Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2020, 07:56 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2020 27' Flying Cloud
Erwin , Tennessee
4 day old Flying Cloud - Door Won’t Close

Hello all. This is my second post in 4 days of ownership. I feel like I have made a catastrophic mistake. Dreamed of owning an AS for 20 years. Hoping doesn't become nightmare.

Since day 1 even at dealership, door didn't seem right. Didn't have that fully satisfying close. IT did close, but even looked adjar to extent needed to double check. Dealer didn't do any walk through or really anything for with us (that's a separate issue that will be address in a future post when I have had time to reflect and my anger at the dealership subsides).

Today, the door would shut. Even if I fully push on it cant get it to latch. The mechanism is fine. ITs the door is completely off. I can get it to latch only with a moderate slam of the door. When doing this, the deadbolt doesn't engage and i can see light all the way around the door clearly indicating door weather strip no touching frame.

Looking for advice. I bought from a dealer 1000 miles away for multiple reasons (was only model available and I had business in that area making it convenient to purchase). I live 2.5 hours from an AS dealer. Gonna try my dealer tomorrow and ask for GM as multiple emails texts have been ignored.

This is on top of an electrical issue that has me completely stumped. See pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AS door pic 1.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	368818   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS door pic 2.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	368819  

Click image for larger version

Name:	entry door interior light showing.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	368820  
NCTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:22 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Newport , Washington
The doors can be adjusted by any competent dealer. Even if you purchased it elsewhere your nearest dealer should be able to help. Also, you didn't mention whether or not you had the stabilizers down but if so and they are too tight they can cause some frame flexing which can cause door issues. The stabilizers should firmly press into the ground but that's all.

2018 Flying Cloud 19
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Diesel
KelloggKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
On my 2019 Flying Cloud, I have had to tighten the striker bolt on the door frame a few times. It works its way loose, and then the rotary latch on the door doesn't align properly. Take a look and see if the striker bolt it tight.
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
4 day old Flying Cloud - door wont close

Second vote for stabilizers being over-extended. Just retract them and see what happens.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelloggKid View Post
The doors can be adjusted by any competent dealer. Even if you purchased it elsewhere your nearest dealer should be able to help. Also, you didn't mention whether or not you had the stabilizers down but if so and they are too tight they can cause some frame flexing which can cause door issues. The stabilizers should firmly press into the ground but that's all.
Yep, ease off the stabilizers. Standard newbie minor mistake.

Adjusting the post IS something you can do. Look at it. It has a hex mount. Put lipstick on the post. Shut, then open the door and look where the strike hit it (see not crazy with the lipstick). Loosen the post slightly, move it slightly, then re-tighten. Fiddle in small increments until you get it right. Spray the post and jaws of lock with silicone too.

What state was this dealer in? Big no-no to have no walk thru.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:38 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
Don't panic, door fit issues are very common, there are lot of threads here about it. Airstream even has a nifty youtube video showing you exactly how they and the dealers solve door fit issues as long as things are less than 1/8 to 1/4 inch out of alignment. Looking at your pictures, I think mine was worse and now it fits great.

Don't be alarmed to learn you fix these issues using a hammer, a chisel and some 2x4s. You bow the door inward in the middle by closing it on some 2x4s and moderately pushing on the bowed outward part.

Or you can take it to a better dealer and they will do it for you. Have a look at the video though you can at least get it to close with a little adjustment.

I'd link the video for you but I'm feeling lazy just now. Also note that the most common cause for the door to go out of alignment is by putting too much force on the stabilizers. Relax the pressure on them before you start adjusting the door, you might even find the door will close without adjustment though from your pictures your door needs some adjustment.

Edit: Others beat me to some of this of this, ah well.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:41 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Tennessee Cumberland Plateau Campground - Airstream only park... many veteran campers will help you learn.

Wear a good mask and use hand sanitizer... most of us are "at risk" agewise.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:44 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2020 27' Flying Cloud
Erwin , Tennessee
Eased off stabilizers. Very very slight improvement. thanks for advice on that. Can now push it latched with moderate force without slamming. Its dark so put a flashlight outside and from inside it seems slight improvement in the seal based on reduced light coming through. Will play around tomorrow in the daylight. Gonna watch a few youtube videos now that i feel the needed adjustment is not quite as much.

Thank you all. In the time from posting to getting response, I have realized that basically the warranty is near useless and that I have no choice but to learn how to repair myself. I will report back tomorrow.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:54 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2020 27' Flying Cloud
Erwin , Tennessee
Update:

Stabilizers were not bearing any weight but I did ease off them and that was a little helpful. Watched that youtube video on door adjustment several times and went to task.

Spent about 90 minutes very slowly going just a little at a time and got myself to point where door closes and clicks, needs a bit of force to full click second time, and will only deadbolt by leaning on door.

I am not 100% happy but my door closes and I have the ability to secure it now. Plan to ride like this for a while and see if possibly in naturally settles in with use, I have a trip planned near an AS dealer, or I get fed up and really get the courage to lay into it.

Thanks all! Still working on my GFCI issue and my new issue...solar panels not charging battery. Will post that another time.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:33 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2018 28' Tommy Bahama
Silver City , New Mexico
Here's the way the factory AS folks adjust the door:

Good Luck & Welcome aboard!!!
ursuit - FS; $$$$ - GONE
If it ain't broke I can break it
A dime still makes a pretty good screwdriver
journeydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 10:36 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Currently Looking...
Antes Fort , Pennsylvania
I always recommend camping near the dealer for a week or so, after a purchase. Ask if he will make 'house' calls if any problems show up.
alphamale49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 12:52 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
We had a door alignment issue where it would close but not easily. After about a year on the road, our dealer fixed it. Our warranty experience was positive with warranty work being done to our satisfaction at several dealers while traveling North America.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 01:16 PM   #13
CruiserGa

2004 25' Safari
Gainesville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by journeydog View Post

That video does not build confidence in the brand! lol
Seems pretty shade tree to me...
Bmccorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 01:41 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTN View Post
Hello all. This is my second post in 4 days of ownership. I feel like I have made a catastrophic mistake. Dreamed of owning an AS for 20 years. Hoping doesn't become nightmare.

Since day 1 even at dealership, door didn't seem right. Didn't have that fully satisfying close. IT did close, but even looked adjar to extent needed to double check. Dealer didn't do any walk through or really anything for with us (that's a separate issue that will be address in a future post when I have had time to reflect and my anger at the dealership subsides).

Today, the door would shut. Even if I fully push on it cant get it to latch. The mechanism is fine. ITs the door is completely off. I can get it to latch only with a moderate slam of the door. When doing this, the deadbolt doesn't engage and i can see light all the way around the door clearly indicating door weather strip no touching frame.

Looking for advice. I bought from a dealer 1000 miles away for multiple reasons (was only model available and I had business in that area making it convenient to purchase). I live 2.5 hours from an AS dealer. Gonna try my dealer tomorrow and ask for GM as multiple emails texts have been ignored.

This is on top of an electrical issue that has me completely stumped. See pics
Is your rig level side to side and front to back? It doesn’t take much to cause the door to be off kilter. We have all been there!
ljsigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 03:18 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
Actually, The video illustrates the essence of the problem.....
An Airstream is a hand built unit, but one of virtually no tolerances, which requires all kinds of precision, in order to be a functioning unit at all.....
SOB'S are literally slapped together, using the cheapest, lowest quality materials available, and employing very low quality standards, which of course explains why they fall apart so quickly.....
Yes, it is irritating when something goes wrong with a brand new Airstream, I get that.....But at the same time, they are a collection of parts, most of which are not made by Airstream, and are subject to failures.....But lest we forget, we own something that , with correct maintenance, will last forever.....THat is not to be taken lightly.....What else do we buy, with that kind of potential longevity? Not a car or truck, or boat, or motorcycle......Maybe a plane, for those of us that own planes, could fall into the same category as an Airstream.....Our houses may or may not last as long, but for sure, not without massive investments along the way.....But that Airstream, given regular maintenance, will last forever.....that is quite a feat, i m o.....
Remember, it is a mobile apartment...so many things could go wrong, but really, do not very often......

I do think the old Airstreams have a distinct advantage, as it relates to longevity, because of the lack of technology stuff......bells and whistles are nice, until they break, and it seems that all the tech stuff breaks, and in some cases, regularly.......
I do not know if it is possible to order an Airstream without any tech stuff.....but I certainly would do so, were I to buy a new one, if it were available.....
Find a way to enjoy life and have fun, every day !
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 06:10 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCTN View Post
Eased off stabilizers. Very very slight improvement. thanks for advice on that. Can now push it latched with moderate force without slamming. Its dark so put a flashlight outside and from inside it seems slight improvement in the seal based on reduced light coming through. Will play around tomorrow in the daylight. Gonna watch a few youtube videos now that i feel the needed adjustment is not quite as much.

Thank you all. In the time from posting to getting response, I have realized that basically the warranty is near useless and that I have no choice but to learn how to repair myself. I will report back tomorrow.
I would not say that the warranty is useless, however you are probably going g to own this trailer for 5 to 25 years and the warranty ends at 3 years.
There are hundreds of small, simple things you can do yourself in an hour or less. Each of them would take, at minimum, a full 2 days to go to the dealer or factory, wait for hours, camp over night and drive home.
It is easier, faster, cheaper, and smarter to do the small stuff yourself. Consider collecting a list of warranty issues and going to the dealer after six months with the list. Naturally a severe safety issue is different - and the drill for that is
FORUM
FRIEND OF THE AIRSTREAM PERSUASION
FACTORY or dealer.

Soon you will become a guru, Grasshopper.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:51 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Best Post for Fixing Stuff with a hammer and wood block

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeydog View Post
This video would have taken pages of text just to get everyone confused.

Wood blocks and a heavy hammer also adjust older CAR doors, as well. Body shop people may want to step in and make comment.

I checked the door on our 2019 27 foot International and it takes in little dust at the base of the door. The door gasket may need to relax some, otherwise I will use some of this 3M electrical tape that is a soft thick rubber and finish sealing the lower door, after building up the corners. No bending needed, but 'have hammer will travel'.

Great video. If I have a door problem... I have the wood blocks and a hammer with us on every trip.

Need your Door adjusted? I need practice and am not bashful. Meet us in the Gila National Forest on Forest Service Road 49. If you made it that far... you will NEED more work than a door. Let me at the Screen Door hinges... only the owner would be a bit nervous to work on their OWN Airstream. Myself and a few others... let us at it and get out of the way.

Experience is valuable. How do you figure people learned in the first place? Working on THEIR own stuff? Well, probably... but after a few mistakes, it worked.

Best post on a Thread on the Forum since I became old enough to recognize a classic!!!
Old 05-28-2020, 08:37 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2000 30' Excella
GTA , Ontario
The video is how I also adjust car doors for wear in the hinges.
#4286 Stella the 2000 30ft Excella/Classic - Tow Vehicle - 2020 GMC Denali 1500 Duramax 3.0l Diesel, ProPride3 WDH.
previous tow vehicles 2012 Mercedes Benz GL350d - CanAmRv.ca hitch Reinforcement, 2005 Ford F150 Lariat 5.4L
Ultraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 08:39 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
Williamsburg , Virginia
You have a great rig, but bought from a crummy dealer. The door is unquestionably fixable. Small stuff.
AgBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 11:49 PM   #20
caz
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Elgin , Texas
My door needed adjustment and my dealer fixed it. Now I do not need to slam - just push once to hear click and push again to hear second click.
caz is offline   Reply With Quote