Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2008, 04:38 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Bowling Green , Missouri
'62 door knob not catching

We replaced the doorknob/lock on our '62 Trade Wind with a correct reproduction unit. The old had round knobs on both sides where the new one has a lever on the inside. Many times, the lever on the inside turns clear around instead of stopping, and some times unless you push in on it, it won't catch to open the door. I've been told there is wood inside the door near the lock, and that it has deteriorated, allowing the door to squeeze there a bit, causing the problem. However, when you take the door latch apart, it appears as though the square shaft inside is not fully engaging the square hole in the other side, as there are scuff marks on what appears to be a small brass guide. In other words, it looks like the shaft is not long enough. Also, you have to push in on the outside knob to get it to engage.

Any help?
retrocats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:26 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Mancos , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to AirstreamGypsy
Quote:
Originally Posted by retrocats
In other words, it looks like the shaft is not long enough. Also, you have to push in on the outside knob to get it to engage.

Any help?

Hi Retro,
Most likely this is the problem. However, since the inside knob(lever) spins around there appears to be more of a problem. Did all the correct pieces get installed.

A few years ago I installed a new door knob. My original would no longer lock. You could just push a little and turn firmly. Not the safest way to travel.

Ever since then I also have had to push on my door to get the lock to firmly latch. Either my door has shrunk (not an impossibility), changed it's shape (very likely) and, or the striker is not long enough.

Try starting over taking extra care to make sure the whole assembly is as far toward the appropriate side as possible. There is usually at least 1/8" play, sometimes more.

Good luck, hope this helped a little.
My Earthship
AirstreamGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote