Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Phone, CB & Ham Radio
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-15-2009, 11:25 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Grants Pass , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadKingMoe View Post
Are you going to mount the screwdriver on the Airstream roof with a lay-down mount? Tarheel has a motorized one that looks pretty handy.

I had considered that. The trailer has a reciever mouonted on the bumper and I had a piece made that has a 5 foot rise. HI Q suplied a piece of bar stock with predrilled holes to bolt to the "hitch".. If that doesnt work, I may go with the lay down mount.. I really didnt want to mount anything permanently on the trailer and would rather pack the antenna and mount inside while u nde3rway. Thanks for the sugestion tho.. the other consideration was that I had the piece put together for 25 bux.. the tarheel mount was a bit more.. guess us retired sailors are cheep sob's except of course when it comes to whiskey and beer..

Lee
NI7I
pixiehat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:30 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Pixiehat,

Does your refrigerator run on gas? There is information here: Frequently Asked Questions ( just over one half way down) on how the RV refrigerator works and what to check out.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:10 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Grants Pass , Oregon
The fellow that makes the HI Q antenna gets a little snippy when you refer to his antenna as a "screwdriver" antenna. It is, and it isnt. The giant coil has a motorized "wiper" all of which is enclosed and it is powered by a motor that is substantially more robust than your typical screwdriver motor. The antenna doesnt "grow" or "shrink" when you operate the motor. The coil just gets a little longer or shorter inside its casing. when I spoke with him on the phone and referred to his antenna as a screwdriver antenna I could almost hear him wince. Of courwse now that I have given him his bag of gold, I guess I get defensive as well.. the thing aint cheap..

Lee
NI7I

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadKingMoe View Post
Are you going to mount the screwdriver on the Airstream roof with a lay-down mount? Tarheel has a motorized one that looks pretty handy.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:38 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Grants Pass , Oregon
Getting The Shack Closer to Complete

Well, I decided to dump the Henry. Just too much of a pain in the posterior. I may at a later date find a solid state 5 or 6 hundred watt rig that draws less currant. Got the rig on the air. The HI Q performs as advertised but I think for home use, I may get a Gap. Soon as I sell the Henry 3KD I'll make up my mind on that. For now, it's the TS2000, the HI Q, The Vibroplex and the Digital modem. Oh, and the 2mtr/70cm antenna.

All the leads came into the Airsteam through the Battery locker. For now I'm using a couple of 12v power supplies but for field day I think I'll be running off the batteries. I have installed a second battery, just for grins.

The frige quit working because I had a 10 or so degree list on the trailer for a couple of weeks. Purchased an air/hydrolic 12 ton jack and got it leveled a few days ago but the fridge is still no go.. plan on taking the AS out for a drive tomorrow or the next day. If that doesnt do it i'll take the unit out as per sugestions and burp it. Meantime the beer is warm.. good thing the rum goes well at room temperature..

Lee
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shack 1.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	78850   Click image for larger version

Name:	shack 2.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	78851  

Name:	shack 3.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	78852   Click image for larger version

Name:	shack 4.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	78853  

Name:	shack 5.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	78854   Click image for larger version

Name:	shack 6.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	78855  

Old 04-20-2009, 06:38 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Land Yacht 30
Old Hickory , TN
Looking good...

Congrats on bringing it all together - the station is looking good. On the amp, I've had the ALS 500 and traded for the ALS 600... works great. Suggestion on the refrigerator, check out:

RV Mobile, RV and Gas Refrigerators

Good source of parts and advice.
Between 'steams...
reday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:15 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Grants Pass , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by reday View Post
Congrats on bringing it all together - the station is looking good. On the amp, I've had the ALS 500 and traded for the ALS 600... works great. Suggestion on the refrigerator, check out:

RV Mobile, RV and Gas Refrigerators

Good source of parts and advice.

I went to the site.. great information.. On the amps.. I am seriously considering both the 500 and the 600.. One fellow told me that there were problems with the 600.. but then.. every piece of equipment made will have people swearing by them and at them.. go figure.. I likew the 500 because I can just run it off my Batteries (i havce installed a 2nd battery). For now, I am bare foot. The Hi Q is working well but I am going to put up a "full size" vertical as soon as I sell my amp.. A fellow is coming down from Bend this weekend orr I am going to Bend.. we hafent really decdided yet, to complete the deal..

thanks again
Lee
NI7I
Old 04-21-2009, 08:39 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Land Yacht 30
Old Hickory , TN
Problems...

Know what you mean about problems. When you read customer written product reviews you find them all over the place depending on their personal experience and IQ.

My 500 had a sticky relay. Didn't really need the portability with the batteries. Traded for the 600... problem solved.

I have a Titan DX. Can't really tell much difference in performance between it and my WindomHSQ. Maybe if I worked more DX, I would have more to go on.

Maybe if I just got on the air more...

I do know that the Titan was a real challenge to get up with all the trees I have in the yard!

You do need to get that fridge fixed. Cold beer is a high priority!
Between 'steams...
reday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:38 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Grants Pass , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by reday View Post
Know what you mean about problems. When you read customer written product reviews you find them all over the place depending on their personal experience and IQ.

My 500 had a sticky relay. Didn't really need the portability with the batteries. Traded for the 600... problem solved.

I have a Titan DX. Can't really tell much difference in performance between it and my WindomHSQ. Maybe if I worked more DX, I would have more to go on.

Maybe if I just got on the air more...

I do know that the Titan was a real challenge to get up with all the trees I have in the yard!

You do need to get that fridge fixed. Cold beer is a high priority!

You are absolutely correct.. Cold beer comes fairly close to first on my list. Rather than yard the fridge out and "burp" it, I'm going to take the trailler for a ride tomorrow. see if that doesnt fix it. I have pretty much decided on the Gap Titon. The amp can wait.. Not even sure I will want any more power. The last years sailing I had to use ham gear at a hundred watts and really didnt notice the difference between that and 2k if you just measure the fun factor. Now I find I have to replace my old MFJ 269.. thinking about palstar or Autek which are very similar units.. Autek is a lot cheaper.. but you know how that goes.. yoou get what you pay for..

Lee
NI7I