Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2016, 09:19 PM   #21
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searun View Post
So, my 2 cents is you will pay a premium for the ease of set up and awesome customer service, but so far it's been worth it for us.
I don't understand how the setup is easier. It's about the same. That's the point I'm making. The marketing is just aimed at the RV market and those who aren't, as you described yourself, tech smart. They know that, and they took advantage of it.

Just my opinion based on my experience and being an IT guy who has examined both hardware setups.
Old 08-31-2016, 01:01 AM   #22
Airstream Rookie

2005 31' Classic
Anywhere , Everywhere
Pepwave SoHo...sold out...replacement 'this fall'...shoot dang.
KimberlyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:15 AM   #23
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Bold, WFR has moved past the Ubiquiti to a different external radio/antenna system. Having had the UB Bullet the new 'Elite' setup has gotten better range and signal than the UB in the past. I forget the brand of the external radio/antenna.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 11:51 AM   #24
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Perhaps, but I don't think the hardware is worth the price point still. You're buying a router and an antenna with boosted amplifier. I stick by my assessment, that the hardware is over valued. This is a segment that it's very difficult to make margins; routers are a commodity basically. They found a niche. Good for them.

If it works for you, and you're fine paying a premium and knowing you paid it for marginal gains and a customer support number (which you'd get with 3gstore too); then all the power to you.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:45 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Dallas , Texas
Maybe I am missing something, but I don't understand why you need both devices.

Why wouldn't you be able to use a weBoost to bring in the cellular connection which is picked up by your iPhone then use your iPhone as a personal hotspot to emit wifi to all your other devices?
tabney0315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:16 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabney0315 View Post
Maybe I am missing something, but I don't understand why you need both devices.

Why wouldn't you be able to use a weBoost to bring in the cellular connection which is picked up by your iPhone then use your iPhone as a personal hotspot to emit wifi to all your other devices?
What if you want to pick up a wifi signal that's broadcast outside of your trailer? For instance, you're parked in a friend's driveway and want to get on their wifi. Or campground wifi. Or Starbucks.

The frequency at which we are moochdocking or housesitting or otherwise in a situation where we want to hop on a nearby wifi signal is pretty high.

That's what the wifi device is for.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:37 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Dallas , Texas
Ah, ok, for that purpose it makes sense.

So it's more for the purpose of father longer range wifi signal but it would not be used benefit of increasing strength of signal pulled from inside the trailer (e.g. Cell phone)
Old 08-29-2017, 06:32 AM   #28
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Yes - 2 different amplification devices for amplifying up 2 different types of signals.

For what it is worth I switched from a wifi-ranger to a pepwave soho for my internal wifi network. Better administration interface and more reliable platform in my opinion.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:48 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Yes - 2 different amplification devices for amplifying up 2 different types of signals.

For what it is worth I switched from a wifi-ranger to a pepwave soho for my internal wifi network. Better administration interface and more reliable platform in my opinion.

Excellent. Thank you for the clarification and suggestions
Old 09-01-2017, 03:28 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

Palm Desert , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
We just finished a year on the road - Nat'l Parks, Baja, Alaska - and we used a weBoost Drive 4G-X coupled to a SureCall to boost cell signals. We found that if we needed the weBoost to increase the cell signal, then we weren't going to get high speed internet just FYI.

We also used a Pepwave to pull in wifi signals. Very useful if you are in a park and the hot spot was over there. I also attached the SureCall to the Pepwave when the hot spot was a way over there.

We won't be venturing out this year so I'm selling my stuff (except the $99 Pepwave) in the classified section.

Safe Travels, Dave
dasams is offline   Reply With Quote