. I'm leaving the 'affordability' part till last, because I just can't spend 2.2× on something like that.

The Basecamp was actually the first thing I looked at, I came to the REI edition with the recirculating HW system and thought, 'this is neat'. But I want the flexibility to have a bed made up all the time, and the BC just won't allow for that. And the more I looked at BC, the more I realized there is no 'real' overhead storage.

I loved the 16RB, for the panos, but my knees didn't love the bed... So the next best thing is the 19CB. My portable table came today, and that'll let me set up to see out the front panos, and also the larger rear window and Airstream 'portholes' for when I'm working.

Going to call JC probably Tuesday, because I've been at a Service desk on Mondays...
Old 02-25-2024, 11:09 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
Since the OP has contributed to the hijacking of his own thread (!), I will comment on downsizing. We downsized from a 23’ L-lounge to a 16’ International with double pano windows.

Everything is easier with a smaller trailer. Loading, hitching up (especially if you can eliminate the need for weight distribution hitch), driving, parking, shopping centers, gas stations, getting into campsites, unhitching, and unloading. Everything.

Simplify!
field & stream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 12:20 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2024 19' Caravel
Washougal , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeCamper View Post
SteamGuy, very sorry for your loss.
Thank you. It was an epic 46-1/2 year love affair with my best friend.

Quote:
...until just a few years ago, the 22’ Bambi was built on a 7.25’ width narrow body...
Thanks, but I'm going new, mostly to have the 'ghosts' of the past evicted.

I've already come up with a name for the new AS:
"Song 16".
It's maybe a bit obscure until you understand that it's Song number 16 from the play, West Side Story. It's the song, "Somewhere", by Steven Sondheim.

Quote:
...please explain what this door lock mod is all about, and which Airstream models it applies to...
The door lock mod fixes a design problem with the inner handle of the door lock assembly. It is a natural thing to pull on this handle when closing the door; but doing so gradually and inisibly weakens the handle attachment inside the lock assembly, and eventually the handle will come off in your hand, stranding you inside the trailer.

I was searching for the thread, but aaaarrrrgh... I can't find it this morning. Maybe not enough coffee. Someone with better luck will certainly reply with a link.

One piece of news, for those of us 'of a certain age': Blue Ox has come out with a new hitch that eliminates all those chains and associated things that are dangerous for my arthritic fingers - it's called "Track Pro" and is very similar to my previous hitch, the EZ-Lift Trekker. You put the bars in place, put on a lock gizmo, and done. Fingers stay out of danger. And I'm having one added to my service order.
Old 02-25-2024, 01:10 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2022 19' Bambi
Northeastern , Pennsylvania
I don’t know if anything has changed in the 2024s, but I did the door handle mod in my 2022 Bambi 19cb. The thread I relied on is linked below, and in particular, posts 12 and 15. You can just take the handle plate off and have a look behind it to see if the design is the same. It’s not hard to take off and put back on.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f45...de-234692.html

I love the 19 floor plan, and its small size and ease are part of what makes it so great.

I am so sorry for your loss.
DarthBrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 04:26 AM   #14
19’ Bambi Flying Cloud

2017 19' Flying Cloud
Airstream Coach - Other
Husqvarnia , Husqvarnia
Thanks for the door lock mod info. We don’t own an Airstream yet but these are the target years/models we’re shopping, so I’m taking notes. Much appreciated.
BikeCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 09:22 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
Windham , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamguy View Post
I'm downsizing from our 2019 27FBQ International Serenity to a 2024 19CB.

I did the door lock mod on the IS, and was wondering if Airstream has changed the door lock handle internals in these last five years. If not, I'll figure on doing the door lock mod again.

Thanks for your help!
We did the door lock mod on our 2023 Classic and we’re not thrilled with it. We bought a replacement interior door plate and we now use a standard emergency brake adjustment hole plug and it fits nicely into the slot and holds the door lock in place. Here’s a link to some at Autozone: https://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-traction-control/brake-backing-plate-hole-cover/p/dorman-help-universal-backing-plate-hole-covers-4-piece/721852_0_0?cmpid=LIA:US:EN:AD:NL:1000000:HRD:19489 353553&&CATARGETID=120054150001290089&CADevice=m&g ad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAADkcoVsdt68KEJJpyHpf1GRsi6 HVY&gclid=CjwKCAiA0PuuBhBsEiwAS7fsNV7SdlBgaN9MKpoJ 4cIH4hBwEFek1B_T1PJY9G2xanjLll_-1PkF5xoCaJMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Dodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 09:42 AM   #16

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Livingston , Texas
2024.5 and beyond

We are in the process of purchasing a 2024 GT 30 and have been told by several dealers that the new locks are coming on late 2024’s and 2025’s, but if that is on all models I do not know. Bathroom lock will change as well.

The Globetrotter we are buying was built in Jan of 2024 but has older style locks.
pbabitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 09:53 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
2023 30' Classic
Denver , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodie View Post
We did the door lock mod on our 2023 Classic and we’re not thrilled with it. We bought a replacement interior door plate and we now use a standard emergency brake adjustment hole plug and it fits nicely into the slot and holds the door lock in place. Here’s a link to some at Autozone: https://www.autozone.com/brakes-and-traction-control/brake-backing-plate-hole-cover/p/dorman-help-universal-backing-plate-hole-covers-4-piece/721852_0_0?cmpid=LIA:US:EN:AD:NL:1000000:HRD:19489 353553&&CATARGETID=120054150001290089&CADevice=m&g ad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAADkcoVsdt68KEJJpyHpf1GRsi6 HVY&gclid=CjwKCAiA0PuuBhBsEiwAS7fsNV7SdlBgaN9MKpoJ 4cIH4hBwEFek1B_T1PJY9G2xanjLll_-1PkF5xoCaJMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
I don’t believe this is the issue the OP was talking about. There are several commercially available methods of keeping the door from locking itself when it’s closed. The break inspection hole grommet seems to me to be the cheapest and easiest solution if you want to physically block the lock lever from closing. I just keep a spare key in my tow vehicle which solves the problem being of locked out.

The OP is talking about the inside door handle, coming off the door from the stress of using the doorhandle to close it from the inside. The modification to correct that is to remove the handle drill and tap the backside of the handle and put a bolt on it to hold it in place. I did this modification on my 2023 classic and on my previous globetrotter. The handle as it comes from the factory is swedged on, not bolted. I’ve heard rumors that Airstream has changed the door handle assembly on some 2024 models but I don’t know which ones or if it’s all of them or if this new door handle, assembly addresses both issues.

Dave S
link2dks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 11:27 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2024 19' Caravel
Washougal , Washington
I had one of those "solution in the shower" moments, which centers around me picking up the new 19CB next week at about this time.

The IS27FB is currently stored at the dealer's, where it will be pulled from storage and brought up next to the new 19CB so that we can pass stuff into the new AS to be put away.

I've already scheduled a couple of other items to be addressed at that time (cut the memory foam topper to fit the new bed, for instance), so I'll ask the shop guys if the latch is the upgraded one. If not, it'll be just a couple minutes to swap latches, and presto! Modified latch.

I'll come back to this thread once I get the new AS parked and post an update, just so folks can have a data point.
Old 02-28-2024, 01:37 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamguy View Post
I had one of those "solution in the shower" moments, which centers around me picking up the new 19CB next week at about this time.

The IS27FB is currently stored at the dealer's, where it will be pulled from storage and brought up next to the new 19CB so that we can pass stuff into the new AS to be put away.

I've already scheduled a couple of other items to be addressed at that time (cut the memory foam topper to fit the new bed, for instance), so I'll ask the shop guys if the latch is the upgraded one. If not, it'll be just a couple minutes to swap latches, and presto! Modified latch.

I'll come back to this thread once I get the new AS parked and post an update, just so folks can have a data point.
The new latch is black, started with the Trade Wind model.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 07:35 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Steamguy, Good luck & God bless.
Let us know how everything works out with the new AS.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote