Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-30-2017, 12:11 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Mountain Home , Arkansas
76 Sovereign potable water access lock/key issues.

I ordered a water service key and neither it nor the main trailer key will open the access. Any others with similar problems? I was hoping this key I ordered would work, but no luck. Unless there's a tip, I'll have to go to a locksmith.
Scotty033x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 12:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile

I believe water door key for 76 AS all same if you no some one close have key made or maybe I can have one made and send stamp and blank and copy cost as I have done for several other keys exc. water. PM me to discuss matter and address.The only key that I no that is dif. is entry door.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 04:33 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
The key for the water fill was a double sided key provided by Thetford. It had nothing in common with the main door key or the keys that opened the storage or refrigerator compartments.

John

PS: I think that the keys for the water fill were universal. If you find one, it should work on any water fill.
Trnpk Crsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 04:43 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
The key to the water fill was a double sided key that came from Thetford. Neither the main door key, or keys to the storage and refrigerator compartments fit it. I think that all of Thetford keys were the same, so if you find one, it should fit.

John
Trnpk Crsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 08:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trnpk Crsr View Post
The key to the water fill was a double sided key that came from Thetford. Neither the main door key, or keys to the storage and refrigerator compartments fit it. I think that all of Thetford keys were the same, so if you find one, it should fit.

John
The water door is a thetford but on 1976 AS the key is not double cut, only one side and blanks readily available as I have had several made for my 76 AS plus all other key blanks are avble. locally
Old 07-01-2017, 09:38 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Mountain Home , Arkansas
Yes, the one I ordered and received was separate from the others and it is double sided. However, it does not work and neither does the standard key. I believe it must have had the cylinder replaced with a random key that I don't have now so will need to get it re-keyed.
Old 07-01-2017, 10:39 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty033x View Post
Yes, the one I ordered and received was separate from the others and it is double sided. However, it does not work and neither does the standard key. I believe it must have had the cylinder replaced with a random key that I don't have now so will need to get it re-keyed.
What year is AS? I no 76 used single sided key. Does yours take single or dble. double side key? If dble. has been replaced as 76 takes single cut key. compartment doors key and reefer door all dif.
Old 07-01-2017, 11:37 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Or buy a new standard cylinder and key, so your unit is closer to OEM?

For instance would this fit the door?

http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/...-p/vts-454.htm

Good luck!

PS -- or one of these?

http://www.rvpartscountry.com/RvComp...geLocksLatches
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:51 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
My key is single sided and has the number 87 stamped on it. No letters just 87.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 04:07 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Mountain Home , Arkansas
It's a 76 Sovereign. And the lock does appear to be one-sided. I'll contact the place I ordered it to see what should work, but may just hit a local locksmith. Thanks for all the information
Old 07-05-2017, 07:03 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Question

Quote:
It's a 76 Sovereign. And the lock does appear to be one-sided. I'll contact the place I ordered it to see what should work, but may just hit a local locksmith. Thanks for all the information
Key should be avble. as all 76 water door keys were same, also some one could have one made as I offered but no return your part.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:49 AM   #12

1976 31' Sovereign
newton , North Carolina
http://odmrv.com/catalog/index.php?m...roducts_id=581

Does this look right?
Jmanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:06 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Scotty -- just confirming that the lock/key being discussed is not Airstream OEM, correct? Folks have been missing that important detail IMO.

Thanks,

Peter

Quote:
. . .
I believe it must have had the cylinder replaced with a random key that I don't have now so will need to get it re-keyed.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 11:05 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Mountain Home , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmanny View Post

That looks like what I have and the key I ordered, but key doesn't go in
Old 07-08-2017, 11:09 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Mountain Home , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Scotty -- just confirming that the lock/key being discussed is not Airstream OEM, correct? Folks have been missing that important detail IMO.

Thanks,

Peter

I'm not sure at this point. It appears to be single sided key lock, I ordered a water access key and it's double sided and won't fit, but I've been told in this thread that the 76 water had a single sided key. Not sue what I have
Old 07-27-2017, 07:37 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Mountain Home , Arkansas
I went to a local rv dealer who also has a store and repair shop just by chance they could offer some help. They said many Rv's have a common key for some things and I might try it. Bought a single sided key they recommended for $2.95, and IT WORKED! I now have about 4 different keys for various locks on my AS, but happy I can access everything

Tags
sovereign