Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2008, 10:01 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
1978 31' Sovereign
Mansfield , Georgia
1968 Tradewind door jamb is cracked

After researching the forum's "door section" I have not found a comparible situation to my problem.

My 1968 Airstream 24' Tradewind has a solid one piece door jamb screwed to the trailer, and a very large single hinge the door is mounted to.

I have been geographically forced to travel over long sections of interstate highways under construction, with huge "bumps" at bridges and overpasses.

I recently noticed that my door was getting very hard to lock. Then after this last trip, the door would not lock at all.

At closer inspection I observed black powder at the bottom right side of the door frame and more black powder on the lower part of the one-piece door hinge.

Checking closer, I found that the lower right corner of the door frame was crack and broken, allowing the bottom right of the door jamb and attached exterior wall to move in and out 1/32 to 1/16 of an inch.

The movement and rubbing causes the alum. to rub and make the black powder. The same movement was causing the door hinge to rub and cause the plack powder there.

This also caused and exterior outer skin rivet, next to the bottom right of the door frame, to work loose and fail.

Does anyone have a procedure to follow for a proper fix?
KeithC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags