Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Phone, CB & Ham Radio
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-26-2008, 12:49 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Brentwood , Tennessee
Installing a CB unit in an Airstream Classic

I would like to install a Cobra handheld CB speaker/mike (which I used to have in an SUV) in my 2005 Airstream Classic 30' trailer. It has an under-the-dash bracket with the usual co-ax antenna cable connector and wiring for an electrical connection. I don't want to have wiring and cable all over the place, however, in order to achieve the goal. I thought I was in good shape because the trailer had a curbside exterior CB antenna mount but after looking at it carefully, I am not so sure.

It is a plastic body mount of the usual type with a socket for an antenna, but unlike a car body arrangement, has a phillips head screw fastening below the plastic to something behind the panel. The interior connection is on the wall at the right side of the sofa at about the level of a person's head when sitting and consists of two threaded studs in parallel. The lower is probably the connection for the phillips head screw but the upper stud has washers and nuts like you would use to connect wiring to a stereo speaker. I can't figure out how this worked or whether it could be used for my equipment.

I had planned to get a Firestik ground plane antenna kit (Cobra tells me I need this) but I guess I need to know how the previous mounting arrangement worked before I take the plunge. Maybe I need to start fresh. Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice.
Ramblinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 10:55 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
Not sure, but you may be referring to the Cobra 75WX-ST??? I've had one for a few years; not a bad radio for it's form factor. Did you know you can buy an accessory "junction box" so it's easy to move the speaker/mic/radio unit from your tow vehicle to your trailer?

Not sure about your antenna mount. How about posting a pic or two?
WBCCI #8481
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote