Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2020, 04:36 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Golden , Colorado
1972 door latch/lock help

I purchased a 1972 overlander 27’ and it has the original door lock and latch except the seller lost the keys and he had just rebuilt it. So, I have to replace it anyway and want something more secure so I’m
Looking for advice on which lock/latch system is best.

The lock/latch is rectangular and mounted horizontal, most new ones are more square shaped.

Any thoughts on how I accommodate a newer lock?

Thanks
Emmaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 08:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
There are lots of threads on this topic. Search for "KT lock replacement," and you should see many.

Basically, if you want to go to a different lock, there is no drop-in replacement. You can patch the existing hole, and then cut a new hole and make other mods to the door frame to accommodate a more conventional lock, or you can completely re-skin your door, if you want to spend a lot of time on the project.

A kit is sold by online suppliers like inlandRV.com or outofdoorsmart.com to facilitate the patch, or you could buy a $35 latch off of eBay, and cut your own patches from a scrap of aluminum.

Another option in your case would be to have a locksmith make you a new ket to the "rebuilt" latch you have, and install a dead bolt to make it more secure. A fairly low impact kit is available from Vintage trailer supply.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 05:07 PM   #3

New Braunfels , Texas
Emmaggy, If you decided to go with a new replacement lock/latch, I would be interested in purchasing the original.
JHET is offline   Reply With Quote