Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2019, 03:43 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
New Hudson , Michigan
Weboost Antenna Ideas?

Hey, was looking at adding a weboost to my FC, and was thinking it would be really nice if I could find a telescoping pole that fit inside the LP Gas tank cover, so I could just pop the cover and extend it up when parked and pull it back down and store it when not in use inside the cover? Thoughts? Been searching AMAZON trying to find a pole short enough to fit inside the cover but haven't seen anything yet I'd consider to be sturdy enough looking to hold the antenna...

TIA...
Eric
ekbruster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:03 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
I can’t help you there but my plan is to use one of the portable flag poles and a flag pole holder that is meant to go under a vehicle tire. I currently place it under my front Jack to hold it down. Your antenna wires can be coiled and stored in the battery compartment.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I use a suction cup on the outside to hold an antenna. It’s easy to take down and put up.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/tec...ion-cup-mount/

Run the wires through the storage access and up through the bed where I can connect the weboost on the inside.

It doesn’t cost much and is easy to store.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:49 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Clayton , Georgia
Mine is permanently mounted at the rear of the trailer on a piece of 1½" wide aluminum bar that puts the antenna above the A/C unit. Aluminum bar is glued to the roof (VHB tape under it and Eternabond tape over it)and antenna cable runs in and out the grey water vent to the WeBoost amplifier mounted in the closet through which the vent pipe runs.

Antenna raises the height of the trailer about 10" above what it was, but the aluminum bar will bend down if I accidentally hit a tree limb pulling into a camp site.
TV: 2017 Ford F250 Lariat w/ Blue Ox Sway Pro
AIRForums #126944 WBCCI #1297
Baby Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 06:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
I saw a Weboost pole for sale in the classified section.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:58 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Southwestern Ontario , Ontario Canada
Send a message via MSN to TRIPPPIN Send a message via Yahoo to TRIPPPIN
What about an omni directional antenna mounted on the roof? We have one and it works well and I never have to set up. It doesn't increase the height limit of our trailer - it is about the same height as the AC. We have it at the front opposite end of the trailer from the rear internal antenna and the AC doesn't block its path. We have been many places with weak or no signals unboosted and have always been able to stream etc.
TRIPPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 07:48 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
New Hudson , Michigan
So I bought the weboost drive-reach system, and after getting it and realizing how small the antenna is that comes with the kit, I ordered the OTR antenna (should come in tomorrow). Struggling if I look to find a way to permanently mount it on the roof clearing my AC units, or if I just take the easy route and get a flag-pole holder and get it setup every time I camp. I doubt I'd use it much on the road when stopping off at rest-areas and such, and I do like the idea of putting the interior antenna unit in the front of the trailer where the bed is (running wires through the front compartment) as opposed to putting it near the dinette next to the Fridge) 30FC Bunk model. The range of the interior antenna seems very short and wont cover the entire trailer so have to weigh my options.

I do like the idea of the flag-pole mount under the front jack, but the best I've seen a flag-pole collapse is down to 4' which is still a bit difficult to store. Probably go that route initially and look to "glue" it to the top of the trailer once I'm convinced it really does perform well enough that I'd use it that frequently.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:09 PM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The more coax you run to the antenna, the less chance you have of getting the maximum boost. That is even more true if you route it through the cable TV wiring in the trailer. A short run to a small antenna may do better than a big long run to a directional antenna.

Is this *always* true? Certainly not. The coax nukes the received signal. Once it's gone, there is no way to get it back. The WeBoost plays games with the transmitted signal so there is no telling what it may do in response to more cable loss. Up to a point, it will increase it's power and there will be no bad effect.

So, when you get lousy data performance, is it the transmit or the receive side that is the weak link? You would *think* upload and download speeds would answer that. Unfortunately both are bi-directional processes. Something goes out and an "ok I got it" comes back. Whichever side ( RX or TX ) throttles the system.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 08:15 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2023 27' International
Waynesville , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekbruster View Post
Hey, was looking at adding a weboost to my FC, and was thinking it would be really nice if I could find a telescoping pole that fit inside the LP Gas tank cover, so I could just pop the cover and extend it up when parked and pull it back down and store it when not in use inside the cover? Thoughts? Been searching AMAZON trying to find a pole short enough to fit inside the cover but haven't seen anything yet I'd consider to be sturdy enough looking to hold the antenna...

TIA...

Eric

Extendable painter’s pole will get you 18’ into the air. Clips glued to outside camper to keep it erect. Detach while traveling, snap on when stationary.
DAVSCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:15 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
Extending Antenna

We use a flag pole/antenna pole made by sliding a 10 foot 1/2 inch steel conduit inside of a 3/4 inch steel conduit. It gets the antenna up about 19 feet above the ground. It works great. At a campground where we get no reception at ground level (Brown's Canyon in Colorado) we get 3 bars of LTE. And the hole thing cost about $30 including the flag pole stand that goes under the jack stand.
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 07:58 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
New Hudson , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
We use a flag pole/antenna pole made by sliding a 10 foot 1/2 inch steel conduit inside of a 3/4 inch steel conduit. It gets the antenna up about 19 feet above the ground. It works great. At a campground where we get no reception at ground level (Brown's Canyon in Colorado) we get 3 bars of LTE. And the hole thing cost about $30 including the flag pole stand that goes under the jack stand.
Yeah I'm doing this same thing for the initial test before I permanently mount it. I went a bit cheaper, didn't by the plate for under the jack stand, but rather drilled a hole through a 6x6 block that I put under the front jack, mounted a piece of conduit PVC in it, and have a 12ft extension pole that I mounted the antenna on. Going to run it through the front compartment and see how it works next weekend at a state park here in Michigan that barely can pick up one bar of 3G to see what I can get.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:02 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
New Hudson , Michigan
Yeah agreed, I'm trying not to put any extensions into the existing antenna package I bought with the unit, but think I can pull of going up at least 12 feet by running it through the front compartment directly into the receiver. Get to try it out next weekend and I'll post the results. I did it in the driveway, inside the trailer I get about a signal of -124 w/o the booster, and -91 with the booster enabled so it appears to be doing it's job.