Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-17-2012, 09:50 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
cary , North Carolina
'75 KT lock, roll pins?

So, I have sought to rebuild this lock. I have all the pieaces as well as the lock cylinder(original) and extra spare blank key, But I am having some problems pulling the pins out of the "paddle?" theirs 2, I was able to drill one out, but the other one I cant seem to get the bit to hit it dead center, or grab it, the pins are rusted out. heres some pics...

My question is, do I take this to a machine shop? or can I do it here at home? im not worried about the the pin the paddle connects to, I just have to get it out, so I can replace it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07755 (Large).jpg
Views:	226
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	174849   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07758 (Large).jpg
Views:	193
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	174850  

shadeemry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:00 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
cary , North Carolina
THe piece I'm trying to replace is the vertical shaft, and the lever spring, so as a not, if I have to cut the vertical shaft out, I'm not opposed.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:28 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Shad, those look like roll pins, which are hard steel and may be difficult to drill out. A drill press , running slow with some cutting oil, and a clamp might get it done.

Have you tried soaking them with a good penetrating oil and then a drift punch?

John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:41 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadeemry View Post
So, I have sought to rebuild this lock. I have all the pieaces as well as the lock cylinder(original) and extra spare blank key, But I am having some problems pulling the pins out of the "paddle?" theirs 2, I was able to drill one out, but the other one I cant seem to get the bit to hit it dead center, or grab it, the pins are rusted out. heres some pics...

My question is, do I take this to a machine shop? or can I do it here at home? im not worried about the the pin the paddle connects to, I just have to get it out, so I can replace it.
Quote:
THe piece I'm trying to replace is the vertical shaft, and the lever spring, so as a not, if I have to cut the vertical shaft out, I'm not opposed.
You're not that far away from your local dealer, and it would probably be worth your time to take the lock there for repair. I know they have the parts, and the guy I suspect will be given the task of repairing it has a KT lock, and knows how to repair them.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:57 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper
Shad, those look like roll pins, which are hard steel and may be difficult to drill out. A drill press , running slow with some cutting oil, and a clamp might get it done.

Have you tried soaking them with a good penetrating oil and then a drift punch?

John
I'll try the drift punch, but doesn't that require that you have access to both sides?
Old 12-18-2012, 06:38 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Are you using a roll pin punch, as they have a small ball on the end to stay centered on the pin. they are designed for removing roll pins

Amazon.com: Craftsman 9-43167 Roll Pin Punch Set, 6-Piece: Home Improvement
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:55 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood
Are you using a roll pin punch, as they have a small ball on the end to stay centered on the pin. they are designed for removing roll pins

Amazon.com: Craftsman 9-43167 Roll Pin Punch Set, 6-Piece: Home Improvement
Im pretty new at this roll pin thing, do I insert the punch and use it to pull out? As far as I can tell, these are blind holes, the roll pins cant slide out a back, its right against the handle itself, and these have to be removed in order to pull the vertical shaft out to replace it.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:07 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Shad , if it is indeed a roll pin it will need to be punched out, requiring, as you noted, access to the back side. The proper punch would also maker an easier task.

I don't know how much beating and banging the lock can take before it breaks. Some penetrating oil may help.

John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:08 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Quote:
Im pretty new at this roll pin thing, do I insert the punch and use it to pull out? As far as I can tell, these are blind holes, the roll pins cant slide out a back, its right against the handle itself, and these have to be removed in order to pull the vertical shaft out to replace it.
I don't remember if the holes went all the way through or not. The tools I showed you are for removing pins that are in though holes.

I removed my KT latch, sold it and replaced it with a different type of latch that only cost 40 bucks. I had to reskin the door anyway because it was in sad shape. Its all in my thread below as to how I did this.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:51 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
cary , North Carolina
So it turns out the kt locks are not dead end holes, their very tricky..

And you HAVE to be careful, this locks are made of pot metal.

The holes diameter looks to be 1/16 boarding 1/8. Their standard roll pins.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-44125624.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	306.9 KB
ID:	174882  
Old 01-07-2013, 10:06 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
I know this is to late to help but I just came across this thread since I share the login with my wife. I have been a certified locksmith for 25 years and I have removed hundreds of blind roll pins over the years in car ignition locks,safes etc. so I thought I would let you know how I did it. First, use a small drill bit, usually somewhere in the 1/16 to 1/8 range and start drilling a hole parallel next to the roll pin. As soon as the bit starts cutting, turn and angle the drilling at about a 45 degree angle to the pin and drill towards it until you just nick it and then stop. (I do it like this because its to hard to start drilling on a curved surface at a 45 degree angle) You have now created a place for leverage. Then I take an awl or some people call it a scratch awl with a nice point ground on the end of it and with the hardware or lock in a vise or somewhere where you can push hard away from yourself and or hands so you don't stab yourself you push into the hole you drilled against the roll pin and pry up. The roll pin will come up enough to grab it with good plyers. This hole will not damage the integrity of the roll pin or hardware and can be tapped back in after service. I used to take a little lead shot ball and tap it in the hole I drilled afterwards and file it smooth to cosmetically make the hole disappear.
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:59 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Mine just bit the dust this weekend. Had to cut the front screen out to gain access to open the door.

I got the latch out and it appears that one of the roll pins rusted completely away, and the other one was partly rusted and failed due to the extra load on it.
Got it apart, so all I need to do is get the remnants out and put new pins in. Otherwise lock set is in good shape except for the actual latch bolt, which is worn.

I am thinking of filling it in with a mig welder and then grinding it back down to "normal". Has anyone done this?
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:41 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pick View Post
Mine just bit the dust this weekend. Had to cut the front screen out to gain access to open the door.

I got the latch out and it appears that one of the roll pins rusted completely away, and the other one was partly rusted and failed due to the extra load on it.
Got it apart, so all I need to do is get the remnants out and put new pins in. Otherwise lock set is in good shape except for the actual latch bolt, which is worn.

I am thinking of filling it in with a mig welder and then grinding it back down to "normal". Has anyone done this?
Got pics so we can see better? And don't weld that at all..it's pot metal..that would destroy that lock so I'm told.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:39 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
The only part that I was going to fill in weld was the actual bolt. It does not appear to be made of "pot metal", but of some kind of steel.

RickDavis was a guest for a weekend, and he and I decided to fill in the groove with JB Weld. I have not used the door much, since the new roll pins and fill in were performed, just about once a day to open/close windows and vents.

I will post some pictures after I am able to re-size them, for the forum.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:26 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
I fixed mine...the tab of pot metal that the spring compresses against was broken. JB weld worked great! Also, I replaced my roll pins because they had elongated the holes in the shaft. I replaced them with split pins from Ace Hardware for .20 cents each. The split in the shaft allows it to compress during entry into the pilot hole and expand and tighten up when installed. So far, so good...the latch assy. works great!
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:19 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrunes View Post
I fixed mine...the tab of pot metal that the spring compresses against was broken. JB weld worked great! Also, I replaced my roll pins because they had elongated the holes in the shaft. I replaced them with split pins from Ace Hardware for .20 cents each. The split in the shaft allows it to compress during entry into the pilot hole and expand and tighten up when installed. So far, so good...the latch assy. works great!
heck yeah, well now I have an extra kt lock.