Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Windows, Doors, Locks & Vents > Doors & Locks
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-15-2007, 07:51 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Northern KY , Kentucky
'03 Bambi 19' door wouldn't lock

winterized and parked unit in tempoarystorage. stopped yesterday to find some camping equiptment inside unit. no sign of forced entry. door unlocked okay as did the dead bolt.
went to secure door and it would not shut tight or lock. appeared to have a bow to center of door. checked weather stripping etc and door still would not shut tight to secure the locks. again pondered someone broke in but no signs of any prying. leaned against door and tried to force shut. still no luck.
called airstream survice. mentioned to move trailer and ascertain setting level or close to it. talked about adjustment and weather sealing.
well returned to unit, pulled ahead and leveled again.
loosened the stub bolt in door jamb. shut door and to my amazment the jaws to the lock set grabbed the bolt just fine. the dead bolt also locked fine.
re-tightened the stub bolt but not real tight. it self adjusted and locked door just fine.
saved a trip for service and the thought of door replacement. phew!!!
Old 12-15-2007, 08:23 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Did you have the stabilizers down when you stored the trailer? If you did, the trailer may have settled on the axles a little bit putting too much weight on them and flexed the frame enough to cause the problem.

Glad to hear that everything is working great now!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 08:29 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
I have trouble closing and locking my door when the trailer is not level side to side.