Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-01-2017, 07:12 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Boise , Idaho
Bargman L100 Screw size - and getting keys made

So I'm finally starting to work on the lock on my '69 Overlander. It came to me with no keys. Knob doesn't work anyway, and since PO removed the screws from the door frame it just kind of slid from side to side anyway.

So, I'm cleaning it up and will make some minor repairs and reassemble with new grease. this leaves at least three questions:

1. Are locksmiths likely to have blanks from which to make a new key? Or should I order my own blanks from Vintage Trailer?

2. Any idea what size screws I need to use on the striker plate side when I reinstall?

3. Half of a rubber type gasket fell out when I removed the lock, should I replace this? make my own from EPDM? Buy one?

Thanks in advance.
Jamespio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
I just "went through" my L-100 last week as best I could. The non-availability of parts makes it difficult. But after disassembling it and reassembling it about thirty times, it works much better, and I now have a pretty good understanding how it works.

My trailer is a bit older than yours, but the knob was not screwed to the side of the door, it was riveted with largish rivets. I think about 3/16". I believe it was that way from the factory, as it would require some sort of captive nut to hold a screw, and that just wasn't Airstreams way of doing things.

I can't give advise regarding the keys. I need them too. So hopefully someone will have some input on that subject. I have a special problem with my lock. It seems to be locked in the middle. So from the outside, the knob will turn one way but not the other. If someone (wife) tries forcing it, it binds up and I have to disassemble it to free it I have been hoping to find a blank, and take it to a locksmith to see if they can make it work properly. I've been going to call VTS to see if they have any available, but I don't think they do.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:06 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
1973 25' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
I repair and sell the Bargman Locks. I will be glad to help you with your lock if you are needing help. Write me by email @ r_whiten@hotmail.com and I will give you my number. Glad to help you.
Rick
montanablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Montanablue. Did you ever get around to making exterior handles for the L77 lock assembly?
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:51 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
1973 25' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
No, we had some family issue. I have been talking a friend who does custom racing parts. He seems to think he can make them.
montanablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 03:00 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Boise , Idaho
Thanks for your responses, folks.

Using a detailed airforums thread, accompanied by pictures, I disassembled, cleaned and relubricated the lockset. Just today I took it to a locksmith, who was immediately able to determine that they had the blanks, and they are rekeying it for me as we speak.

All that said, I'm still a little put off by reports that the L100 has a tendency to lock itself, and to lock people in the trailer. If I understand how this lock works, from the inside the locking mechanism is supposed to disengage if you turn the handle in the appropriate direction. I don't really see how that could fail and leave you locked in the trailer. I can see you might accidentally lock the door and be locked OUT of the trailer.

Guess I'm still toying with whether I need a deadbolt. I've already got a wedge I use to make certain the door stays closed when towing.
Jamespio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:00 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
Lockport , Illinois
Your lucky to have found a good locksmith. I asked around and no one had a clue but I felt the same way with my l100 lock and decided to buy this replacement kit from inland...

http://www.inlandrv.com/catalog/prod...roducts_id=941

Haven't had the chance (or time) to install it yet though
fromthegitgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:02 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
Lockport , Illinois
(null)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1718.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	181.9 KB