Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2022, 12:12 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Los Altos , California
Insty connect 5g

Just installed a new Insty connect 5g modem router from Nick. So far it's working well. Replaced my Weboost reach RV. By they way..if someone wants to buy that off me, private message me. Only a year old. Works great. Just wanted to see how the Insty connect would improve wifi in camper..
I will post test results after 1st trip out with it.
jsmall01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 02:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmall01 View Post
Just installed a new Insty connect 5g modem router from Nick. So far it's working well. Replaced my Weboost reach RV. By they way..if someone wants to buy that off me, private message me. Only a year old. Works great. Just wanted to see how the Insty connect would improve wifi in camper..
I will post test results after 1st trip out with it.
Keep your Weboost a little while. I installed a pepwave cat 18 speed demon and sold my Weboost Drive RV this past January. After visiting a couple locations with a poor cell signal, I purchased a Weboost Drive Reach and it made a world of difference. Not sure how your router works, though the router and MIMO antenna does zero for calls on your phone.
Old 04-10-2022, 10:38 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Los Altos , California
Weboost

Actually, with wifi calling it works just fine. (Of course there has to be some signal there to begin with)
Old 04-12-2022, 08:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Would love to hear more about the Insty Connect. A few questions I have.

1. Which antenna did you get.
2. Did you mount it or are you using it on a pole.
3. Do you know what material they are printing the antennas with.
4. Do you know who makes the modem and router.
5. How is the software working out.
6. Any measure on power consumption.

Here is some info from Chris at Crosstalks for those who may be interested.

Thanks!
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 11:19 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Los Altos , California
reply to questions

1. got the 5g "mega angel wing" but Nick is allowing me to swap for the new "Cloud wings" design that apparently gets better 5g upload speeds.

2. I mounted it using the 12" pole that Nick sells.

3. Nope, but believe it's solid plastic with UV protection as I understand it. You may want to post the question to Nick. He is very responsive

4. I do not. He OEM's them. seems like a rugged design and so far, it's worked perfectly

5. Software seems ok so far. I'm not really a super power user, so don't go in to the "geek" menus much. I did change the TTL setting, but that's it.

6. good question. I'll check power consumption in the morning. my guess is that it's not a ton. But I have 400amps of Lith. batteries and 400 watts of solar, plus a propane 2200 gen.. so not really a concern for me.
Old 09-26-2022, 12:43 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Powayegg
Our latest internet solution is the 5g Insty Connect with the angel wings antenna. We use a 4g verizon tablet sim and have been very happy with its performance. We get unthrottled wifi and use 200 - 300 gigibits per month. We use ROKU for our TV. The one exception is Quartzsite in Jan when thousands of RV's show up and overload the tower. Because we are retired WiFi is not critical but nice to have otherwise we would get the Insty Connect Binoculars antenna and Starlink. Our travels (fulltime) keep us mostly west of the Mississippi. Prior to this we used the 4g MOFI unit with a 10 ft antenna extension and it worked fairly well but the Insty Connect is a better idea in my opinion.
Old 09-10-2023, 03:12 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Shreveport , Louisiana
jssmall01- Where did you mount the 12" pole? Once mounted, how hard is it to reach the antenna to access router for SIM cards (hopefully rare)?
Powayegg- How/Where did you mount your antenna?
I am planning for a 27' GT.
Thanks
wrgrimes is offline   Reply With Quote