Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Computers, Internet & Satellite
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-07-2017, 02:27 PM   #1
MOS
3 Rivet Member

2023 19' Caravel
Queensbury , New York
Which satellite dish and network provider ??

Want to get a dish for the 2016 FC 28W.
It has a outside connection on one side and , I guess some connecting wires for the box inside .

So is one brand better than another ?
Which provider will give me the best for travelers in the USA ?

At some point in the future I make install it on the roof but for now just move it around on the ground .
Thanks
MOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I used Directv for close to 20 years.
The one thing I would suggest you consider is not mounting the antenna on the trailer. You have a tendency to park under trees. Another thing is if you do not use the receiver for 2 or 3 weeks they tend to shut it off leaving you having to call them when you set up. They seam to forget to stop charging for it while it is shut off so if you are stored for long periods you have to call and cancel the billing.

We no longer have to service. The I phone works and many more campgrounds now have cable.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I have had DirecTV service at home for many years. So I use DirecTV on my trailer. IF I were starting from scratch, I would probably go with Dish network.
1. The less expensive Dish network antennas will get HD, with DireCTV there is only one self-pointing RV antenna; it is only roof-mountable, and it is near $1500. If you are handy, you can buy a home dish, put it on a tripod, and point it manually for around $100, but you have to get the tripod level, then you have to make two adjustments on the antenna before you point it, and then you need a compass and someone inside to relay signal strengths, or a phone inside and with you so you can hear the aiming tones.
2. The last time I checked, you could turn off DirecTV once per year or once per 6 months, but Dish allows you to pay as you go, turning it on and off by the month.
3. Regarding the comment about having to call in to get the receiver turned on, I have experienced that but you can do it automatically on DirecTV's web site. I have read on here that Dish doesn't have that capability and it is difficult to get through on the phone to get it done.
4. With either service, you can call in and change your plan so you get local stations wherever you are if you can't get them off the air.

A portable unit is good for moving away from the trailer to get out from under trees, but has the disadvantage of being easily stolen. Portable units for DirecTV only get standard definition, not HD.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 04:02 PM   #4
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
We have Directv, Mainly because that is what we use in the house. When taking the trailer, one of the Directv receivers goes with us. We also have both dishes, one mounted on the roof and one portable. Use both depending on what trees are above the trailer.
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 04:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
More to my post....

I said: "If you are handy, you can buy a home dish, put it on a tripod, and point it manually for around $100, but you have to get the tripod level, then you have to make two adjustments on the antenna before you point it, and then you need a compass and someone inside to relay signal strengths, or a phone inside and with you so you can hear the aiming tones."

The aiming process I described is applicable to the newer Genie receivers, or any DirecTV receiver that uses a Single Wire Multifeed (SWM) antenna. If you get an earlier receiver that uses the standard LNB antenna, there are inexpensive tuning meters that go in-line at the antenna so you can point the dish and make other adjustments while watching the meter out at the antenna. I'm told the simple, cheap meters will not work with a SWM dish.

Al
Old 08-08-2017, 05:35 AM   #6
MOS
3 Rivet Member

2023 19' Caravel
Queensbury , New York
What about Winguard and King dishes ?
Old 08-08-2017, 06:54 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
I have had DirecTV service at home for many years. So I use DirecTV on my trailer. IF I were starting from scratch, I would probably go with Dish network.

4. With either service, you can call in and change your plan so you get local stations wherever you are if you can't get them off the air.

A portable unit is good for moving away from the trailer to get out from under trees, but has the disadvantage of being easily stolen. Portable units for DirecTV only get standard definition, not HD.

Al
I also have directv, but I have been told by Directv that when you are traveling you can NOT get local stations unless you are in one place for a long time and call them and change your location. I would love to get the local channels while traveling, just wondering how to get it done.
Hiho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 12:32 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Southlake , Texas
I have Dish at our vacation house, so I got Dish On the Go (or whatever it's called) for the TT. Less than $10 a month, it gets HD and the Winegard antenna aims itself. I have the Winegard X2 antenna and if I was to do it again, I would get the X1. It's smaller and we never want to tune to 2 channels at the same time. A lot of stories going around that the antenna has to be connected directly to the receiver (not using the trailer wiring). That's not true. It works fine connecting to the SAT connection on the outside. I've hooked it up both ways and there is no difference.

I agree that having an antenna that you can move around gives you more flexibility in a wooded area, but even being able to move it around is sometimes not enough. It's amazing how little interference will screw up the signal.

You can also call Dish to stop the service and save the $10. I have never done it because it's more trouble to stop it and restart it if we're only going to not be using it for a month or so. I still have to call them to get the local channels where we are camped.
Bgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 12:56 PM   #9
MOS
3 Rivet Member

2023 19' Caravel
Queensbury , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgibbs View Post
I have Dish at our vacation house, so I got Dish On the Go (or whatever it's called) for the TT. Less than $10 a month, it gets HD and the Winegard antenna aims itself. I have the Winegard X2 antenna and if I was to do it again, I would get the X1. It's smaller and we never want to tune to 2 channels at the same time. A lot of stories going around that the antenna has to be connected directly to the receiver (not using the trailer wiring). That's not true. It works fine connecting to the SAT connection on the outside. I've hooked it up both ways and there is no difference.

I agree that having an antenna that you can move around gives you more flexibility in a wooded area, but even being able to move it around is sometimes not enough. It's amazing how little interference will screw up the signal.

You can also call Dish to stop the service and save the $10. I have never done it because it's more trouble to stop it and restart it if we're only going to not be using it for a month or so. I still have to call them to get the local channels where we are camped.

Is the $10. per month charge priced because you also have it at home ?
Old 08-08-2017, 01:15 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOS View Post
Is the $10. per month charge priced because you also have it at home ?
Yes, if you have Dish at home you can add your RV receiver for $7.00 per month. We don't have it at home so pay full amount for whichever channel plan we want which can be changed anytime. Also, you can turn on and off service on a rolling 30 days periods. We opted for the Wineguard X-2 because of the larger dish and user experience reports being better than the King. The X-2 cannot be mounted on the roof but as others have said you really want to be able to position it for signal because the least little bit of tree leaf interference will drop the signal. Worked flawlessly out of the box and Dish was efficient in getting our Wally receiver registered. All in cost was $499 including shipping.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:06 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
What about Winguard and King dishes ?
I don't know if this question was meant for me, but when I said DirecTV dishes, I was including manufacturers like Winegard. In fact, the dish on my roof for DirecTV is a Winegard Trav'ler. It replaced a Winegard AS-2003 18x21 dish which only got standard definition.

As far as I know, you have to have the slimline dish (regardless of who makes it) to get HD on DirecTV and the only self-pointing one I found was the one I have.

The small (18" round and 18"x21") dishes in radomes like the Carryout and X1/X2 are made for DirecTV but will not get HD, at least not the last time I looked at them. I think it is a technology thing. DirecTV satellites are spaced such that they play games with the dish alignment. If you look at one, you will notice that the major axis of the dish is not horizontal. This is called "skew". DirecTV dishes must be aligned in azimuth, elevation, and skew at each location. Dish network antennas align only in azimuth and elevation. This adds another gear train to the automatic dishes making them more expensive.

Al
Old 08-08-2017, 03:32 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Pearland , Texas
Dish Network here, with a VIP211Z receiver( purchased refurbished for less than $50) with a WD external HD. One time fee to set up the HD and it operates just like DVR receiver I have at home, but only one channel at a time. As the previous poster said it is $7 a month. I use a Wingard Carryout dish. I can usually find a place to place it with no interference from trees. Originally I used the receiver from home, but this is much easier.
Best of luck.
2003 Chevy 2500HD Duramax 4X4
dalecamp` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 03:43 PM   #13

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I have a Dish Tailgater and a Dish 211z receiver. As best I know I've never heard of anyone having a portable satellite dish stolen. I do carry a chain that can be used to secure the dish if necessary. Since I have Dish at home, my only cost is the activation of the receiver which is prorated at $7 a month. Typically I activate the receiver just before we leave home, and deactivate it upon return.

While there is some nicety in having the dish mounted to your vehicle, I like the freedom of being able to move it around. Not all sites at campgrounds are clear enough to get a clear shot at the sky. A moveable dish makes a lot of difference in finding that clear spot.

As noted I can receive all the channels I subscribed to at home. The only channels not available may be your locals dependent upon where you are camped. The good side is if you are out of the footprint of your local stations, you can call Dish and have them switch you to the locals in the area you are staying at.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:26 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Quartz Hill , California
I have Dish at home.
So I wanted Dish on the road. I chose Dish for my service because you can add your RV service on a pay as you go month to month. So if you don't plan on RVing for a couple of months, call them up and shut it off. There are no start up or off charges.
Also, Dish offers HD programming.
My antenna is the Dish King Tailgater hooked to a VIP 211 receiver. It is fully automatic. It takes about 15 minutes to setup. I purchased the antenna online from Camping World.
You need to change the splitter in the cabinet where the DVD player is located. I purchased my splitter directly from Monoprice. It was half the price purchasing from Airstream.
greenflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:38 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
2016 30' Classic
Covington , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
I have a Dish Tailgater and a Dish 211z receiver. As best I know I've never heard of anyone having a portable satellite dish stolen. I do carry a chain that can be used to secure the dish if necessary. Since I have Dish at home, my only cost is the activation of the receiver which is prorated at $7 a month. Typically I activate the receiver just before we leave home, and deactivate it upon return.

While there is some nicety in having the dish mounted to your vehicle, I like the freedom of being able to move it around. Not all sites at campgrounds are clear enough to get a clear shot at the sky. A moveable dish makes a lot of difference in finding that clear spot.

As noted I can receive all the channels I subscribed to at home. The only channels not available may be your locals dependent upon where you are camped. The good side is if you are out of the footprint of your local stations, you can call Dish and have them switch you to the locals in the area you are staying at.

Jack
DITTO here!
Sjcjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 05:10 AM   #16
MOS
3 Rivet Member

2023 19' Caravel
Queensbury , New York
So do the dishes draw much power ?
The portable one have a cable and power cord that connect to the TT ?
Old 08-09-2017, 08:03 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Severna Park , Maryland
A friend of mine sold his '08 Winnie View recently and used a portable King Tailgater on a Dish Network. He like that he could subscribe month to month. Easy setup. It's now available for purchase.
RedBird64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:46 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Quote:
So do the dishes draw much power ?
The portable one have a cable and power cord that connect to the TT ?
The Dish powers the antennas through the coax. Not sure how DirectTV power theirs. Also, as to the question of theft I have a cable that I padlock to the dish/stand and whatever is nearby. It may prevent a crime of opportunity where they will move on to an easier target.