Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Phone, CB & Ham Radio
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-06-2013, 04:29 PM   #341
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Just checking into this thread - WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #342
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari-Rick View Post
When Cell towers go down and land lines (i.e earthquakes) etc. It's the Ham operator that is still able to communicate and get the message out.

this is what makes the Ham Operator network so important and reliable.
The link below has a lot of good information.

Amateur Radio Emergency Communication
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:28 PM   #343
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Stockbridge , Georgia
N4KNQ Stockbridge, GA.
themartaman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:52 PM   #344
3 Rivet Member

2010 22' Interstate
Vincennes , Indiana
I worked all 3077 counties in the US and over fifty countries mobile using a bumper mount vertical grounded to the frame. I used 80 watts with no tuner but I did tune the antenna. Even a mag mount to the top will work well but you will need to remove it when traveling.

de Phil, AA9Z

QUOTE=K9GVF;1280039]Ramblings...

I've heard of the flagpole stand idea for a vertical antenna, and am considering trying this as I just acquired an LDG 31' telescoping vertical, and use my SGC-230 at the base. As with any vertical the most important element is the missing one - the counterpoise - without it a vertical is almost useless. The other aspect is that a vertical has a low take-off angle and we'll lose a 45-90 degree swath of coverage in the direction of the nearby trailer, and anything else. You also risk projecting a lot more RF to nearby folks at that low elevation.

My second idea is to mount a plate to hold a 3/8-24 ball mount (I have one of the old heavy duty ones) stood-off atop the trailer, and mount an SGC-230 auto-tuner next to it. Excellent 'native' counter-poise, omni-pattern... and... with a 10' CB whip I get vertical. Pull the tip over and I have NVIS. Remove the whip, attach a wire and toss the other end into a tree...

As soon as I get the right stand-off channel to mount probably a 19" rack panel to hold the ball mount and tuner, I'll get some pics. The stand-off channel would be secured to the internal roof frame rails.

If all else fails, the old wire in tree to tuner grounded to A/S frame or water pipe may have to do.[/QUOTE]
aa9zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:56 PM   #345
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Talking Radio Setup

KE4GNK here...

Our A/S has a Yaesu FT-857 control head and external speaker carefully mounted on the desk in the rear, with the main unit in a steel enclosure in the front closet. Has power distribution, low voltage cut-off and fans for cooling (WestMountain parts)The radio main unit has both RF outputs run into the upper refrigerator door are so it's easy to connect to external antennas. Have a permanent mount 2-meter antenna on the roof for easy use.

Also working on a remote control self-raising mount for an HF ATAS-120B screwdriver antenna on the roof for easy setup. Seen a few ideas in stainless steel from the Tarheel folks, but want to make it out of aluminum to match the roof contour and make it a little more low-profile. The solar panel on the roof has to be worked around to make this fit easily. More to come when I get it working.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:01 PM   #346
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Wildwood , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Would love to see pics as I am in the early stages of a remodel and would welcome any ideas!
KB1JFZ
Old 08-14-2013, 04:17 PM   #347
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxbuoy View Post
Would love to see pics as I am in the early stages of a remodel and would welcome any ideas!
KB1JFZ
Unfortunately the trailer is parked 90 miles away right now, but here are more details.

The steel box is a Leviton 14" by 14" white steel box designed for home networks (Home Depot) with a screw-on cover mounted on the rear wall of the closet in front of the A/S with short screws (lots of them) into the plywood wall. For ventilation, we punched out ALL the holes in the top and bottom of the box, and have a small computer fan mounted in there to move air. Switch is on the side of the box.

Future plans include a screwdriver vertical with a self-raising mount on the roof as well--more cables to run!

The mobile mount for the 957 is screwed into the same wall, through the steel box. It's mounted high enough to clear the cover over the hot water heater in the bottom of the closet and be easy to reach. We ran a heavy power cable to the underside of the FB and connected it to the house batteries through a pair of 30-amp automotive-style fuse holders at the ground junction and the house side of the relay. The other end has PowerPole connectors to plug into the rig runner mounted inside the box. The rig runner has a low voltage alarm to remind us to disconnect from battery when this is not in use. A low-voltage cutoff would be a better idea--that's next.

The remote cables for the microphone, control head and the speaker were painstakingly run under the kitchen, under the shower, and into the desk at the rear. My son and I exhausted most of our vocabulary getting that to happen...fishing under there is an exercise in patience.

The remote speaker is mounted on the desktop, as is the control head. A smallish table-top grommet from Home Depot provides wire access from the stack of drawers on the right of the desk. Microphone clip is mounted to the side of the Lav wall to provide a space for the microphone.

Two short RG-8 jumpers carry the main unit's RF connectors out of the box. An extension cable carries the UHF output to a ceiling hole that is inside our solar panel connection on the roof and it exits through a packing gland on the rear of that junction box. From there it goes to a 2-meter antenna bracketed to the side at the solar panel mount. There are two so-239 extenders about 6 inches long that go through the back of the closet close to the interior skin into the refrigerator upper vent door area (side mounted) to allow easy connections to any portable antennas.

Future plans include a self-raising screwdriver antenna mounted on the roof.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #348
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Olean , Missouri
aa0ae
just new to AS forums not new to AS
am i right that there is no activity here since 2002
AlumaTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:33 PM   #349
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Nope. The thread started in 2002 and there were posts just a couple of weeks ago.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:40 PM   #350
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Olean , Missouri
just saw that after i posted new to AS forums didn't realize new post were on p 25
AlumaTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #351
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedora View Post
just saw that after i posted new to AS forums didn't realize new post were on p 25
I have AirForums set up to display newest post first on my computer (reverse order) just so I don't do the same. Can't remember exactly how I did that.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:57 AM   #352

2014 27' FB International
MAPLE VALLEY , Washington
N7LHK - Setting up remote head-unit in back table area for an ICOM IC-901A with modules for 2m/440/1.2/10m in our 27' International FB. Would like to use small Kenwood TH-28A handhelds to keep in touch with XYL.

May even wire in one of my dual band Kenwood mobiles for cross-band repeater operation to extend the range of two handie talkies; one on 2m and the other on 440.

This way, I could be fly fishing down the river and my wife could be anywhere in the campground or just outside the AS and pick up my calls on her 440 handheld while I come in on 2m. She would not have to be inside the AS to hear me and to communicate.

Rick
Old 03-30-2014, 01:31 PM   #353
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightbender View Post
N7LHK - Setting up remote head-unit in back table area for an ICOM IC-901A with modules for 2m/440/1.2/10m in our 27' International FB. Would like to use small Kenwood TH-28A handhelds to keep in touch with XYL.

May even wire in one of my dual band Kenwood mobiles for cross-band repeater operation to extend the range of two handie talkies; one on 2m and the other on 440.

This way, I could be fly fishing down the river and my wife could be anywhere in the campground or just outside the AS and pick up my calls on her 440 handheld while I come in on 2m. She would not have to be inside the AS to hear me and to communicate.

Rick
That sounds like a good setup. Maybe we'll be the same place at the same time sometime.

Ken W7TS - I spent the first 50 years of my life in King County
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:07 PM   #354

2014 27' FB International
MAPLE VALLEY , Washington
Thanks for the reply. I've got all of these nice radios and it seems nobody is into Ham Radio anymore. Oh well, I like all this stuff and all the rest of my fly fishing and camping stuff and soon we are going to just pull up stakes and head out.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:25 AM   #355
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Thumbs up

Hey, there are LOTS of us out here into ham radio--and not just when camping. We have a complete Yeasu setup in our Silver HamShack plus a ton of radios both fixed and portable. We live in earthquake country, so I am always ready to communicate after a shake...

Just need more time for casual operating...

KE4GNK/AE
Old 04-05-2014, 10:35 PM   #356
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' International CCD
Hershey , Pennsylvania
Ford F350 King Ranch Ham Project Just Completed

Finally installed my Kenwood TS-480SAT and Chameleon antenna on my new Ford F350 King Ranch. Installation ideas if you need them. My Weatherguard tool box is grounded to the truck fame and body. RF choke mounted just below antenna.

Old 04-06-2014, 12:41 AM   #357
2 Rivet Member

Hershey , Pennsylvania

Old 04-06-2014, 06:05 AM   #358
3 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
Trumbull , Connecticut
Ham Radio in AS

Hello fellow Streamers. There is a blog where a couple built ham radio into their Airstream. Google "dream stream odyssey...chasing 75 degrees" and they have lots of neat ways of mounting and utilizing the radios in their Airstream.
Happy camping nm1oqrz
nm1oqrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:14 AM   #359
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAgent007 View Post
Finally installed my Kenwood TS-480SAT and Chameleon antenna on my new Ford F350 King Ranch. Installation ideas if you need them. My Weatherguard tool box is grounded to the truck fame and body. RF choke mounted just below antenna.

Alex,

Very nicely done. I'll drop my truck off next weekend. Can you have it done by Wednesday of the following week?

Ken W7TS
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:41 AM   #360
2 Rivet Member

Hershey , Pennsylvania
Thank You!

Yes! Just leave a very big tip please!

My original post indicated grounded to truck fame... It should be to truck frame...