Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2013, 07:37 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigidachs View Post

How applicable is this setup inside the AS? I am trying to avoid cabling into the unit from the roof, etc, yet be able to access a strong enough WiFi signal via the iPhone hot spot to run the computer.....
The hot spot from the truck to inside the AS is more than adequate. I do agree about Sprint, however. They don't have the best coverage. That said, roaming is free also and we find that adequate for surfing and email.
Kosm1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:10 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
We use a Pepwave router with a USB stick from Millenicom. Our Millenicom plan runs is served by the Verizon 3G network. We have 20GB per month service and have never come close to hitting the limit even with video downloads to two laptops as well as surfing the net, uploading photos and videos, and downloading hundreds of emails. Millenicom bills us monthly and we can cancel at any time with no penalty. We can also temporarily suspend service.

Reception has never been an issue. We stick the Pepwave to the rear pano window when we are in a campground and use the Internet without worrying about the campground service which is usually slower than the Millenicom service. On the highway we plug the Pepwave into a 12 volt outlet and have a hot spot in the truck as we are going down the highway. We use an iPad or laptop connected to the hotspot while in the truck. This frees up our phones for receiving or making calls.

I considered the Wifi Ranger, and Wifi Ranger Sky products. I decided campground wifi service is usually poor so simply magnifying the signal when the bandwidth is probably inadequate will not greatly improve speed or throughput. I also wanted a solution I could use at campsites with no wifi service and I didn't want to deal with running wires to the outside of the trailer. We camp frequently in state parks with no wifi service. In addition I wanted a hotspot in the truck when on the road. The Pepwave combined with the Millenicom service has been ideal for us.
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:08 AM   #43
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Wexford , Pennsylvania
Hi Chuck,

This looks very promising. Exactly which Pepwave router are you using and where did you get it? Also, when I looked at the Millenicom site, they have 3 plans. One is unlimited and the other the hot spot. I'm assuming that the unlimited would be for 1 user? Can you describe how your system is set up in your AS? Last question (thanks)... when you download movies, where are you getting yours. Most services are streaming.
Anna girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:44 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pepwave and Millenicom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna girl View Post
Hi Chuck,

This looks very promising. Exactly which Pepwave router are you using and where did you get it? Also, when I looked at the Millenicom site, they have 3 plans. One is unlimited and the other the hot spot. I'm assuming that the unlimited would be for 1 user? Can you describe how your system is set up in your AS? Last question (thanks)... when you download movies, where are you getting yours. Most services are streaming.
Anna,

I use the Pepwave Surf on the Go router which I purchased from 3gstore.com for $99. I have the Millenicom Hotspot Plan although my monthly cost is lower than Millenicom offers today because I purchased when the price was lower and I am grandfathered in. Note on 3Gstore's website they sell the Millenicom service but I purchased from Millenicom directly.

Millenicom sold me the USB stick to plug into the Pepwave. The Pepwave has two suction cups on the back. I stick the cups to the panoramic window by the dinette at the rear of my 27FB Safari. I've never had a reception issue but you can also purchase an optional outside antenna from the 3G store if you wish. The range on the router is excellent. I can use the internet sitting outside my trailer and I've actually used it inside an Airstream in a campsite next to me with the Pepwave in my trailer.

All of the videos I've downloaded have been from YouTube. I've also created YouTube videos of up to 12 minutes in length on my Mac and uploaded to YouTube in HD. The transmission rates have always been reasonable.

At home I stream on my Apple TV and from Amazon but have never done it in the trailer. Quite frankly we almost never watch the television in the trailer.

The Pepwave will also pick up the campground wifi signal. I rarely use the campground wifi because the Pepwave with Millenicom service is almost always faster. I've never had an issue bumping up on the 20GB limit, even in January when we were on the road for 3 weeks and using it heavily. I do some consulting from the road and often use it 3-4 hours a day to connect to my clients, including Skype calls. My wife also spends 3-4 hours a day on the internet. I'm able to upload and download large document files from my clients with ease. We've had as many as three laptops using the device simultaneously without any service or speed issues. For most tasks we find the service to be as fast and reliable as our cable internet service at home.

We also use the Pepwave in our truck when pulling the Airstream. We take it with us when we travel by car as well. It is compact enough to carry in your carryon luggage or briefcase when flying. It can also be used at home when your cable or DSL service is acting up.

As to which Millenicom service plan, it really depends on your needs. When I bought mine, the 20GB plan was $10 per month less than the unlimited plan and I didn't expect to hit the 20Gb limit. At the time the 20GB hotspot plan was on the Verizon network and the unlimited plan was on Sprint. Verizon had wider coverage nationally so Verizon as the carrier made the hotspot plan more attractive. I suggest you call Millenicom and ask who the carrier is for each plan now. It may help you make a decision.

Phoenix also has a similar set up to mine but his is more sophisticated. I believe he uses an outside antenna. You may wish to search for his posts or PM him.

We are delighted with the performance of our Pepwave/Millenicom system after over a year of use.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:08 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Hi Chuck:

Hope you don't mind me bringing an old post of yours back up but it is exactly what i'm looking for.... (Thanks)
Just wondering if you still feel this is the best configuration for accessing the internet while traveling.
Because i'm from Canada, having some type of USA system that allows me to access the internet while in the south but not have to continue to pay $$ once I head back to Canada is very important.

Thanks very much

Cheers
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida 55 View Post
Anna,

I use the Pepwave Surf on the Go router which I purchased from 3gstore.com for $99. I have the Millenicom Hotspot Plan although my monthly cost is lower than Millenicom offers today because I purchased when the price was lower and I am grandfathered in. Note on 3Gstore's website they sell the Millenicom service but I purchased from Millenicom directly.

Millenicom sold me the USB stick to plug into the Pepwave. The Pepwave has two suction cups on the back. I stick the cups to the panoramic window by the dinette at the rear of my 27FB Safari. I've never had a reception issue but you can also purchase an optional outside antenna from the 3G store if you wish. The range on the router is excellent. I can use the internet sitting outside my trailer and I've actually used it inside an Airstream in a campsite next to me with the Pepwave in my trailer.

All of the videos I've downloaded have been from YouTube. I've also created YouTube videos of up to 12 minutes in length on my Mac and uploaded to YouTube in HD. The transmission rates have always been reasonable.

At home I stream on my Apple TV and from Amazon but have never done it in the trailer. Quite frankly we almost never watch the television in the trailer.

The Pepwave will also pick up the campground wifi signal. I rarely use the campground wifi because the Pepwave with Millenicom service is almost always faster. I've never had an issue bumping up on the 20GB limit, even in January when we were on the road for 3 weeks and using it heavily. I do some consulting from the road and often use it 3-4 hours a day to connect to my clients, including Skype calls. My wife also spends 3-4 hours a day on the internet. I'm able to upload and download large document files from my clients with ease. We've had as many as three laptops using the device simultaneously without any service or speed issues. For most tasks we find the service to be as fast and reliable as our cable internet service at home.

We also use the Pepwave in our truck when pulling the Airstream. We take it with us when we travel by car as well. It is compact enough to carry in your carryon luggage or briefcase when flying. It can also be used at home when your cable or DSL service is acting up.

As to which Millenicom service plan, it really depends on your needs. When I bought mine, the 20GB plan was $10 per month less than the unlimited plan and I didn't expect to hit the 20Gb limit. At the time the 20GB hotspot plan was on the Verizon network and the unlimited plan was on Sprint. Verizon had wider coverage nationally so Verizon as the carrier made the hotspot plan more attractive. I suggest you call Millenicom and ask who the carrier is for each plan now. It may help you make a decision.

Phoenix also has a similar set up to mine but his is more sophisticated. I believe he uses an outside antenna. You may wish to search for his posts or PM him.

We are delighted with the performance of our Pepwave/Millenicom system after over a year of use.
Arcticfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:54 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Arctic Fox,

As far as plans go, as of Feb 2014, here are the winners depending on what your data needs are. Note that one of them has a no expiration on the data paid for:

Millenicom $70/mth 20GB data activation fees (if you deactivate each season)
Freedom Pop $30/Mth 4GB data
Internet on the Go $45 3GB data no expiration and activation/deactivation fees

The main issue is how much per month do you need? If for email and websurfing then you may be OK with either of the cheaper plans. So then it is time to pick up and leave, you just go but do not have a monthly fee all year long (at least with IoTG).

One the part of streaming movies, last weekend I was in Disney watching Netflix on my WiFi Ranger system. They offer a "modem kit" when you stay there which is free but they say there is no wireless- just direct connect. I used it to attach to my system and voila - wireless. I was able to watch netflix wirelessly, so it can be done with the WiFi Ranger. I also watched part of a movie today as a test using my mifi on Internet on the Go. It worked too BUT I ran out of data on the account before the movie was over and had to reload. Movies eat up too much data for any account - even millenicom with 20GB at least for a regular watcher of streaming.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:39 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

1956 22' Safari
Lakewood, WA in the summer and Boulder City, NV in the winter , WA / NV
Send a message via AIM to Rick56Safari
I am curious about this WiFi Ranger. Will it allow me to set up a hot spot within the trailer? My 56 Air Stream has metal screens on the windows and I can't get any signal inside. My previous solution was to run an USB wire from my laptop to an Hawkings Antenna outside, thru the trunk door. But now we both have tablets and Ipods and need WiFi inside.
Also can I just set it on a pole outside and use the same USB cable to access it???
Thanks
Rick
Old 03-30-2014, 07:18 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We are installing a Sky WiFi Ranger on the refrigerator vent roof along with a remote antenna for the Verizon 6420LE LTE cellular data modem. The 4620 can be tethered to the inside part of the Sky Ranger so the WiFi signal from the modem is trailer wide (the modem could do that anyway).

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:27 AM   #49
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Would like to see your install pictures on the Sky and the additional antenna. On the list of things to do with my new FC25. I have the WiFi Ranger and the equivalent of the MobileTI (Ubiquiti Bullet M5 with a Marine Stick Antenna). Really pulls in the signals when they are available. At my home I can see 4-5 systems. Power up the Bullet (WFRBoost mode) and it jumps to 45-50 stations.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:08 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
WiFi Signal amplifier

Wifi ranger RV kit has a radio transmitter/ router externally known as a mobile with. 3db antenna and an indoor router called a go. The two work in tandem as a master slave setup. The indoor router allows for wireless in the trailer. The external unit provides a strong signal. Also the antenna is upgradable but they do not recommend it as the FCC max antenna on that powered unit is around 6db and they believe the 3db is the best overall. Radio labs makes a 12db antenna, uh hum. That is say 10x power,
Old 03-31-2014, 11:17 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
The sky has a 100mw radio - 20db and the mobile has a 600mw radio- 27.78 db. I believe the FCC limit is 30db or so but I might be wrong.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:53 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
The sky has a 100mw radio - 20db and the mobile has a 600mw radio- 27.78 db. I believe the FCC limit is 30db or so but I might be wrong.

Found it! The limit is 4w or 36db total power/antenna
Old 03-31-2014, 06:46 PM   #53
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
Will the ranger work when used ONLY with iPads ( no laptops) using Apple Safari as the web browser?

Gary
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:24 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
I don't know for sure - as I don't own a ranger unit yet. But it should work just fine as all is does in create a local WFI network that your iPad then accesses.
Hope this helps
Doug
Old 03-31-2014, 07:37 PM   #55
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Works with any device. Just like your home router. Connect to the ranger and whatever the Ranger is connected to will be a pass through to your laptop/desktop/pad/pod/droid or froid. You do need to use one of them to connect to the WiFIRanger when you first power it up in a new location and tell the internal control panel what WiFi spot you want it to connect to. That might take a couple of minutes but after that every other device that connects is good to go.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:12 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Photos will be posted after the modification program is completed. I will arrive at the modifiers location on 10 April to pick up the truck and trailer and drive the rig back home to Arizona.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:19 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Photos will be posted after the modification program is completed. I will arrive at the modifiers location on 10 April to pick up the truck and trailer and drive the rig back home to Arizona.
Thanks - I look forward to seeing the pictures as this is something I would like to also do

TKS
Doug
Old 03-31-2014, 08:46 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
It works with Apple products quite well.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:31 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Doug,

We are still very pleased with the PepWave Surf on the Go router and the Millenicom service. During 2013 we spent 105 nights in the Airstream including a 2 month trip from NC to Colorado and New Mexico. We stayed primarily in state parks. We also spent considerable time in Florida in January and February.

My wife uses the Pepwave with an iPad while we are in the truck traveling from place to place. The Pepwave moves to the trailer for overnights where it serves as a router and hotspot for two Macbook laptops, the iPad, and a wireless Epson X410 compact all-in-one printer. The system works superbly.

Here are some specific observations:

1) So far I've seen no need to buy an outside antenna. When in camp we stick the Pepwave on the glass in one rounded corner of the panoramic window at the rear of our 27FB Safari with its suction cups. If there is Verizon service in the area (Millenicom is on the Verizon network) we pick it up. Our cellular phones are on a separate Verizon plan. If we have Verizon phone service in a location we have data service through Millenicom. If the phones can't pick up a signal outside the trailer, we won't have data service via the Pepwave and Millenicom.
2) Overall Millenicom service coverage on the Verizon network has been good. There were a few isolated locations in the west, both on highways and in very rural mountainous areas of Colorado where Verizon did not have service. We expected to experience some out of service areas and weren't particularly inconvenienced. Most places we stayed overnight we had service. The one major exception was in the panhandle of Oklahoma at Black Mesa State Park where there was no cell phone service for miles.
3) The Pepwave router has worked flawlessly as a hotspot and seems to have a broadcast range around the trailer of at least 50 feet. It has good up to date password security and encryption so we've never had an issue of another camper using our wifi.
4) The most data usage we've experienced is 12 GB in one month. That particular month we had some very heavy downloading of large data files and software updates due to the after replacing a crashed hard drive on the road. We leave the router and internet service on 24/7 while traveling.
5) Upload and download speed on the 4G Verizon network feels as fast as on our cable modem at home. When were are in 3G only service areas downloading is definitely slower. We do very little video downloading, except the occasional short YouTube video. Streaming is often choppy on 3G but adequate on 4G.
6) Now that we are comfortable with not exceeding the data limits, we almost never try to access campground wifi. The Pepwave Millenicom setup is invariably faster and more reliable than campground service.
7) We we aren't traveling with the Airstream, we often carry the iPad and Pepwave around with us in a tote bag. On car trips DW can access the internet on the iPad while I drive. We have a 110v adapter, as well as the 12v, so if we are in a public location without wifi, and have access to an electrical outlet, we can use a laptop or our iPad.
8) It is possible to set up a separate guest network on the Pepwave if you want to give a camping neighbor wifi access.
9) I have performed one firmware update on the Pepwave since I purchased it. I noticed no change in performance after the update. The update was simple.
10) Our uses are primarily internet surfing and email. We do sent photos via email and I have both uploaded to and downloaded from YouTube. We have never tried to stream a TV show or movie. My consulting clients will occasionally send a large document file and I've never had a problem sending or receiving these files.
11) Only once have I experienced what I suspected was Verizon limiting the download speed. I was in a remote 3G service area in rural Colorado and had a large (1.2GB) software update to download. It took nearly 12 hours (overnight) to download and in monitoring the download it was obvious the download speed after about 20 minutes of downloading had slowed significantly. As this was a unique exception to the excellent service we've experienced I wasn't too annoyed.
12) If your cable or DSL service goes down at home, this is a nice backup to have available.
13) To date we have not tried to suspend service with Millenicom and then resume. This is a nice feature to have if you aren't going to be camping for a few months, but so far we seem to be using the service almost every month.
14) There is no contract with Millenicom (you buy your USB modem) so if for some reason the service no longer works for us we can cancel at any time without penalty.

We are extremely satisfied with this approach to providing a reliable wireless hotspot with internet service for our Airstream. It is simple and easy to set up as well as operate. Simple and trouble free is nice to have on the road!
Old 04-01-2014, 05:15 AM   #60
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
Stafford , Virginia
Will these work on the T-Mobile network?

S/OS#069
TAC # TX-33
WBCCI #5702

"Eva" 2004 Classic Limited 34' S/O
"Wall-E" 2012 Ford F250 King Ranch
Air-Texas is offline   Reply With Quote