Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Computers, Internet & Satellite
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-12-2021, 06:28 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Litchfield Park , Arizona
What happens when AT&T plan runs out or is about to?

For those of you with Airstream Connected, what happens when your plan is about to run out or runs out? Does AT&T send you an email, call you, or does it just die?

Thanks,

Steve
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 06:43 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2009 23' International
2020 27' Globetrotter
GREENSBURG , PA
I got an email. Currently replaced the SIM with a T-Mobile. It was as easy as it sounds for a non-classic
Joe15601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 06:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FYI this other recent thread may be helpful, in general, for alternatives IMO:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f45...-a-222129.html

FYI
FWIW

PS -- Joe -- I just noticed Greensburg PA -- has Airstream of Western PA gone out of business? We got our FC20 there a few years ago. Thanks
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 07:32 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Litchfield Park , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe15601 View Post
I got an email. Currently replaced the SIM with a T-Mobile. It was as easy as it sounds for a non-classic
Did the email offer any choices for what you could do next?

Was wondering if they'd offer the new 100G/month plan. Beats what Airstream announced when they told us the AT&T Unlimited plan was going away.

Thanks,

Steve
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 12:35 PM   #5

Currently Looking...
New Eagle , Pennsylvania
Can I just swap sim? For T mobile

Quote:
Hi Joe, I need Internet on the road and was interested in the AT&T connect but the plan is too expensive. I was told it’s proprietary to AT&T. I pick up a Globetrotter tomarrow a Colonial. Can I have the AT&T connect installed for Wi-Fi and then just get A T-Mobile Sim card since that’s my phone plan anyway? I had a Sim card in my iPad. What do you you pay for the T-Mobile Sim? Unlimited? And is it as simple as swapping the cards to T-Mobile?
Thanks
Scott
25 GT FBT
TV is 2021 Ram 2500 LTD
AirstrmAv8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 02:29 PM   #6
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
To answer your specific question: Yes, you plan will just die, no service will be delivered after your expiration date under that plan. There are no grandfather rights.

You will need to find a new plan, either with AT&T or another carrier. for heavy data users, all options on the market are inferior to what Airstream Connected plan provided, so if you are a heavy data user, you will be disappointed.

It is what it is so to speak.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 08:57 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2009 23' International
2020 27' Globetrotter
GREENSBURG , PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
FYI this other recent thread may be helpful, in general, for alternatives IMO:

FYI
FWIW

PS -- Joe -- I just noticed Greensburg PA -- has Airstream of Western PA gone out of business? We got our FC20 there a few years ago. Thanks
Airstream of Western PA is no more. The franchise went an hour east to Altoona about five years ago. They sold other brands for a while, but not any more. It is all Ranger Trailer now. The good news is Alex and Carl are still there servicing trailers, but they moved about a mile north. Many Airstream owners still trust them with their repairs and they have been a great resource for me. When I bought my first Airstream, a 2009 23D International it was from them. I bought my Globetrotter from an out of state dealer and brought it home December of 2019. I found a few issues immediately and they helped me sort it out. They found the source of and repaired some exterior leaks and some other minor issues. Of course they charged me, but in my opinion it was all done properly and completely on the first try (I have not been able to find any signs of leaks since). It sure beat the hassle of towing it to a distant location or trying get dealer service in a timely manner. I had it home, cleaned, repaired and in storage seamlessly.

If it wasn't for them I might not be an Airstreamer.
Old 05-13-2021, 09:07 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2009 23' International
2020 27' Globetrotter
GREENSBURG , PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstrmAv8r View Post
Hi Joe, I need Internet on the road and was interested in the AT&T connect but the plan is too expensive. I was told it’s proprietary to AT&T. I pick up a Globetrotter tomarrow a Colonial. Can I have the AT&T connect installed for Wi-Fi and then just get A T-Mobile Sim card since that’s my phone plan anyway? I had a Sim card in my iPad. What do you you pay for the T-Mobile Sim? Unlimited? And is it as simple as swapping the cards to T-Mobile?
Thanks
Scott
25 GT FBT
TV is 2021 Ram 2500 LTD
I put in a T-Mobile SIM from RV-4G at the end of April. So far so good. It is supposed to be unlimited, unthrottled DATA plan, we'll see.
I took the AT&T out and stashed it for safe keeping. Put in the new SIM. For some reason the slot 1 was empty and AT&T was in slot 2, now my new SIM is in slot 2. I entered the activation information on their web site. It said they would activate during normal business hours, but they did it on the weekend (only a couple hours after submitting). I unplugged the router and plugged it back in (did not press the reset) and everything started working. The only thing is Airstream Connected doesn't know where my trailer is.
Old 05-14-2021, 03:59 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Airstream of Western PA is no more. The franchise went an hour east to Altoona about five years ago. They sold other brands for a while, but not any more. It is all Ranger Trailer now. The good news is Alex and Carl are still there servicing trailers, but they moved about a mile north. Many Airstream owners still trust them with their repairs and they have been a great resource for me. When I bought my first Airstream, a 2009 23D International it was from them. I bought my Globetrotter from an out of state dealer and brought it home December of 2019. I found a few issues immediately and they helped me sort it out. They found the source of and repaired some exterior leaks and some other minor issues. Of course they charged me, but in my opinion it was all done properly and completely on the first try (I have not been able to find any signs of leaks since). It sure beat the hassle of towing it to a distant location or trying get dealer service in a timely manner. I had it home, cleaned, repaired and in storage seamlessly.

If it wasn't for them I might not be an Airstreamer.
Great to hear this . . . Alex and Carl were very helpful on the phone, about a small problem, after I got home with the new FC20. They mailed a part I needed under the warranty. Is this info current?

https://rangertrailer.com/staff/

Thanks,
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote