Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2020, 08:36 AM   #21
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTN View Post
Hello all. This is my second post in 4 days of ownership. I feel like I have made a catastrophic mistake. Dreamed of owning an AS for 20 years. Hoping doesn't become nightmare.

Since day 1 even at dealership, door didn't seem right. Didn't have that fully satisfying close. IT did close, but even looked adjar to extent needed to double check. Dealer didn't do any walk through or really anything for with us (that's a separate issue that will be address in a future post when I have had time to reflect and my anger at the dealership subsides).

Today, the door would shut. Even if I fully push on it cant get it to latch. The mechanism is fine. ITs the door is completely off. I can get it to latch only with a moderate slam of the door. When doing this, the deadbolt doesn't engage and i can see light all the way around the door clearly indicating door weather strip no touching frame.

Looking for advice. I bought from a dealer 1000 miles away for multiple reasons (was only model available and I had business in that area making it convenient to purchase). I live 2.5 hours from an AS dealer. Gonna try my dealer tomorrow and ask for GM as multiple emails texts have been ignored.

This is on top of an electrical issue that has me completely stumped. See pics
Hi NCTN,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issues you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information, email and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we learn more and share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

Thank you.*
Old 05-29-2020, 02:22 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Chapin , South Carolina
NCTN, my door was a PITA to get fully closed. Not bad from the outside, but really had to slam from the inside. The video showing beating it into submission didn't help nor did I like it. Looking from the outside and slowly closing the door, I could see the the latch post was almost 1/4" higher than the center of the latch jaws. I drilled out the two rivets holding the latch bolt plate, slid it down to line up correctly, redrilled and riveted it back. Door is now basically an easy, two finger push or pull to fully latch. A 10 minute fix that relieved a lot of frustration.
StuartsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 03:51 PM   #23
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
Hold tight. Just birthing pains with a hand built trailer, albeit an expensive one. Many of us have gone through it and come out the other side happy enough. You will too.
Old 05-29-2020, 04:06 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1993 25' Excella
Flagler Beach , Florida
wine.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTN View Post
Hello all. This is my second post in 4 days of ownership. I feel like I have made a catastrophic mistake. Dreamed of owning an AS for 20 years. Hoping doesn't become nightmare.

Since day 1 even at dealership, door didn't seem right. Didn't have that fully satisfying close. IT did close, but even looked adjar to extent needed to double check. Dealer didn't do any walk through or really anything for with us (that's a separate issue that will be address in a future post when I have had time to reflect and my anger at the dealership subsides).

Today, the door would shut. Even if I fully push on it cant get it to latch. The mechanism is fine. ITs the door is completely off. I can get it to latch only with a moderate slam of the door. When doing this, the deadbolt doesn't engage and i can see light all the way around the door clearly indicating door weather strip no touching frame.

Looking for advice. I bought from a dealer 1000 miles away for multiple reasons (was only model available and I had business in that area making it convenient to purchase). I live 2.5 hours from an AS dealer. Gonna try my dealer tomorrow and ask for GM as multiple emails texts have been ignored.

This is on top of an electrical issue that has me completely stumped. See pics
glass of wine an think about it........
AFTER TAXES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 05:50 PM   #25
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
The longer the trailer the more flex, twist and bending will occur, not counting road undulations, drop offs, dips and bumps. Therefore, the method the Factory recommends is more than adequate for adjustment. What he is doing is adjusting all the edges to a happy medium so there is room for movement in all directions. In another aluminum trailer I hit as unseen dip so hard that not only did it unload my refrigerator, but when I stopped to check it out, the dead bolt was jammed and I could not get in. Solution: Called a locksmith at 11pm to come fix it. He drilled out the dead bolt. After a healthy tip I was able to go park and clean up the refrigerator mess.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 06:57 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
It's not just yours. We have to slam our door. I expect the dealer to adjust when we do our first warranty visit.
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 12:48 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Morgan Hill , California
If you need to SLAM the door there is a problem. Find the problem, fix the problem.
Close a door easy then push for final lock/click.

Slamming means energy. That energy has to go somewhere which isn't doing the AS any good.
kbmwrs is offline   Reply With Quote