Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-27-2023, 06:30 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Mission Viejo , California
Bargman style door retaining/holdback catch installation help please

I'm literally doing the last thing on my resto of '69 Caravel and am tired. I looked around to figure out what holds the door against the body when open, and found this one pictured below from Airstream Trailer Supply.

I bought it because my Airstream has half of this mounted - the strip on the left. But I really am not sure how it works, i.e. how it the spring latch part of it is oriented when mounted. I'm feeling like a chimp trying to do long division wondering how this thing is supposed to work!

Any pics or explanations appreciated. It's been a long haul getting this old beauty done and I don't want that door thumping the side.

Is it an automatic catch or do you open it up by hand and then release the thing, catching the retaining strap by the end (left side overhang on the spring latch upper part of pic). That sorta makes sense to me, looking at it.

gpzkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 06:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
You’re right. We placed the receiver strap on the door in a vertical position. Then lined up the spring latch with the strap and mounted that to the trailer. Line the two up well. I used rivnuts and stainless steel pan head screws to mount the pieces. You can Google Vintage Airstream Archives/Pictures and go to the 69s. You can see a few pictures of the door catch. It is vague. Good luck
Bubba L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 05:46 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Thank you!

I can see that the two right most of three rivets are the correct position for the spring latch, but there is no way to rivet it, which is a hassle. Rivnuts looks like the way to go, but no store near me has them. It think a 5-40 for 1/8" hole is right, but not seeing that size rivnut online either. The sizing is a bit mysterious.

More work than I expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba L View Post
You’re right. We placed the receiver strap on the door in a vertical position. Then lined up the spring latch with the strap and mounted that to the trailer. Line the two up well. I used rivnuts and stainless steel pan head screws to mount the pieces. You can Google Vintage Airstream Archives/Pictures and go to the 69s. You can see a few pictures of the door catch. It is vague. Good luck
Old 05-28-2023, 06:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Vintage Trailer Supply has the splined riv sets. I used 8-32 because I used those for various other points of attachment. Hanson Rivet & Supply Co also have a lot to choose from. Or, you can use pop rivets and seal the exposed hole in the rivet so it doesn’t leak. Use a couple to practice. Good luck
Bubba L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 03:50 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba L View Post
Vintage Trailer Supply has the splined riv sets. I used 8-32 because I used those for various other points of attachment. Hanson Rivet & Supply Co also have a lot to choose from. Or, you can use pop rivets and seal the exposed hole in the rivet so it doesn’t leak. Use a couple to practice. Good luck
No room to get a rivet gun in that tight area, went with metric rivet nut, aluminum. Now have 48 spare