Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Phone, CB & Ham Radio
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-10-2018, 08:20 PM   #1
biking and camping

2018 16' Sport
Hailey , Idaho
Suggestion on installing an aux 12 V charger

I have a number of devices, including XM radio that require car cigarette aux type plug. any suggestions on installing this type of aux port in AS?
mlidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:40 PM   #2
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We have 2 factory installed ones in our 2001 Excella. I thought all Airstreams had a couple and only recently realized that is not true. So they obviously stopped putting them in some time in the past. I see no reason you can't put one or two in convenient places so long as you can access the 12v wires.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:57 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Howdy...
Yes. the shallow wall and no access to inside of wall makes it complicated. The wiring inside the walls may not carry the load you need.

There are usually 'spares' on the 12VDC distribution and fuse panel... from there you can have a fused circuit... just fishing the wires will be challenging and contortionists are welcome... then chiropractors..

You could even come directly off batteries with a separate fuse panel .. look for 'Blue Sea'.. they make nice ones...

One option is to use an SAE connector which you leave exposed then plug in the devices.. just remove the Cig lighter end and verify polarity... The SAE plug should have the shielded connector for the POSITIVE from the battery.. less likely to have a short..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:24 AM   #4
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlidaho View Post
I have a number of devices, including XM radio that require car cigarette aux type plug. any suggestions on installing this type of aux port in AS?
You can change one of your USB charger outlets to a cigar type outlet. Available at WM or almost any auto supply store.

Click image for larger version

Name:	d560c2fb-7bdc-456a-826b-224a2fbb5286_1.1a3805c5e41e011a4a830a25df05dd65.jpeg
Views:	108
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	322181

Easy to do.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:45 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2018 Basecamp
Fairview , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
You can change one of your USB charger outlets to a cigar type outlet. Available at WM or almost any auto supply store.

Attachment 322181

Easy to do.
A usb cannot exceed about 0.9 amps. Your auto cig lighter will provide up to 15 amps or more. Check you amperage of whatever you are going to attach to the cig lighter adapter. If you exceed the amperage of the usb you are in for trouble.
Airkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 10:09 AM   #6
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airkeeper View Post
A usb cannot exceed about 0.9 amps. Your auto cig lighter will provide up to 15 amps or more. Check you amperage of whatever you are going to attach to the cig lighter adapter. If you exceed the amperage of the usb you are in for trouble.
The point is you replace the USB fixture with the 12v outlet. Fuse it to match the wires. Simple.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:59 AM   #7

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Would not using a USB car plug in the cig lighter take care of that problem since it is designed for a 15amp plug?
Pull it out when you need the higher amps through a cig lighter, put it in when you need the lower USB amps?
I know it is another thing to lose.

Thanks
Matti
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:45 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Clackamas , garyburke
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlidaho View Post
Batteries Plus has a simple AC to DC converter you can plug in anywhere and have an instant cigarette lighter socket.
gary1burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:50 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Victoria , British Columbia
I was able to tap 12v off the input to the inverter. Our model of inverter has two Allen head terminals per input polarity. The cables from the battery used one set. I tapped the remaining connection with an inline fuse. I used Anderson Powerpole connections on the output of the line, but you could easily use a PowerPoint connection. Just be extra sure that you fuse the circuit.
Camr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 03:08 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
as to charger.. vs the converter... I changed mine to the 4 stage 80 amp PD converter... and that should be enough to run just about anything including the ham radio on HF and vhf/uhf radios...

First off it does a great job on the bats... and has recondition them to almost where they were when new...

Second... I found that hash was going to be a consern with the new converter.... nada... I only found a few birdies up in the 14 mc and above... otherwise it is a VERY quiet converter...

Pulled the old one out and replaced it with the new 80 amp one... had to change some of the wireing for the bats and main dist panel... but then decided to add a second fuse block for just the accessories and ham radio... and take two (2) ea. of the No. 10 wires ea. (could use No. 12 stranded also.. but use marine grade 105 deg C wire) and twist them run two twisted wires... pos and neg lines from the fuse block to power the radio... (that way you don't have to use big expensive cable)

If you try and draw the 25 amps the Cig lighter plug said it could supply... it gets tempermental.. and either gets hot or loses contact... so we put in anderson power pole box and it works just fine...

Needless to say... going to just one converter also keeps the trailer light weight...

Next step is to mount the two GC 105 bats out behind the propane tanks...in the A frame... so we get better life out of boondocking as well...

All of which the PD 80 amp converter will work for that too.. as well as it has it four stages of charging... which we like.. as now we can leave the bats on line.. and have no fear of overcharging and/or boiling the liquid off... sweet...

I strongly suggest that you check into going with the PD 9280 with the pendent to see how the bats are doing and still supply the RV with lots of 12 v power to boot...
GM Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:50 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post

Attachment 322181

Easy to do.
Please realize USB is only 5 volts NOT 12 volts.
Wazbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:08 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I think you will be frustrated trying to add that type of socket. I had to replace one that shorted out on my trailer and it was a real pain. The wall is too thin for the replacement the way it was wired. My trailer has 2 different styles and the one I replaced was a flush mount. I had to cut and solder on the replacement fixture. You might find a wall mount socket and run a surface 12 volt wire somewhere it does not show much.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:14 PM   #13
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Might want to check those USB jacks are off the 12v or 110v system first.