Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2019, 05:16 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Saint Helena Island , South Carolina
Web Boost Antenna for a very green internet user

My wife and I are staying in a campground while looking for a new home. The campground has internet service but the other campers say its pretty iffy which is typical of most places we've stayed. Another camper suggested an antenna which he said will help pick up the signal. My question is what to buy and how does it work? Will one antenna work for both my wife's laptop and my Macbook? Will I need a router also? Sorry if this sounds pretty remedial but I know just enough on the internet to cost me money. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You
rollieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 05:32 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Falmouth , Virginia
Are you wanting to amplify an existing wireless broadcast provided by the campground? Or you do you want to amplify a cellular signal from one of the major telecoms?
LuckyCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 05:39 PM   #3
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Also consider the WifiRanger products.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 05:57 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
I'd like to be able to pick up the campground signal. Being we are going to be here for probably three months minimum would I be better off going with something I could use in the future? I'm not trying to be cheap and more than willing to pay for a reliable service.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I bought a Weboost for my IPhone last year, and have used it several times so far this trip.

It has taken 1-2 bars of 3G and turned it into 1-2 bars of very fast LTE.

Good, reliable signal boost, and relatively inexpensive.

You might watch some YouTube videos on these, which give a lot of information.

Maggie
Old 01-10-2019, 06:26 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Lake Havasu City , Arizona
"I'd like to be able to pick up the campground signal."

Thanks for clarifying. As Luckycloud pointed out, there are two kinds of signals an RVer might want to boost: cellular and Wi-Fi. The campground signal you're talking about is Wi-Fi, so you need a Wi-Fi booster such as a WiFiRanger.

The WeBoost cellular boosters (yes, I have one and they are good) won't help with campground Wi-Fi; they are for folks who get their internet connection via the cell phone network, using smartphones, tablets, or routers such as Verizon's Jetpack series.
Paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:39 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
If we went the Wi-Fi booster method what exactly do I need to buy to use an iPad and my Macbook? Would this be just an antenna setup?
Old 01-10-2019, 06:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FYI there have been many discussions of Weboost, in a variety of threads, which may be of value:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Webo...com&gws_rd=ssl

Good luck,

Peter

FYI
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:22 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
The problem I think I'm going to have is my phone with ATT service is pretty weak where we're staying. Thats why we figured the antenna would be the way to go. Am I on the right track here? Sorry to sound kind of naive about this but we get old soon enough.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:08 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Maybe call ATT customer service, and see what they have to tell you about the best way to boost your signal?

I have gotten great help this way on a number of issues from Verizon over the years, particularly from their tech support people

Maggie
Old 01-11-2019, 07:01 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
I use the WeBoost RV system and purchased it from the great people at technorv.com Contact them and they will help you get set up. It's easy and I am so happy with the results
Old 01-11-2019, 10:05 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Irvine , CA
If you have the option of switching cellular provider, consider doing so for one that has better coverage/reception. I use my hotspot for Internet, streaming movies, and gaming. I did purchase a WiFi Ranger in an attempt to better the campground wifi reception, but then realized it was unsecured and it didn't seem to make enough of a difference (while inside the AS) to use. If you store any kind of personal information on your devices I strongly recommend against using the campground wifi. These times call for twenty character passwords and two-factor authentication to protect your identity and life if you want to be on-grid.
Octarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:06 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Clackamas , garyburke
If the park uses Tengo Internet, Or any service that requires a validation to log in, this probably won’t work, but if the WiFi just needs a password, I have used a regular access point you can get st Best Buy or Office Depot. Put it outside if possible, log into it, set up with the park’s SSID and password,. You can make an independent network with its own security setting or just keep the park’s security. Having it outside the AS makes the signal stronger right away and may give you what you need inside. Cost should be <100.
gary1burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:24 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
There is a load of unbiased information on all facets of your situation at the Mobile Internet Resource Center. They have guidebooks and reviews of all of this equipment.

My guess is you’ll end up with a mobile hotspot and possibly a cell booster. Verizon has a great unlimited prepaid plan for their hotspot right now which you’ll learn about at that site.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:33 AM   #15
UnklJoe

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
Campground WiFi Service

My experience with most campground WiFi service is that they only have one (usually cable, sometimes satellite or infrared/line of sight) connection to their Internet service provider--and all campers are trying to use that one connection. It's a BIG bottleneck (that single connection) and if people are streaming any kind of TV or videos it can get very, Very, VERY SLOW, and, you can continually be losing your connection or your connection can be timing out very frequently--all of which can be very frustrating.

Most iPhones (and other cell phones) can be used as WiFi "hotspots" and can accommodate more than one connection (such as both your Macbook and iPad). BUT, if your cell phone service is not very good then your Macbook and iPad connections aren't going to be very good.

So, there are basically two ways to access the Internet using your Macbook and iPad: using the campground's WiFi, or using your iPhone as a WiFi hotspot to provide the Internet signal to your Macbook and iPad. (You would have to enable the WiFi hotspot feature on the iPhone--lots of youTube videos on that--and then use the password provided on the iPhone on the Macbook and iPad to access the iPhone WiFi signal). One thing about using the iPhone as a WiFi hotspot: It drains the iPhone battery pretty quickly, so you usually want to have your iPhone plugged into a charger when using it as a WiFi hotspot. And, using you iPhone as a WiFi hotspot won't provide the fastest Internet access, but it will likely be better than most campground WiFi service. And it will depend on how good your cell phone service is in the campground.

My suggestion would be to consider a WeBoost cell phone booster or similar because it can help anywhere you have a cell phone signal, amplifying that signal for your phones and Macbook and iPad if you use an iPhone as a WiFi hotspot.

A WiFi Ranger MIGHT be a good idea if the WiFi signal is weak in your area of the campground, but if the WiFi is bottlenecked because of the single connection the campground has to an Internet service provider, even amplifying the WiFi signal isn't going to improve that very much, if at all.

Setting up your iPhone as a WiFi hotspot isn't very difficult and it can make connecting to the Internet using your Macbook and iPad easier wherever you are (when you are away from your new home!)--because they will easily find the iPhone all the time and can connect automatically to it.

At present we have two cell service providers (T-mobile and Verizon) and an AT&T WiFi hotspot so we can usually get a good cell phone signal just about anywhere (except many remote national park- and forest campsites). I usually try the campground WiFi service and use it if it's not too slow (which is NOT very often), but can easily switch to one of our cell service providers, whichever one is the best. (I have a personal phone, a work phone, and that AT&T WiFi hotspot (which only costs $20 per month!). We don't camp much yet, but as we begin retirement we will be camping more (hopefully a LOT More) and will probably be getting some kind of cell phone booster (like a WeBoost)--because we can use it anywhere, even at home if there's an interruption in our Internet service (which happens occasionally).

Hope this helps!
UnklJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:43 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
La Pine , Oregon
No reason to pay to join a group for mobile internet information - there are tons of "free" options all over the net and here on the AS Forums.

I originally bought a SureCall RV setup and after having two units die I switched to Weboost and have had no problems whatsoever. As others have mentioned, this is a cell signal booster.

I have AT&T and in outback WA state none (and I mean none) of the cell services have great signals. In some areas T-Mobile has no service so you're roaming on the AT&T network which kills any idea of decent internet service (250 Meg data limit) with T-MO. AT&T has one bar and Verizon has a sketchy one bar signal. My company cell is Verizon and even with the Weboost I get sketchy service. I previously had T-MO but switched to AT&T because of the pathetic data limitations where I was located. Where I'm parked now I get great AT&T and T-Mobile service with and without the Weboost - Verizon, not so much. YMMV.
andyherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:43 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2019 20' Flying Cloud
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
My experience has been that if you have a crappie signal to start with then when it’s amplified all you have is a much stronger crappie signal. Wasted money for the most part. If you have 2 or 3 bars to start with then go for it. But 1 or two or even down to 0 at times wouldn’t work very well. Good luck with whatever you do.
Backfortyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:49 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
My personal experience with campground WiFi is that it is very spotty - often almost useless. If it works, you are subject to bandwidth issues as there are multiple users. It is also not secure since it is a public WiFi. There is a chance you could spend quite a bit of cash and still have mediocre or worse performance.

I am looking at Weboost RV Cell Boost system. Typically our LTE coverage is better than CG WiFi. We too have had some areas where cell service is spotty (like middle of nowhere WY) but we deal with it. One of these days I may pull the trigger on WeBoost.

Second the recommmendation on internet sources like Mobile Internet Resource Center. There are numerous sources of good and independent information and product evaluations out there.
Good Luck!
Old 01-11-2019, 06:36 PM   #19
Silver Star

1970 23' Safari
Victoria , British Columbia
since your there for a few months is getting a line service brought in an option.??
last year in Palm springs Using the RV parks Cable service line we paid to get our own setup ....about $30-40 as i remember and I returned the box 3 1/2 weeks alter and they sent me a cheque for $7.....I couldn't believe they didn't charge me a minimum!...worked awesome like being in a house.
rucos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 06:39 PM   #20
Silver Star

1970 23' Safari
Victoria , British Columbia
it was Spectrum that the park used for TV ....for internet they had Tengo which is I think one of the worst services and a royal pain in the A-- to deal with.
Went to the Spectrum office and was up and running.
rucos is offline   Reply With Quote