Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-04-2012, 07:56 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Bottom lock will not

I cannot lock the bottom lock on our 2012 Flying Cloud. The key will only turn the lock part way and will not protrude through the opening. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

John
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I had same problem. I tried all kinds of lube to no avail. I had mine replaced under warranty.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:36 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Bluto

I hope I don't have to take it back to get it fixed as I am over 200 miles from the dealer, however, like you I have tried about everything to get it to work but to no avail.
just added some graphite. I can get the lock to turn but not that easily and it will not fit into the notch to lock. I am wondering if the door is out of square.

John
I
Old 07-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
I cannot lock the bottom lock on our 2012 Flying Cloud. The key will only turn the lock part way and will not protrude through the opening. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

John
Q: Was the lock working, and then suddenly won't work? Or, has it never worked since you owned it?
redwoodguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
If you are referring to the "dead bolt", I had the same problem. I took the unit back to the dealer and all that was done was to lube.. This only worked for a short time. I called JC and they said they had problems with one run of locks. They sent me a new assembly under warranty even though my AS was out of warranty.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:13 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Eureka , California
Quote:

John
Go inside the trailer. Can you turn the deadbolt from inside?
redwoodguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
With the door open, does the lock "lock" and "unlock" ok? If so, does the door close and seal properly? If not, do you have your stabilizers down? If so retract the rear ones to relieve some pressure on the frame. This happened to me once, we didn't realize we had lowered our stabilizers too much.
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:40 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Great questions let me answer them as they first appear.

The lock was working until this last trip.

I can partially turn the dead bolt from the inside and all the way with the key but with a lot lot of pressure.

When I first noticed the problem the stabilizers were down however I still could not get it to bolt when I hitch it to the TV.

After checking further it appears that I have two issues: The dead bolt is very hard to turn and second if I do get it to turn it is not going into the strike plate.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:51 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Georgia
Quote:

John
graphite....

I had that problem and I used graphite. If you look at your owner manual, it recommends getting some of that stuff. It's a fine grey powder. You can get it at any auto store like Autozone. Just squirt it into the the opening or some on the key and slowly work the key into the lock. It works. I have not had any problems since. Try it before replacing the entire lock. Again, refer to your owner's manual for the exact name of the material.
WBCCI #1122
Top of Georgia Unit #52
“I don’t want to get to the end of my life and find that I lived just the length of it; I want to have lived the width of it as well.”
---Diane Ackerman (Author, poet, essayist, naturalist)
benjisgal is offline   Reply With Quote