Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-02-2002, 09:32 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Bent Door Repair

Hello Folks
We purchased our 23 ft Safari with a bent door. The original owners were not into fixing the problems but stopping the leak by adding more rubber seals. The door is about 3 quarters of an inch out at the top right side and 3/8's of and inch out at the bottom right side. I suspect the door came open as the trailer was in motion and a dead bolt lock was installed 6 inches below the factory lock which has also weakened that area. Has anyone tried to repair this type of problem. I was thinking of fabricating an 8 inch long, 1/4 inch aluminum plate to reinforce the weak area and at the same time correcting the radius problem. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thnxs in advance
Old 09-02-2002, 09:40 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
The frame on my door was broken where the lockset went through the frame. I made a reinforcement plate to screw over the broken section. Adjusted the curve and screwed it in. Worked fine.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 09:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
bent door

Thnxs Jim

That sounds like what I had in mind. Did you clamp your door to a pre cut form to get the curve right or was your radius ok even after the crack had occured?
Old 09-02-2002, 10:14 AM   #4
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
1/4" is way thicker than the original frame, probably more than you need for reinforcing. I would also check clearance as it swings, you might get interference.

To adjust the door, put a 2x4 between the door and frame, use it as a pivot point. Then you can push or pull on the door and reshape it. It takes a lot of power to bend, so you will have to push hard. Don't push on the skin, it will bend, push (or pull) on the frame itself.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 11:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Wayne F.
The door is out of shape because it probably opened in transit. Confirmation of that would be a small dent in the area of the door hold back.

Once a door is bent out of shape, it cannot be rebent into shape, and be expected to be OK. Metal someplace has stretched. Rebending it won't shrink it.

Check the area at the entrance door lock striker bolt. You should find it stretched or broken.
In either case, remove the lock and the upper interior panel, carefully.

Remove the door gasket. Reshape the door, and add a stiffner plate in the area of the striker bolt, to hold the frame in alignment. The plate must be adequate so that it will hold the broken or stretched area in place.

Check to make sure the door is still aligned.

Next, reinstall the upper interior panel. DO NOT USE THE SAME RIVET HOLES. They more than likely are stretched, in the frame and/or the metal. Drill new holes to resecure the interior panel.

If you use the old holes, you will put the door back into it's misalignment.

Recheck and make sure that the door is still in alignment. If so, fill the original rivet holes with pop rivets.

Reinstall the lock.

Recheck one more time. The door should be absolutely flush with the trailer sheet metal.

Lastly, replace the gasket. The correct gasket is the same as that on your windows. DO NOT use any other gasket, as it will either not seal correctly, or put added stress on the door frame, when the door is closed.

Also, check the striker bolt on the lock. It should be smooth, with no grooves. Check the striker pocket, to make sure it is not worn. Make sure that the brass shim, that is a part of the striker pocket assembly, is OK.

If not, replace the parts that are worn. Your door fit will love it.

You will have added more pop rivets, however, you have aligned the door to new holes, the same way that the door was originally made. You also eliminated the slop in the holes.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 03:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Wayne, Andy is right on, this is what I did and it worked. I drilled new rivet holes to help keep the door in alignment.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 07:27 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
door seal

Jim, John, Andy...

Lots of good detailed information. I now feel confident I can do this job well. I have some aluminum plate and a roll of proper gasket mat'l Thnxs again.