Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Computers, Internet & Satellite
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-24-2016, 08:49 AM   #1

2016 30' International
Elkin , North Carolina
Wifi Ranger Installation

Does anyone have any words of advice on the installation of a Wifi Ranger Elite FM on a new 30' Airstream Serenity.

Where is the best place for installation on the roof? Will being to close to the AC or Backup camera cause interference?

Should I use 3M VHB Tape or Rivets to install?

Should I drill a hole or route the wire it through the fridge vent?

Better yet, how would I go about finding an good installer who understands Airstreams in the Winston-Salem / Charlotte NC area. The local Airstream dealer is backed up.

I'm brand new to RVing and any help would be appreciated.
Whelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
You'll get more consistent internet access using tethering to your cell phone with AT&T or Verizon than trying to use RV park WiFi access. My experience trying to use RV park WiFi has been dismal - occasionally OK for email, terrible for streaming and frequently poor for browsing. If anything, I would invest in a Verizon Jetpack and an external antenna.
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 09:59 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . we mounted ours on top of the reefer vent on a FC28. . . and it's still there ! ! Seems to work reasonably well, although I'd didn't have much experience without to compare. As with most things, folks here seem to think 'their' way is the only way. Looks to me like there are a lot of solutions possible. . . your choice, good luck, Craig
Old 05-24-2016, 10:04 AM   #4

2016 30' International
Elkin , North Carolina
That is an excellent suggestion, unfortunately I have two boys that run through my 20 gig At&T cell plan in a few days. I figured if I added Wifi Ranger I can restrict them to whatever wifi (good or bad) that is available. If the reception is poor, maybe I could even get them outside the Airstream to go on a hike. :-)

I'm going to check out the Verizon Jetpack for myself and wife. Anything has to be better that At&T. Best regards.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:09 AM   #5

2016 30' International
Elkin , North Carolina
Placing the Wifi on the reefer vent seems to be a perfect place. Adds a little height to the FM model. Plus, I don't have any wires running across my roof. Thanks.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:55 PM   #6
Freedom blanket

2017 27' International
Fort Worth , Texas
Whelan! Thanks for your post on the WifiRanger. How is it holding up since you've installed it and we've had some decent weather in NC? I'm looking at doing a similar install on my new 27FB so any advice on best practices is welcome.

Cheers,

Graham
Herk-Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 07:52 AM   #7

2016 30' International
Elkin , North Carolina
Wifi Ranger Install

I ended up going up to Jackson Center and having Airstream install my Wifi Ranger. They did a excellent job. Especially running the wire down and along side my Frig and mounting it under my dinette bench. They hooked into DC power at the fuse box.

The technician said he mounted the unit on the roof using screws then sealing it. I thought they would have used rivets.

As far as the Wifi Ranger is concerned, the verdict is still out. Unfortunately or fortunately as the case may be, I have only stayed in RV parks with good Wifi reception, so I have not seen any improvement using the product as of yet.

With over $1000 invested in product and installation I'm not sure if it is the best value, especially since prices are coming down on phone bandwidth.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:16 PM   #8
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whelan View Post
With over $1000 invested in product and installation I'm not sure if it is the best value, especially since prices are coming down on phone bandwidth.
What I love best is the WifiRanger product line is *RIFE* with security and privacy issues (things like, for instance, passwords are stored in clear text, and available in clear text, for anyone on the wan side of your router to view / modify / manipulate -- and that's just ONE of MANY major problems).

These things can be hacked so easily. And the company seems unconcerned.

They love taking advantage of a market of retirees who are not techies too when it comes to reselling sub $100 components. Targeting the RV industry was brilliant marketing. Truly found a great niche in a market that was already in commodity status. Hat's off to them.

I would just never touch or recommend that hardware to anyone. Ever.
Old 09-30-2016, 12:32 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Hello all, I went with the WIFIranger Elite with their mini router. I'll be installing a batwing TV antenna to roof, and will add the elite on to that.

When installing the batwing TV antenna do folks usually use screws or rivets to mount it?