Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-25-2009, 06:17 AM   #1
Silver Condo III

2015 30' International
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Another Dumb Question

Hi Folks,

We are really enjoying our new trailer. There are a few quirky things though, one of them being the door. Why would Airstream design a trailer that when you open the door it covers up one of the dinette windows?

So my question is - can the door be reversed? That is instead of being hinged on the left, hinge it on the right. I know there is the awning issue (the door won't open flat), but I think I would rather have that, then blocking off a window in the dinette.

Look forward to your thoughts and answers.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:33 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Why Airstream would do that? Sometimes they just have to choose the lesser of two evils. When they first came out with the 25FB several years ago, the door was rear hinged and hit the awning arm. After the production of about a dozen units, they decided that this was wrong, and switched it around. Then it covered the kitchen window when full opened. Either way, there was a down side. In the case of the 25FB, I think that they opted for the front-hinged version so that there was not a suicide door situation where, if the door were ajar, it would be more likely to blow open while underway.

As far as changing your door, it could be done, but at great expense, as it would require a whole new door and door frame.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote