Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2007, 09:57 AM   #81
3 Rivet Member

1979 25' Tradewind
Mt. Vernon , Washington
Ham Radio

I've been looking for the 'sub' culture HAM wing of AS and here it is !!
I'm KD7ZPJ located near Astoria, Oregon and hoping to have some eyeball QSO's with some of you.
Our next rally will be at Newport at the end of Feb. Hope to see some of you then.
L&C Woogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 09:57 AM   #82
Dr Joe

Central , South Carolina
I didn't realize that a survey of this type would involved as much administrative action. Why wouldn't an announcement in that forum that the Forum is desirous of developing a data base of members that are Hams (Much as a poll would be posted) and requesting that any and all members that are licensed hams respond to the Forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream25
Perhaps Airstream Forums is not the best place to accomplish what you are suggesting. The Administrator would have to modify the membership database to provide an entry field for your ham info then every member would have to go into their profile and add their ham info.

I think 2 other applications could accomplish what you want.
Echolink is a great place to have group chats on one of their under utilized conference servers.

Frappr maps is a great place to enter your own location push pin. See
Visitor Map, MySpace Map, Frappr Map - The most social maps on the Web.
winner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 08:52 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Aprs

Since we have had a few Ham post lately, I put my APRS radio back on the air for a while. The link at the bottom of my signature line will bring you to my APRS server which is in a closet in my shack. Check it quick as who know how long it will be up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	APRS Station.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	30986

73 Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 10:46 AM   #84
Dr Joe

Central , South Carolina
N5jtz

GM Jim:
Noted your post above this AM - First let me say I have been ablel to get Echolink UP and Running! I found a guy on the Yahoo Echolink Group (Kenneth Strongham<ae1x@Yahoo.com) who understood my problem - Recommended the following procedure to get connected to EcholinK "Go into Explore tab on Echolink -Under Node Type, find "Conferences" Clicking on that brought up a list of Conferences - Highlighjt ECHOTEST)
That showed me that I was UP and able to connect.
He then advised me to go to my Modem Provider and get up on Ports 5198 and 5199 - I did that and Provider tried to get me working using NAT - That did not work, so he said we'll try ""IP Passthrough" - Well THAT Works - I am now fully operatonal on Echolink
Now as to this post - When I tried to bring you up on Echolink, it is still telling me you are not in system
Apparently you - What do you think the problem is
Old 01-18-2007, 10:50 AM   #85
Dr Joe

Central , South Carolina
2 Meter

Interesting! Are you on the 3 Meter Net - I am just 2 miles South of Town of Six Mile - Do you get on 661??
Please send me a PM with your phone and I will give you a ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn
It's great to find other HAM's who share the Alum. Fever, my call sign is KI4QCU and I reside in Easley, SC
Old 01-18-2007, 11:04 AM   #86
Dr Joe

Central , South Carolina
Radio Group

Glad we have been pushing some people's buttons - with Jim being more active than myself - Since you live just about 10 miles from me, would like to see you on 661 on 1 Meters. I have been trying to connect with Jim (N5TJZ) to no avail, but still trying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchBern
Bigjohn, I also live in Easley. It would be nice to see your set-up. If you are interested let me know. Member #1643 here.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:11 AM   #87
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by winner
GM Jim:
Noted your post above this AM - First let me say I have been ablel to get Echolink UP and Running! I found a guy on the Yahoo Echolink Group (Kenneth Strongham<ae1x@Yahoo.com) who understood my problem - Recommended the following procedure to get connected to EcholinK "Go into Explore tab on Echolink -Under Node Type, find "Conferences" Clicking on that brought up a list of Conferences - Highlighjt ECHOTEST)
That showed me that I was UP and able to connect.
He then advised me to go to my Modem Provider and get up on Ports 5198 and 5199 - I did that and Provider tried to get me working using NAT - That did not work, so he said we'll try ""IP Passthrough" - Well THAT Works - I am now fully operatonal on Echolink
Now as to this post - When I tried to bring you up on Echolink, it is still telling me you are not in system
Apparently you - What do you think the problem is
No problem, we just are not on Echolink at the same time. Unless I have my laptop on and Echolink running my call sign will not show up. I don't leave the Echolink software running as the laptop is used by myself, wife and son. Tonight is Scout night so I will see if I have time to kick it on after the Troop Meeting.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 01-18-2007, 11:25 AM   #88
1 Rivet Member

1970 25' Caravanner
Rutherfordton , North Carolina
Helo Joe and All

I'm KA4PXD but have not been active on the air in about x number of years. I am still working on my a/s and hoping to get back on the air when I complete it.
steve hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:00 PM   #89
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Airstream ham chat on Echolink

Jim, Dr. Joe, and others,
Seems to me that the thing to do would be to pick one of the unused Echolink conference servers that has plenty of bandwidth then agree on a time and day of the week and hold a weekly (or any frequency desired) Airstream Ham Conference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark
No problem, we just are not on Echolink at the same time. Unless I have my laptop on and Echolink running my call sign will not show up. I don't leave the Echolink software running as the laptop is used by myself, wife and son. Tonight is Scout night so I will see if I have time to kick it on after the Troop Meeting.

Jim
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 01:06 PM   #90
Dr Joe

Central , South Carolina
Airstream HAM Group

This is indeed an excellent suggestion - I am a novice user of Echolink, and not at all familiar with establishment of a Conference, therefore, I would have to suggest (request) that you do the leg-work on setting it it. I am certain that we would get good participation in such a group.

quote=Airstream25]Jim, Dr. Joe, and others,
Seems to me that the thing to do would be to pick one of the unused Echolink conference servers that has plenty of bandwidth then agree on a time and day of the week and hold a weekly (or any frequency desired) Airstream Ham Conference.[/quote]
Old 01-18-2007, 02:13 PM   #91
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Airstream HAM Group on Echolink

There are many conference servers already set up. You can click on any one of them that is not marked private to join the conference. When your Echolink connects to the conference, the conference owner is usually identified with his call sign and perhaps an e-mail link or a web page address. Everyone else currently connected to the same conference server will also have their call signs displayed.

Some conference servers have a special purpose like weather or satellite or state or country specific. Others appear to be very general. Anyone can join in, however, if a group like Airstream hams wanted to use the conference server for a specific period of time on a specific date, then it seems like a prior agreement from the conference server owner should be requested.

Why not see how many AS hams would want to do this and when?

Quote:
This is indeed an excellent suggestion - I am a novice user of Echolink, and not at all familiar with establishment of a Conference, therefore, I would have to suggest (request) that you do the leg-work on setting it it. I am certain that we would get good participation in such a group.

quote=Airstream25]Jim, Dr. Joe, and others,
Seems to me that the thing to do would be to pick one of the unused Echolink conference servers that has plenty of bandwidth then agree on a time and day of the week and hold a weekly (or any frequency desired) Airstream Ham Conference.
[/quote]
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 02:52 PM   #92
4 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Ottawa , Ontario
I used to be VE3JHG years ago as a kid (about 35 years ago LOL!). Now with the whole world of the Internet... I have often wondered if the whole 'allure' of ham radio has gone by the wayside... is morse code still popular? Man I loved code and QRPP.

Maybe I should be back into it when I retire in my Bambi...

_._. _ _._ _._. _ _._
campadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 03:53 PM   #93
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by campadk
I used to be VE3JHG years ago as a kid (about 35 years ago LOL!). Now with the whole world of the Internet... I have often wondered if the whole 'allure' of ham radio has gone by the wayside... is morse code still popular? Man I loved code and QRPP.

Maybe I should be back into it when I retire in my Bambi...

_._. _ _._ _._. _ _._
Well as of a few weeks ago code is no longer required.

Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 01-18-2007, 04:12 PM   #94
Dr Joe

Central , South Carolina
Airstream Ham Conference on Echolink

Appreciate your interest Airstream 25,
with reference to your last statement, I have communicated with the Airstream Forum Committee in this regard - They responded to me with a no-reply email indicating that they will get back to me.
If this question is not resolved in their response, I will ask them again - Why can't a simple announcement appear in the Forms, requesting that all A/S Members who are Hams respond so that a data base can be generated summarizing their numbers.
The major problem with your suggestion is that NOT all HAMS have joined Echolink

\quote=Airstream25]There are many conference servers already set up. You can click on any one of them that is not marked private to join the conference. When your Echolink connects to the conference, the conference owner is usually identified with his call sign and perhaps an e-mail link or a web page address. Everyone else currently connected to the same conference server will also have their call signs displayed.

Some conference servers have a special purpose like weather or satellite or state or country specific. Others appear to be very general. Anyone can join in, however, if a group like Airstream hams wanted to use the conference server for a specific period of time on a specific date, then it seems like a prior agreement from the conference server owner should be requested.

Why not see how many AS hams would want to do this and when?

[/quote][/quote]
Old 01-18-2007, 07:14 PM   #95
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
I would prefer a forum based survey to one on echolink. It maby be a fine line but I don't consider communication over echolink a form of ham radio unless some portion actually involves two way transmission over the air. Otherwise why not just use a separat catagory or thread on the Airstream Forum site.

Quote:
Appreciate your interest Airstream 25,
with reference to your last statement, I have communicated with the Airstream Forum Committee in this regard - They responded to me with a no-reply email indicating that they will get back to me.
If this question is not resolved in their response, I will ask them again - Why can't a simple announcement appear in the Forms, requesting that all A/S Members who are Hams respond so that a data base can be generated summarizing their numbers.
The major problem with your suggestion is that NOT all HAMS have joined Echolink

What do you want to be in life, a spectator or a participant?

SNU #157
FCU #004
Motoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 07:35 PM   #96
Dr Joe

Central , South Carolina
Forum based Survey

I agree with you Motorman, Using a Forum approach was and still is my first approach, but I don't know if I can get support ffrom the Administrator. I have a message pending with the Forums Administrator - and I am going to again advance getting a Forum Page or whatever for the Hams that are in the Forums. Thanks for your interest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoman
I would prefer a forum based survey to one on echolink. It maby be a fine line but I don't consider communication over echolink a form of ham radio unless some portion actually involves two way transmission over the air. Otherwise why not just use a separat catagory or thread on the Airstream Forum site.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:38 PM   #97
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadKingMoe
Not yet, but plan to take element 2 & 3 next time the Dayton ARA tests (early February). Was a USAF 30471 Nav-Aids technician 30 years ago and could pass element 4 if I could only remember what I knew back then.
Well here we are a few weeks later and AB8XA just showed up under my FRN this evening. Drove down to Cincinnati last weekend and tested a week earlier than planned. Wound up with an Icom IC-718 HF-only rig, AH-4 tuner, and Kent TP-1 dual paddle, but don't have an antenna up yet. Any truth to the saying, "the best antennas are the ones you put up in sub-freezing weather in a snowstorm?"
Old 02-09-2007, 11:01 PM   #98
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
GRAY COURT , South Carolina
I Made It Today Doc Joe.

Just Got Back On And Got Registered Doc Joe.

C U Soon.

Spence
K4KEP-SPENCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 08:20 AM   #99
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Excella 500
GRAY COURT , South Carolina
Antenna Mounts

DR JOE ASK ME TO POST THIS.

THE AES RADIO (MILWAUKEE) BIGFOOT ANTENNA BASE
YOU PUT IT DOWN ON THE GROUND AND PARK WITH YOUR TIRE SITTING ON IT. STICK THE MAST IN IT AND ZIP YOUR ANTENNA IS UP.

2ND CELL TOWER ANTENNA CLAMPS ON EBAY LIKE PICS. CLAMP ON JACKSTAND ABOVE FRAME AND THEN CLAMP IN YOUR MAST. CAPACITY 1/2" TO ABOUT 6" PIPE.

SPENCE

UPLOAD DID NOT WORK
1010506.JPG:
The Dimension limits for this filetype are 1024 x 1024. We were unable to resize your file so you will need to do so manually and upload it again. Your file is currently 1280 x 960.
P1010507.JPG:
The Dimension limits for this filetype are 1024 x 1024. We were unable to resize your file so you will need to do so manually and upload it again. Your file is currently 1280 x 960.
K4KEP-SPENCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 01:47 AM   #100
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I'm not a ham operator, so here is a rookie question or two.

How often if ever do ham operators get involved in assisting with comm during disasters? Ham was mentioned in a recent class as a possible resource for us in the fire service if our communications was severed for whatever reason.

If this occurs, how difficult is it?
Logistically - how would you provide this service?
Is it on a voluntary basis?

Thanks for your input,
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote