Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Phone, CB & Ham Radio
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-13-2009, 12:28 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1968 17' Caravel
Marblehead , Hasslechusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
It is not the loading coil that has to be above the trailer, it is the base of the antenna.
Hello Ken:

What you state is true. Mobile antennas are always a compromise. However it is not often practical to achieve this especially with something as high as an Airstream.

Unless you use a "screwdriver" motorized antenna you will need to have easy access to the antenna if you want to change bands. You could use a 102" whip with an antenna tuner but this would not be ideal due to losses.

K6SMF mounts his Outbacker on the roof of his minivan using a heavy duty mag-mount so he can access it easily to change the taps. Outbackers are light and somewhat aerodynamic so I think that this would be the way to go when hauling a trailer.

Mounting any antenna on the roof of an Airstream or similar trailer would certainly exceed the height limit of 13' 6" which is not a good thing. My "Bugcatcher" is 13' 0" high above the pavement which is pushing it.

I own a "Buddipole" portable antenna which is a good solution for use when parked in a campground. There is also a tripod available for the "Outbacker" for use under similar conditions. I also have a Collins TD-1 tape dipole antenna which is also excellent when travelling. Suitable supports are of course required and they are not always available. Additionally you have to pull it down and change the length if you want to change bands or use a tuner.

Since I sometimes use a vacuum-tube based radio (KWM-2A) with a pi network it is far more forgiving of high SWR than a solid-state final PA. I intend on mounting it inside my 1968 Airstream which I feel is appropriate. However my overall mobile rig these days is an ICOM IC-7000.

My reason for posting this thread is simply to help other amateurs learn more about mobile antennas and to try to determine what is most practical for use when hauling a trailer. I have been operating HF mobile for 40+ years and used everything from the aforementioned Webster "Bandspanner" to the Newtronics "Hustler" to "Hamsticks. I find I get the best results overall using one of Henry Allen's "Texas Bugcatchers" for the past 15 years. I read with some sadness recently that Henry has ceased production of his wonderful antennas.

"Best #@! Hamfest on the Planet!"

www.near-fest.com
mistermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:38 PM   #22
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bray View Post
Unfortunately my AS doesn't appear to have a spare tire under it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Tom Bray
WB8COX
There is an Airstream spare tire carrier, that stores the spare, underneath the floor, at the front end.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 05:05 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Dearborn , Michigan
Andy ... When I order new axles, I'll ask you about the tire carrier ...
Tom Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:40 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Dearborn , Michigan
This is the system for contesting that I am slowly putting together. I have 6M, 2M, 70CM and 23CM antennas for it:
Old 12-15-2009, 06:52 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Dearborn , Michigan
I don't quite know what is going on but one computer shows the picture, the other doesn't. So here is another try at the photo:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper With Antenna Small.jpg
Views:	1642
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	92573  
Old 12-16-2009, 01:51 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Pleasant Hill , The Golden State
I'm running an Icom 706 to a classic old screwdriver (DK3). Radio and separate small sealed battery reside in a void under the starboard side closet, with remote face velcro'd onto the bedroom wall, along with "up/down" screwdriver control switch.
Coax and control wire runs under bed into rear compartment.
The wiring comes out of the compartment and the door still closes over it (no holes).
The DK3 rides on a 6 foot mast coupled to my rear hitch receiver.
Set up is satisfactory and no holes were drilled. The hitch receiver has sported "cool" inserts too, although my last one got beat up and I'm on the lookout for a new one.
Creative ideas on this thread.
73 de KF6LOP
Reese Tow Beast hitch
Quadrasteer - Autoride
wildwoodrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 07:25 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Wanamingo , Minnesota
Fiamma bike rack Buddipole antenna mount

We have a 2016 International. I mounted a Fiamma bike rack on it. Last week we attended Hamvention in Dayton where I purchased a Deluxe Buddipole antenna for Ham radio. I wanted it for use while camping. It is 18' tall when fully extended & the mfg recommends one always use guy wires with it. This can be difficult in many campgrounds. I discovered the clamps on the bike rack work to stabilize the mast. I sent pictures to the OEM & asked if this would work, or would I still need the guy wires. This was Chris Drummond's answer: [I]"That looks perfect! You shouldn't need the guy wires at all. That's a slick setup...!"[I] I thought I'd pass this along. Pictures are attached. I don't know if anyone will see it since there has not been a post on this site for 10 years!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0344.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	263.8 KB
ID:	311961   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0345.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	311962  

Name:	IMG_0346.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	240.6 KB
ID:	311963  
Scout1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 02:35 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Sugar Land , Texas
Pretty slick!!!!
SailAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 05:46 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Dearborn , Michigan
Looks good to me. I would recommend that you lower the antenna if the weather gets windy.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:41 PM   #30
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
We were camped at Monte Sano (near Huntsville, AL) last summer, and I started talking with a guy at a neighboring site.

"Here for the eclipse?" I asked.

"No, Hamfest," he said.
"Izzat some sort of pulled pork thing?"
He laughed, explained. I went, asked some questions, bought a study guide, and a week later passed the Tech. exam.

So ... Our Bambi's radio antenna broke. It's a threaded stud. I'm thinking of replacing it with a 2m antenna and yanking the AM/FM radio from the console - we never listen to it anyway - and replacing it with a handheld or something. Liking this thread because of the other ideas.
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 08:59 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Ham Radio Antennas

Check the cable to that antenna mount. Most AM/FM radio antenna cables are no good for ham radio use. Bad insulation, wrong impedance, and can’t handle much at all in the way of transmitting power.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 06:12 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Nice Buddipole setup. I was also in Dayton and purchased the very last deluxe Buddipole they had at the show! Still experimenting with it.

Bring on more ham-related posts from Airstreamers!
Philip Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 06:19 PM   #33
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Check the cable to that antenna mount. Most AM/FM radio antenna cables are no good for ham radio use. Bad insulation, wrong impedance, and can’t handle much at all in the way of transmitting power.

Thanks, will do.
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 03:13 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
I have played with a few antennas. Inverted V is the best... next is the hustler 4/5/6 btv mounted on the back of the trailer. We brought this idea to the Bombers back in the '70s and several variation have shown up.

Mainly we use the 31 ft trailer as a ground plane radial.

you can see the revised article at https://www.eham.net/articles/34302

It however is contenually under revision as the need allows..

Basically we didn't want to put holes in the upper hull of the airstream trailer.. so we ran the coax and power in a enclosed cable run and mounted it to the frame under the trailer outside the pan area. Worked find and no extra holes except for where the cables go into the trailer and up to the P/S and radios.

Where to mount the station is always a question that comes up... one suggestion is NOT IN THE BEDROOM... while you may think its ideal... ahhh the other half may have issues.. kinda thing... so in the 240 sq ft of trailer area.. one has to plan the location before run'n the cables and wires...

Several have gone with the tarheel motor mount for the screwdriver style ant's. mounted on the roofline on a doubbler to take the weight/strain is what most have come up with... keeping the screwdriver down in motion... although the whip tip has presented problems beating on the skin... and up when stipped... (of course forget to put it down and you have a new screwdriver parts list... when it hits the bridges you go under)

compairing the screwdriver vs the hustler is still open. but the hustler also can double as a vert mast so you can put different ones on it...

We also have come off the other rear side of the trailer.... using a second flold over mount... for the VHF UHF bands. Putting it up on the top of the trailer is nice.. but punching holes in the hull is questionable etc...

So far the hustler BTV antenna has been a great old all band antenna.. with good signal reports. Easy to put up... and take down... for traveling... and the new mount also fits into the back/front of the TV hitch as well as the back of the trailer... although we have seen several mount them on the front A frame as well.

The mount on the back also can double as a light weight bike carrier when not being used to mount the antennas..

We cut the BTV antenna down into 3 ft sections so it all fits into the back storage compartment too... that way it can be used portable... with easy assembly...

In our eariler trailer we mounted a bent bracket behind the refrig vent on the roof... made out of SS sheet steel..it worked... but today we don't want leaks or problems.. so standing on the ground and playing with the antennas is much better too...

hope this helps.. check out the article... and drawings we made
GM Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 12:11 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
By the way... on our latest NEW OLD airstream we have made mods and more useful mounts.

You want to look at EHAM... as we will post the new drawings and all their... due to the limited space on this blog...

Will be back to let you all know when we get done posting the new article with pix etc all... EHAM is found here at https://www.eham.net/

and their are others too to look at... one such found here
http://www.k0bg.com/
and here.... http://www.openroadsradio.net/forums/index.php
GM Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote