Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2020, 07:34 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Lake Charles , SW Louisiana
Backside of Screen Door Slider Panel is Ugly!

Anyone found a solution, alternative means of concealing the ugly, unfinished backside of the plastic screen door slider panel?

We think it is ugly, looks unfinished and that by now, Airstream would have designed a newer version that would retain the function but have some form of finished look on the backside (ie. side facing exterior of screen door)...something like this (photo) which might end up adding $5 worth of addition design cost to each unit in the bigger scheme of simple improvements. Not to mention, Airstream's Logo is on the inward side of the panel vs. being on the exterior face of the screen door.

Curious if others fell/felt that same way and have done something to improve it or conceal the open backside of the moulded plastic screen door slide.

I'm thinking a set of micrometers is needed to measure slide rail width then make a trip to metal mart to see if I can find some thin wall brushed aluminum or even stainless sheeting if there is enough room (opening track width) to permit the panels to bypass one another. As well, a thin strip of felt could eliminate scarring from the panels bypassing one another.

In fact, I may change both being the fixed position section of the screen door panel and backside of the sliding access door such that the material matches.

Always Airstream and always something to do to them. Ideas?

Click image for larger version

Name:	screen door copy.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	557.4 KB
ID:	385309
Old 12-22-2020, 07:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Hmmm, older trailer here, and ours is white, but I agree, it bugs me too. Maybe have to take a look in the spring, and see what we can do with ours....

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 11:30 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Backside of Screen Door Slider Panel is Ugly!

Never gave it any thought. It’s finished on the inside when the door is closed and if we are outside with the screen door closed, we usually aren’t looking at the door.

Now that you point it out, I’ll probably add some stickers to it that are fun as we are quickly running out of room on our door.

PS has anyone ever noticed that the plastic shroud on the fantastic fan is a different color than the plastic that finishes around the windows???

Name:	IMG_4407.JPEG
Views:	11
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	385316

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 12:03 PM   #4
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I've seen some with clear lexan door slides.

But I think I like the stickers better.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 12:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, in 15 years we have never - ever thought about this. Now you started something.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 01:21 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Mercer Island , Washington
Also the inside of the door (at least on my 2006 25' FB) is beige. Matches absolutely nothing. When the door is left open, as it often is when docked in my backyard, it really bothers me.

I'm going to mask it and paint it a shade of grey this summer. Probably will do the same with the plastic slider on the screen.
btowntincan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 01:42 PM   #7
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, in 15 years we have never - ever thought about this. Now you started something.
Lucky we sold our Airstream and don't have to suffer like this.

Having some obsessive/compulsive traits, I like things to match, be symmetrical, and fit together well. But over the years I have found out some things—enjoy yourself and screw the minor stuff (I am not good at this, but getting better). Develop the ability to be selectively blind. Did you have mother deafness? Can you ignore TV commercials and ads in a newspaper? If so, you can ignore this and relax. If you can't, remove door and use a an old 3 foot wide shower curtain. Perhaps one with swans and lily pads on it. That will create opportunity for meeting new people who are curious about the Airstream with a shower curtain while you are walking your pet swan (they don't bark when you leave them in the trailer alone).

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 05:16 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Lake Charles , SW Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Always up to something, creating work for myself of which I don't always enjoy the benefits of but that's life.

FWIW, here's a photo of the bottom of our screen door, still more work but we like our traveling motto.

Daylight, Early Evening & Night Time

Name:	FTRTAU.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	894.1 KB
ID:	385345
Old 12-23-2020, 10:47 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
Petrolia , Ontario
Oh that annoying slider.

I've often considered upgrading ours too, as the darn thing keeps popping out of its track and of course it won't pop in nearly as easily. The only thing that's held me back is the door handle for the exterior door nests in that depression formed in the plastic. I'll be watching for the solutions others have come up with.

Regards
Jim
Portage to Caravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 03:58 PM   #10
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
The screen door hinges caused me problems. They never seemed to work just right. It seemed a bizarre system and our Nash has a much simpler and workable screen door. I don't know if everything matches on it, but I don't really pay attention.

Old 12-23-2020, 04:14 PM   #11
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Bob
🇺🇸

All we've done for the entrance, 'Pirate' the PWD aboard.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CAF410ED-A66D-44C8-B347-83909756FA4D_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	506.1 KB
ID:	385393   Click image for larger version

Name:	D611741E-50B6-4E82-BFBD-F4F3647328C2_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	739.6 KB
ID:	385394  

ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 06:21 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Talking Any Nash Complaints?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Lucky we sold our Airstream and don't have to suffer like this.

Having some obsessive/compulsive traits, I like things to match, be symmetrical, and fit together well. But over the years I have found out some things—enjoy yourself and screw the minor stuff (I am not good at this, but getting better). Develop the ability to be selectively blind. Did you have mother deafness? Can you ignore TV commercials and ads in a newspaper? If so, you can ignore this and relax. If you can't, remove door and use a an old 3 foot wide shower curtain. Perhaps one with swans and lily pads on it. That will create opportunity for meeting new people who are curious about the Airstream with a shower curtain while you are walking your pet swan (they don't bark when you leave them in the trailer alone).
The ugly screen door matches the rest of the ugliness of the Nash trailer. So the matching is perfect. Right?? I'll bet no one ever complains about a Nash having issues. Of course there may not be many 20 year old Nash's left on the road. They almost dissolve at that point.
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 05:36 PM   #13
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Most RV's are ugly. The swirls and birds on the Nash look dumb to me. We bought an Airstream based on reputation and style. The style was fine. The reputation for quality was not what we thought. If the Nash dissolves in 20 years for my 100th birthday, I probably won't be around to see it and it will probably have been sold to someone else. I would like to see an RV dissolve—possibly an H2SO4 shower would help. Or just fling it.

The Nash is at the Oregon factory tofix a problem that came up after warranty. They did this for free, including transit. It could have been fixed here by a local company, but they wanted to make sure it was done right. The transportation must have cost them plenty. I am pretty impressed how they stand behind their product, but I have forgotten what the door looks like inside.

Wally's design was a great advance for camping. The early influence of Airstream had as much to do with RV'ing as anything. I have no idea who designed the doors, but functionality is more important to me after struggling to make the screen door hinges work properly (I vaguely remember working on that with Lew Farber many years ago). Ron Nash started Northwood Mfg and named the ugly trailer after himself. I wish he had more style creativity. The myth all other RV's fall apart in a few years is just not true. Some do—a lot of them seem to be made by Thor.

I am waiting for the perfect product at a reasonable price. I hope form and function can be merged. I think I could design a nearly perfect and attractive RV but somehow no one has called. Mr. MoneyBags, are you out there?

Old 12-25-2020, 08:37 AM   #14
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Sorry. I invested it all in lottery tickets. What little I have left is going into prop bets on NFL games.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 07:21 PM   #15
DMP
1 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Jax , Florida
Hey Rick and Lydia, We thought everyone knew that was the chick-fil-a window. Our young grandkids use it all the time to place orders, pass plates back and forth, and spy on comings and goings in the campgrounds. Like your potential mods tho. Carry on...
DMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 05:22 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Lake Wales , Florida
Paint it.
susans69 is offline   Reply With Quote