Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Phone, CB & Ham Radio
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-24-2017, 06:47 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I’ve just gone thru every app and the privacy settings, turning off the automatic permissions in each and every one for Siri and Search to access contacts, email, calendar, etc., etc., etc.

Jeeeeez! Even in apps I don’t use and never have, that come standard with my iPad.

I have never once used Siri, and have no interest in it, tho my son does and thinks it’s the greatest thing since sliced bread....he also has one of those little gizmos that will place Amazon orders, tell you the weather, the score of the football game, check this or that.

It isn’t right, in my opinion, that one’s privacy is invaded so surreptitiously, but it will continue until an authority stops it.

Maggie
Old 12-24-2017, 07:02 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
If this was Facebook it might be about this time that I might make a comment about tin foil always being on sale at Wallyworld.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 07:19 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Well, were it not a real issue, one could chalk it up to paranoia.

You can understand the case for going off the grid.

Maggie
Old 12-24-2017, 09:33 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Apple has admitted they are purposely slowing down older iPhones. I read there have been over 100 class action law suits filled.
Amubulance chasing and rumor thriving greedy attorneys will file a class action suit against anybody or anything these days irregardless if there is merit or not......
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 10:00 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yeah, but rumors run both ways, Larry C....sometimes civil action needs to be taken to get to and expose truths, so rumors don’t stand undisputed as fact.

Removing all the silent but automatic permissions has straightened out my emai...I then did the same on my iPhone.

I hope I’m not going to have to do all of this every time there is a restart, but I’ll bet I do.

Maggie
Old 12-24-2017, 11:49 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
This popped up on my news page this morning...

http://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2017/12...CNN+-+Video%29

Weirder than these examples, a couple of weeks ago I was with my son in his car....he had his phone with him, but I did not have mine with me nor my iPad.

We were discussing my aging laptop, which no longer allows some updates, and whether I needed to buy a new one at this point in my life.

I told him I had decided that a good refurbished one would do, and a couple of days later ads for refurbished computers started showing up on my Yahoo page.

I had not googled these nor searched refurbished computers at any time, but had asked him to look for one for me in the spring.

When I mentioned to him the ads, apparently targeting me thru his phone, he thought it was a coincidence....he’s a highly skilled IT guy, but had never heard of this.

Yikes.

Maggie
they wouldn’t do that......don’t talk of buying a new as or tv or new car....lol....big brother is watching you...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 12:04 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I do believe he may have referred to me as “Mom”, that was recognized, and it went from there.

Either that, or his phone or car recognized my voice, which is even more bizarre.

Once it started, it got confused, tho...putting his picture on my email, etc.

I think I’ve beat it back for now, revoking the gazillion permissions, places and things.

Yikes.

Maggie
Old 12-24-2017, 12:17 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Newcastle , Oklahoma
Smile Keep it Simple

I agree that big brother and others are listening in thru technology. That's all I do all day is teach computer skills. I warn students of this regularly.

My remedy to eavesdropping is giving up technology when I leave work. I use a Samsung rugby flip phone with the data turned off. And I only turn my personal computer on when I need to look something up, which is rare, then I immediately turn it back off. I hadn't logged onto this computer in 28 days.

I long for the days when technology was a tool instead of a crutch. Most are addicted to technology and are amazed that I can get by with a flip phone. If I want to talk to someone I go see them or call (mainly my children & friends). I don't have social media accounts and I don't publicize my life. I never answer a phone call unless it is in my contact list, and I rarely do texting. Those that know me know they have to call to contact me. I look for camp sites that have minimal if any phone or internet service.

I understand most people want to stay connected to the world but I don't see the need.

Enjoy & Merry Christmas.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 12:23 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Haute-Aboujagane , New Brunswick
If your electronics is spying on you, it is usually with your permission unfortunately. Read the fine print before installing apps. A lot of apps ask permission to access your contact list and to your camera.

Facebook, Instagram and all the other social media sites ask you to give away a lot of your privacy.

You need to ask yourself how much privacy are you willing to give up before installing an app.
chrisetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 01:29 PM   #30
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I do believe he may have referred to me as “Mom”, that was recognized, and it went from there.

Either that, or his phone or car recognized my voice, which is even more bizarre.

Once it started, it got confused, tho...putting his picture on my email, etc.

I think I’ve beat it back for now, revoking the gazillion permissions, places and things.

Yikes.

Maggie
The simplest explanation is the most likely. Back at post #3 it appeared you were sharing a log in. Use your own accounts, and don’t share your passwords. Problem solved.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 01:44 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I’m not sure what you mean by sharing a login, but I have probably logged into my yahoo account from his computer, tho can’t remember when that last occurred...a year or more, perhaps.

I have the two step verification set up for Yahoo, so no one can login without me being notified on my phone and getting/entering a verification code...which has stopped my email being hacked, and he would never do that without my permission, regardless. I trust him completely.

About a week ago, I also signed out of Google and erased its history, but that didn’t fix the problem, it just became more invasive.

This all began abruptly just about two weeks ago, as described, and seems to have been resolved as quickly today by, one at a time, denying all the automatic permissions.

When one purchases an app, that is one thing, but those that come with the device are another....every app on my iPad and phone had those permissions turned on, and not by manually by me.

You can’t delete the apps that come with, either, whether you use them or not.

Maggie
Old 12-24-2017, 04:44 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
It is really a challenge to be connected and have easy access and maintain your privacy and practice good identity safety.

I am pleased to see that so many forum people try to be privacy concience. So many friends and family tease us about are non techy kind of old school non app social media ways. Give up they tell us your information is all out there anyway. Yep but I don't have to make even easier.

I too have removed/uninstalled any apps I am currently not using even good ones. I can always reinstall if needed. Those I cannot uninstall I have fully disabled to the degree possible. Plus this save battery life.

Two more things I do and folks more knowledgeable can advise if necessary or does it accomplish anything.

I use an app called Ghostery and use it to block trackers and other invasive things. When looking something up if given a choice if Chrome or Ghostery.

After a session of news browsing and looking around the web I go to Chrome and push my 3 little buttons on the top right. I then push the History choice and then clear the browsing history and then delete all. I imagine it like Pacman and all those little cookies munching on my information.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 05:15 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
You all reminded me of the data stored on all of us.
The NSA didn't build that gigantic server farm in Utah so they could keep track of spies. They keep a record of every phone call, e-mail, and text message. (I didn't say they read them, but they can).
It's now possible that everything you do is noted. If your electric bill is higher than normal, it can automatically look through your contacts, check their electric bills and if any are lower, make a connection that they might be staying with you. Are you planning some "extremist act"? Maybe it's time to surveil you full time. Did you join any political action groups that are not PC?

I try not to be a tin foil hat guy, but it's getting harder.
Ever heard of the UN Agenda 21?
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 05:22 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Nothing would surprise me.

Maggie
Old 12-24-2017, 07:00 PM   #35
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Did you check the Airforums mobile app permission list? I uninstalled it immediately after being presented with a list of permissions it wanted and I knew were not germane to my use of the site.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 07:59 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have de-permissioned everything.

Maggie
Old 12-25-2017, 02:46 AM   #37
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
How many of you have an iPhone, and now get your voicemail automatically transcibed to text, whether you want it or not? The voicemail is sent to be transcribed, then sent back to your phone.

And then there's background app refresh, location services, and analytics settings.
Old 12-25-2017, 03:41 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
Talking Roflmbo!!!

Thanks guys, life has been hard just lately and I really needed this belly laugh!!!
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 04:36 AM   #39
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
It’s ones national ID card. No no longer any need of that discussion. Fait accompli.

More accurately, one gilds this slave collar with a greater or lesser credit rating. Ones worthiness to his master. House servant down to field hand. From being somewhat useful, to expendable. Thence to vermin.

Noticing things? Questions? Check your privilege.

All of this fairly obvious if one had read Bamford a quarter-century ago. Binney, later. . Novelist Gibson, in the ‘80’s.

P.S. Were I at a residence, etc, where Alexa or the equivalent was in use, I’d leave. And not return.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 06:27 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
There is a voice recognition feature on the IPhone, which I have never allowed apps to use as I don’t like to verbally communicate with my electronics ... but my son talks to his.

Sigh.

Maggie