Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-26-2007, 12:49 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Michigander
So, does that mean you have them from you to fit my Argosy? Also, I just received the title from the previous owner. As it turns out it is a 1975 Argosy 24 not a 1977. From what I have read it does not seem that the two year difference will be any more of a problem.
The KT lock was used from 1970 thru 1977.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 12:32 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1977 21' Globetrotter
Abbotsford , British columbia
Unhappy 71 Overlander main door.

today, I tried open the main door for a half hour.
The key was not turned more than 540 degree.
so l could’nt open the door.
plase tell me what is best way to solve this problem.

I felt like almost break the key!!

yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 04:27 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Try pushing in on the door while you attempt to turn the key.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:10 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

1977 21' Globetrotter
Abbotsford , British columbia
thanks for advise !
but l already did it. it is not easy.

also, door handle was something wrong.

shuld l call locksmith?! or someone profeshional ?

any suggestion please !

yoshi
yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:54 AM   #25
SSOLID

1972 25' Tradewind
Fayetteville , Tennessee
Send a message via MSN to ssolid Send a message via Yahoo to ssolid
Door Lock

I have a 72' Trade Wind and the inside lock pin snapped off. I can key lock it from the outside but I have no way of locking from the inside now.

Any suggestions on fixing this without having to remove the mechanism?

Thank You,
Steve
ssolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 02:36 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
Steve, it might be an easy fix. The KT lock uses a single long throw bolt that is pulled back by two separate mechanisms (inside & outside handles) with roll pins that protrude from the bolt. It may be that this roll pin has come out or broken. You could replace that easily. I've had the little metal tabs that pull on those pins break, but that usually means either welding or getting a new part.

Either way, you're going to have to get the lock out of the door. Andy (THE expert!) describes his procedure up the thread.

Good luck!
WBCCI #8481
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 04:38 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
I have the same problem as Steve. The lock pin (the small knurled pin) is threaded into the assembly somehow. It can easily loosen and turn itself out. We had a relative sleeping in our trailer at our house, and the pin broke when she tried to lock the door. I think that it had turned itself out and was only held by a couple of threads and broke with normal pressure.

The inside door handle also came off. We used an old pair of locking pliers to open the door from the inside. I was going to have a local machine shop make a new handle with a couple of set screws to lock it to the shaft, until the lock pin broke too.

I bought the lock retrofit kit from Inland RV and am planning to install it this spring, unless somebody has better advice for me.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:09 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
1970 25' Tradewind
1989 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
cromwell , Kentucky
part breakdown with prices

Hello Everyone,
if you are just looking for the inside handle and the knurled lock rod it might have been cheaper to order those two parts. Dan at Out of Doors Mart just posted a drawing of the KT Lock that gives prices for each componet. it thought some parts were a little expensive,but one or two repair parts are much cheaper than the complete new lock.Please check it out and let me know what you think. Good Luck, Don

http://odmrv.net/MainDoorLock/MainDoorLock.php
Don Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:13 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Don,

Thanks for the tip. I've ordered the parts, that will be much easier than removing the old lock assembly.

The lock pin is costly for a tiny part ($29.95), but a lot cheaper than getting someone to make a "one-off" on an instrument lathe.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:04 PM   #30
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertF
Don,

Thanks for the tip. I've ordered the parts, that will be much easier than removing the old lock assembly.

The lock pin is costly for a tiny part ($29.95), but a lot cheaper than getting someone to make a "one-off" on an instrument lathe.
You will still have to remove the lock.

Why??

The "pin" is threaded into the vertical lock shaft. When the pin broke off, the threads on the end of the pin are still in the vertical locking shaft.

The threaded end of the old pin, will have to be removed from the vertical locking shaft, before you can thread the new pin in place.

Also, please be aware, that the thread size on the new pin, may be different than the old pin, as they are many times.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 08:38 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
I was being optimistic. We'll see how it goes. It would be nice to retain the original assembly.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:20 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Speaking of locks, does anyone know a trick or proper way to getting the cylinder lock out of the fresh water opening? I have no key for that lock or the same type lock on the fridge access. Any help would be much appreciated. I have a 75 Argosy.

I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Heinlein
mrmossyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:42 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Check out the website that Don Boyd referred to. I saw a key advertised. They also have compartment locks.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:03 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
Lock Parts

I just pulled our door lock yesterday from our '74 Ambassador, and will be installing one of the new locks we purchased from Andy. The lock cylinder was getting really seriously loose, but everything else was working OK. If anyone wants the old KT lock, or pictures of the working mechanisms, or has questions about getting it out, please let me know.
maccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 07:17 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccamper
I just pulled our door lock yesterday from our '74 Ambassador, and will be installing one of the new locks we purchased from Andy. The lock cylinder was getting really seriously loose, but everything else was working OK. If anyone wants the old KT lock, or pictures of the working mechanisms, or has questions about getting it out, please let me know.
See PM I just sent you please.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 08:03 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
Lock Parts -- Found a home

It appears that the old KT lock I'm replacing has found a new home.

The offer to provide pictures of the working mechanisms or answers to questions about how I removed the lock still stands.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:09 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
'74 KT lock removal

Removing the lock is not all that hard, after you have done it the first time and see how it goes together.

The lock was originally installed, and must be removed, from outside the trailer. There are three screws on the inside that must be taken out, and one just above the door latch. Once the door handle is removed along with the knurled locking pin, all the rest of it goes through the outside skin.

The lock does not go straight out, it has to be pulled towards the rear of the trailer and slid out once the latch clears the frame. There are several rivets that must be drilled from the inside skin so the skin can then be pulled in (out from the door) about 1/4 to 1/2" to allow the door handle shaft to be slid back and out. I way overdid it on rivet removal, I think about five or six rivets would be sufficient.

Once the screws are removed along with the inside rivets, the next step is outside the trailer. The lock assembly has a gasket that goes all around the frame. On my trailer, this gasket was stuck tight to the lock and to the frame, so nothing budged initially. I took a thin, sharp putty knife and worked it very gently between the gasket and the lock all around the perimeter. Nothing moved until I had worked my way entirely around the lock, only then did it start to break free.

Once the lock frame was loose, it was simply a matter of pulling back and out on the lock while getting the door handle shaft past the hole in the inside skin. The pictures below may help. The lock was cleaned up considerably before taking the pictures. I scraped off a lot of hard, black gunk that once may have been grease and was providing little to no lubrication. Could it be that these locks should be cleaned and relubed every 30 years whether they need it or not? It may help keep parts from breaking.

If anyone has questions, just ask.

Laird aka maccamper
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lock ready for removal.JPG
Views:	533
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	54431   Click image for larger version

Name:	lock opening.JPG
Views:	357
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	54432  

Name:	back of lock with handle and lock bar.JPG
Views:	345
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	54433   Click image for larger version

Name:	lock wo handle and lock bar.JPG
Views:	657
Size:	211.7 KB
ID:	54434  

Old 02-17-2008, 02:15 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
MacCamper - do you have any pics of the new kit lock intallation. I've never seen one actually in place. Thanks....
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 02:47 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
new lock kit

I am about right in the middle of installing the new kit. For our '74, there is more trimming and fitting than I anticipated, primarily to avoid interference with the screen door. I will be glad to post in-progress and final pictures when the job is completed.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:33 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1974 29' Ambassador
1966 20' Globetrotter
Southern , Illinois
new lock installed

The new lock installation is done, finally. There were decisions to be made during the installation process, such as whether keep the old strike plate or install the new, how much to shim, whether to fabricate a dust box if the new strike plate is used, etc.

One of the big decisions is whether to install the plate that covers the old lock opening as provided and shown in the instuctions, or to modify it. I chose to shorten it up, so I would not be installing a row of new rivets on top of a row of existing rivets. I also rounded the corners on the plate more, that just seemed to look better with our model.

I ended up cutting about 1/4" off the inside handle plate and raising the lock up in the door about 1/4" in order to clear the screen door framing, but that may not be necessary on a different model or year. I hope this info is helpful.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	new door lock and safety latch.JPG
Views:	2190
Size:	280.9 KB
ID:	55016   Click image for larger version

Name:	new inside handle.JPG
Views:	287
Size:	250.8 KB
ID:	55017  

Name:	new inside handle and screen.JPG