Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2016, 09:48 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2015 23' Flying Cloud
2023 Interstate 19
Scottsdale , Arizona
Is the Jetpack best for general internet and not streaming due to the high streaming data usage?
cactusjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:53 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
3. If using a lot of data, or if you think you can download movies or even a lot of You Tube clips you will find out how expensive things can be and how rapidly you can go through your data allowance. I have found the average cost per GB of data is about $10 when delivered over the cell network. That is not cheap. If you are used to unlimited data on a home DSL or Cable net access, be careful of your expectations on a cell network. You may be shocked at your usage and costs.
Great advice.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:15 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Just a word of caution on the Jetpack. I have been using a Jetpack for Internet access at home for 3 or 4 years now. Gave up on satellite Internet due do slow speeds and unreliability.

The Jetpack is great but if you leave it plugged in 24/7 over time the batteries start to swell. I'm now on my third battery pack.

So if you leave the Jetpack plugged in for long durations please monitor the battery pack.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:35 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Re: Millenicom Mobile Broadband (Cellular Network) Service

FYI, Millenicom is back in business; but they are now a T-Mobile reseller (previously with Verizon).

If T-Mobile's coverage area fits your needs, some of Millenicom's plans appear to provide streaming at no, or reduced, cost. However, I personally do not stream movies and videos, and prefer Verizon's wider coverage, especially in the West.

Millenicom.com

Note: I have no affiliation with Millenicom, except as a former satisfied customer.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 11:06 PM   #25
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I have both Verizon and AT&T. Verizon is far superior. With both you do have to watch your usage. I do little or no streaming but now days you are forced to watch a short commercial to get to a new story that you might be interested in. Both are a rip off as is SAT TV but we are stuck.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:15 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Just a word of caution on the Jetpack. I have been using a Jetpack for Internet access at home for 3 or 4 years now. Gave up on satellite Internet due do slow speeds and unreliability.

The Jetpack is great but if you leave it plugged in 24/7 over time the batteries start to swell. I'm now on my third battery pack.

So if you leave the Jetpack plugged in for long durations please monitor the battery pack.

Brad
What is your model of Jetpack?
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 01:26 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjk View Post
Is the Jetpack best for general internet and not streaming due to the high streaming data usage?
A typical streaming movie is about 4.5 gb. The Jetpack pay-as-you-go for 10 gb is $100. When I first started using the Jetpack, I thought I was doing pretty good, I was only going to be on the road for 5-6 weeks. I got the 10 gb package and after a couple of weeks the usage was very low for 3 laptops and 2 smartphones. We watched a movie and the next usage check showed us past the 5 gb mark. That was a very expensive movie.

Now we have our media player and ripped DVDs from home for entertainment or we just use the over the air TV stations wherever we are.

If you have Windows you need to disable the automatic updates too (Windows 10 prevents this only by the wireless connection) and set your security preferences to not automatically download and play the advertisements. Ad Block Plus is very helpful in controlling usage.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 10-07-2016, 06:25 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2015 23' Flying Cloud
2023 Interstate 19
Scottsdale , Arizona
Understand streaming eats up bandwidth. How is the Jetpack for downloading iTunes movies we already own from the cloud?
cactusjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 06:34 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' Flying Cloud
Raleigh , North Carolina
We have a jetpack to use while traveling. The only advantage i see is that you are not disconnected when receiving a phone call while using it. My husband and i can be on the same jetpack at the same time. it is much more secure than "free" camground wifi. But at times we still can not get a good connections no matter what we use, and revert back to 4g cell phones. We upgraded to 24G each month, and use up most of it on just daily small stuff. A bit pricey, but i HATEd to have to keep wondering how much data we had each month........
silverkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 08:01 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjk View Post
Understand streaming eats up bandwidth. How is the Jetpack for downloading iTunes movies we already own from the cloud?
If whatever you want is in the cloud you will need a means to access it and that's not free. It's still using data and counts against your usage. Whether it's iTunes or HBO or anything else, if it's uploading or downloading data or probably even using a wireless printer, it's all data usage.

I suggest that you download your iTunes content before you leave home and play it back from your iPad, Mac or wherever you downloaded it to, then you don't need anything. You can try using campground or other free WIFI but it's usually very slow.

This summer my brother and I were fishing and he was upset because he couldn't play his Spotify tunes. I asked if he had a signal on his phone and he said no, but he had a play list. I said that's like trying to read a book when all you have is the chapter list and nothing else.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 03-20-2017, 01:55 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post

Brad

My battery died after one month I did have a plugged in 24 seven. Could this have been the reason the battery stopped working. I've had to order a second battery and I'm hoping that fixes it as my jet pack or even turn on now it just shows an icon by the battery is charging but it is not
NimbusSaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 05:00 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by NimbusSaxman View Post
My battery died after one month I did have a plugged in 24 seven. Could this have been the reason the battery stopped working. I've had to order a second battery and I'm hoping that fixes it as my jet pack or even turn on now it just shows an icon by the battery is charging but it is not
I've not had the battery die on me before. The only issues I've had is battery swelling. There is a good possibility it won't power up without a good battery. I have been meaning to try mine without a battery and just using the wall charger to see if it works. If I remember I'll give it a try this evening when I get home.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 03-24-2017, 04:52 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Some of the Jet Packs have replaceable batteries. I have 2 Ellipsis Jet Packs: MHS700L (not replaceable) and the MHS800L (replaceable)

The MHS700L gave up the ghost last year sometime, I think it was 2 years old but I rarely used it. Now I have Velcro on it and it stays in the AS front window when we travel.

The MHS800L is new this January. The wife uses it pretty much every day. I can swap the SIM card between it and the MHS700L if she runs out so she can use what's left of anything on each of them.

Other than the cost of data being high, I don't have any complaints for a $50 device.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 03-24-2017, 05:37 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
My Jetpack is model MHS291LVW.

Works great with the exception of the battery issue.

Brad