Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2011, 09:46 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1996 34' Excella
scottsdale , Arizona
Winegard SK 3005

We want to install a Winegard SK 3005 on our 34' Excella. Any one have experience with this antenna? Does it need mounting Plate SKA 008? any need to make more level mounting on roof? Pulling cables? Although I will not do work myself, with dealer service being sometimes taking path of least resistances, I think I need to have extensive knowledge and exact concept of the proper and correct placement and instillation so I do not have problems. For example an Airstream dealer wanted about $600 to $800 just to install and a RV Store quoted $100-$200. When spending $1400 to $1500 for unit I want it done correctly. Any and all help appreciated.
Arizona Guys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
Have you looked at the MotoSat units?
Old 02-03-2011, 11:55 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1996 34' Excella
scottsdale , Arizona
Antena reply to motoSAT

Answer: NO have not considered, but after above post, took quick look around web. However, these things came out:
SK 3005 can be purchased as low as $1380, hard to find price on MotoSAT but seems to be about $2200, so about 75% more is a lot for the 4 to 6 days a month we use. MotoSAT has small dealer (mom and pop type) network which could indicate getting service and they have had constant software upgrade, not sure what that means, but would see to indicate software problems. Now if know something that would be revelant, so state, not just ask general question "have you considered?" To be rather direct, such posts neither helpful or informative.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
You can drop the attitude, this forum isn't the place.

Your original post appears your main concern is cost.

I personally have a KVH TracVision and I have several friends that have MotoSat units.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:44 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1996 34' Excella
scottsdale , Arizona
If one reads the post, the FIRSTand PRIMARY question and consideration, was more or less techinical and concerned about how this particular relates to an Airstream--pro and con--. Since we will be spending up to approximately $2000 (not an insignficant amount for a satellite dish) for this unit installed, we want that it be sure that we can avoid any problems or installation mistakes by drawing on info shared by other persons' experiences and knowledge with this unit and if dealer instal at about $600 more than Camping World one is better, the same or worse. One should not equate consideration of technical issues, compatability and workability for it's intended use, whether the cost of an item is $20 or $2000, as looking to cost as a primary consideration. It is hoped that some persons out there has some helpful information to share as they do so well on most topics.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:05 PM   #6

1996 34' Excella
Scottsdale , Arizona
I am sure if cost (and there is nothing wrong with having cost considerations) was the main concern of original post or they would get a $75 portable tri pod, not a $2000 or more electronic one. Since we are new to Airstream community and big sports TV fans and like it in HD, I hope to see some info on the requested system and/or other systems that deliver HD.
Scotts Guys is offline   Reply With Quote