Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-21-2013, 02:16 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
Burnaby , British Columbia
'66 Tradewinds Lock Set and Deadbolt Questions

Hi All! We have recently become the proud owners of our first Airstream, and are plunging in to the first of many projects in her restoration. First things first, making it secure!

The door has obviously had numerous mods and issues in the past. I suspect it has been broken in to at least once in the past, and is ripe for another one, especially in my neighbourhood!

I am attaching some photos so that you can see the state of the door now.

At some time, it may have had a deadbolt installed, which is no longer there. I am trying to replace it.

First question- Did 66 Airstreams have a deadbolt as a factory install or option? I'm pretty sure whatever was there previously, was added later on mine.

In picture 1, There is a hole in the door itself for a deadbolt or original door set lock. It is possible that the original door set may have been moved to a higher position.

I have not been successful in finding a new deadbolt set that actually fits this bottom hole. The hole for the backset is only 7/8" and every deadbolt I have found is 1".

At this point, I am going to try to modify a 1" set to work.

I am planning to bore out the metal a bit more on the existing hole . There isnt much room to spare and Im a little nervous, but dont see any other option.

I am also having some issues finding a flush strike plate to hold the backset that will fit the bottom hole, I hope to find something to solve that dilemma but no success yet. Hoping someone here might have some ideas on that front. I think in worst case I could go with out that strike plate but worry that the backset could be more easily prone to movement or turning if there is pressure applied.

On the trailer side, picture 2, there is evidence that the metal frame and Door set strike reinforcer (top hole) has been tampered with as evidenced by the large chunk missing. . I am hoping to fashion a small piece of metal to cover that hole that I would rivet on the outside.

Also , in picture 2, the bottom reinforcer plate, (white plastic) which the previous deadbolt or old lockset would have sat in, is degraded and needs to be replaced. I have removed it and don't anticipate any issues with replacing this piece with something similar to the one above it. VTS does sell the plastic replacement ones but it seems the metal would be stronger?

Picture 3 shows the interior skin with the screen door clip. The existing hole will need to be covered with a patch and a larger hole bored for the new lock set. Trying figure out what was there before???? Strange set up with the holes....this is what leads me to believe that originally the bargeman door set might have lived here....doesn't look like any deadbolt set up I have ever seen...

Would it be a good idea to use a metal patch here for added strength?

I plan on placing the screen door clip with something beefier. I have one on order from VTS.

I removed the interior skin yesterday to take a look at the existing assembly and do an assessment.

When I removed the interior skin, I discovered something very strange. Between the interior and exterior skins there was a wooden brace that was the shape of an "E" - but backwards.

The brace had obviously held the bargeman set in place as well as what ever was below it. The moment I removed the interior skin, this wooden brace disintegrated ( it was old plywood). Whoopsie. Looks like there was some water damage there....

I taped that wooden brace together as best I could in order to be able to lock the door.

sadly I forgot to take a photo of it before I reattached the skin. Which I had to re-rivet as I had no CLecos that would fit.

What I am wondering is what would have originally been there as a brace for the lockset. Also thinking that moving forward, I should fashion something out of metal or aluminum to replace it. "C" channel perhaps?

If anyone has photos of their set up (original or not) for this vintage I would love to see them to reference.

Also, has anyone here ever found a 7/8" backset?

Thanks in advance for your input!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	271.1 KB
ID:	191342  
maggieevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:18 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
Photo 2

Trailer door frame side
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	168
Size:	313.2 KB
ID:	191343  
Old 07-21-2013, 02:19 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
Interior Door Photo

Complete with mystery hole....
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	130
Size:	306.4 KB
ID:	191344  
Old 07-21-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Hi maggie,
Photo 1 is where the dead bolt comes out of the door
photo 2 is where the deadbolt goes once it is turned to the lock position
photo 3 is where the deadbolt knob goes through the inner door skin and attaches to the deadbolt.
I just came in from taking a couple of pictures to help explain only to find that our new computer tower doesn't have a place to insert the card. There are a couple of small ports to plug into but I don't have a cable to make it happen. What i see is pretty much factory ( I think you just need to find the right deadbolt from one of the vintage suppliers to fix ...should be easy ...
Barry & Karen
goshawks00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:31 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
Hi Barry! I have the photo you sent but I was not aware that yours was original? I have checked with VTS but they do not sell a deadbolt that size. Seems no one does which is why I was going to attempt and modify the door to fit a 1" backset.

Maybe I will keep looking?
Old 07-22-2013, 04:58 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Try calling VintageCampers.com :: Vintage Campers, Vintage Trailers, Vintage Parts, Vintage Restorations It would be best to use an original if possible, the original didn't go all the way through the door but was only usable from the inside. Does your keyed lock work?
Old 07-22-2013, 06:55 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggieevans View Post
Hi Barry! I have the photo you sent but I was not aware that yours was original? I have checked with VTS but they do not sell a deadbolt that size. Seems no one does which is why I was going to attempt and modify the door to fit a 1" backset.

Maybe I will keep looking?
Most likely someone added the dead bolt that was used in the 67 models.

It's been history for over 40 years.

Your photo shows that the nylon striker pocket, is broken and should be replaced.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:15 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
Barry - I have emailed Vintage Campers. Crossing my fingers... The Bargman set does work - but I live in a cough... high crime area. lol. Vancouver - land of the crackhead.

The trailer has been broken into in the past, and could easily be broken into again with a screwdriver. The deadbolt is really needed!
Old 07-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
The original deabolt is for use from the inside... Your regular doorknob has a keyed lock for locking from the outside. If you need more than that , then you'll have to find some type of after market dead bolt that can also be locked from the outside .
Old 07-22-2013, 08:18 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
Pics of our setup

Maggie- Congrats on your 66 Tradewind! Here are two pics of how ours is set up and it works great for us, we use the deadbolt every day.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:22 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
2 pics

The pics did not upload in the previous post, I hope they work now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3137.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	288.4 KB
ID:	191475   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3132.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	311.7 KB
ID:	191476  

Old 07-23-2013, 05:10 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
Thanks jezibels! that is exactly what I am trying to do. I went and spoke with a local locksmith today and he told me that I will never find a 7/8" latch . They no longer are made by anyone. I then went to Home Depot and bought a grinding router type drill bit that I am going to use in an attempt to drill the hole larger to accept the 1" backset.

Wish me luck... Thanks everyone for your help.

Also has anyone here ever had the interior door skin removed to see what internal framing and support your locks have? Mine has some old plywood that I am going to replace hopefully with aluminum c channel (see initial post).

Cheers!
Old 07-23-2013, 08:06 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
No problem Maggie! A picture is worth a thousand words! Glad it helped! Good luck with your little project ; )