Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Computers, Internet & Satellite
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-31-2017, 05:51 PM   #101
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
The previously available plan that we have with Verizon gives us 16GB/mo with rollover data for $40 less per month. So far, we're getting along well enough with that. Similarly, we don't download iOS or MacOS updates unless we're on wi-fi somewhere. We also don't stream video, as that would demolish our data limit if we did. DVD's still work, and we bring a few along for when nothing else will do. When VZW finally gets its act together to offer an unlimited plan that includes hot spots, we'll be there, ready to chat with them about that plan.
I suspect the issue with hotspots is their ability to permit multiple connections. Makes it easy for people to share unlimited plans.

At least with a phone you know it's only one user at a time per plan.

In time they may expand 4G to hotspots, but I don't think it will be soon. Probably when even faster speeds are available.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:57 PM   #102
2 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Be sure to turn off Wi-fi Assist! It will use data to strengthen your signal!! Found this out the hard way!
ljsigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:27 AM   #103
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Had to look that up. IOS 9 feature. Go to Cellular settings scroll to the bottom and you'll see it. Mine was turned on. Showed 26m of data used. Thanks

Kelvin
Old 08-01-2017, 07:39 AM   #104
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
When Verizon first rolled out their unlimited plan, it was the only thing you could select online if you needed to increase your data...I had to call a rep to get a smaller plan, the smallest at that time being 5GB, way more than I needed with home wifi.

Traveling currently, and needing to increase my data, it required some work to get to anything but the unlimited, but I did find 2GB, 4GB and 8GB options.

Just sayin...not everyone needs or wants unlimited, particularly those of us with a sticks and bricks residence.

Currently east, I have found it true that Verizon is a bit less accessible out here, but still believe that across the US it is the best carrier.

Maggie
Old 08-01-2017, 09:16 AM   #105
2 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Had to look that up. IOS 9 feature. Go to Cellular settings scroll to the bottom and you'll see it. Mine was turned on. Showed 26m of data used. Thanks

Kelvin

Also, Verizon charges a $20 fee to use a MiFi! Use your iPhone as a Personal Hotspot and save your $20! Never watch Facebook, news or email videos! They are keyed to play automatically! When I am traveling I try to find something else to focus on. I take a vacation from social media! I up my husbands plan to Unlimited for one month when we travel then change it back to my 5g plan. My husband and I both have phones but one uses another carrier that is unlimited ($35) but little to no service in rural areas. We always carry our laptop for business purposes. We download Netflix movies to our laptop before leaving home! (Wish someone would tell me if there is a way to watch those downloaded movie on our smart TV!) Where there isn't a RedBox we read books! Novel idea!
ljsigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 06:34 PM   #106
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
All new Verizon Unlimited plans announced today:

Verizon Go Unlimited
Price: $75 per month and up. The fine print: The amount of 4G LTE data is unlimited, but your speed could be throttled at any time, no matter how much you've downloaded so far this month, if Verizon's network is experiencing congestion. Whether the network is congested is entirely up to Verizon to determine. Video quality is limited to 480p on mobile phones and 720p on tablets. You can't watch any 1080p video on this plan. Mobile hotspot capability is unlimited, but speeds are throttled to 600 kbps. Best for: Video junkies who don't mind being stuck with DVD-quality streams.
Verizon Beyond Unlimited
Price: $75 per month and up. The fine print: The amount of 4G LTE data is unlimited, but your speed could be throttled once you hit the 22GB mark for the month. Video quality is limited to 720p on phones and 1080p on tablets. Mobile hotspot capability is unlimited for the first 15GB, but speeds are throttled after that. Best for: Mobile workers who rely heavily on tethering, and video streamers who gotta have their HD.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 07:23 PM   #107
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
I kind of believe the headlines of Verizon Unlimited going to offer three worse unlimited plans for slightly less money.

Seems a little bait and switch Verizon.

There something to be said for being on one of the big networks with good coverage. I guess it's the price to pay.

Feel sorry for the folks who depend on it it for working.

Not trying to sound negative, just cynical.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 10:30 PM   #108
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Verizon "unlimited" plans are a joke. I had to hop on a $150/month business plan from a company to actually get real unlimited.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 01:57 PM   #109
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I've just finished our 1st month with VZ Unlimited. We have two iPhones (6, 5s) and one iPad (Air with cellular) on the plan. Now that the house is sold we are living in our Airstream at a local trailer park in Springfield, MO this is our internet, phone and video entertainment service (plus OTA TV). This first month we used about 56g of data. I stream from the iPad to the Apple TV and have watched S7 of Game of Thrones and S1 Westworld on HBOnow. I watch youTube on the ATV and the iPad. My wife hotspots from her iPhone to her iPad Air2 (WIFI only) and I'll hotspot from my iPhone to my MacBook Pro. Funny thing when I log on to my VZ account and look at the data usage, hotspot data is always 0. I haven't noticed any slowdowns after 22g on the iPad or any hotspot use.
So far I'm pleased with the service. When we just had 4g of shared data on only two devices, the unlimited plan is only about $60/mo more with three devices.

Kelvin
Old 09-24-2017, 05:31 AM   #110
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Maybe it takes a billing cycle but I just got a VZ email/SMS notice my hotspot data on the iPad is at 13 1/2 G. I'm in my 2nd month. I'm now watching the latest season of Narcos on Netflix. I went to my account on the VZ website and the hotspot data on iPad is not showing 13.5g used, unlike the previous cycle it always showed zero.

I'm thinking of purchasing the Apple Lightning/HDMI adapter for the iPad. Looking online Netflix allows you to watch their content via the iPad hooked up to a HDTV. That way hotspot is not used.

Kelvin
Old 09-24-2017, 09:58 AM   #111
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Looks like the hotspot 15g restriction has kicked in. YouTube videos load slower and at lower quality, I've tried 370p and 480p. Takes about 30s to load then plays. The video will play but stop intermittently to load and continue unless you wait several minutes then start playback. Of course this is dependent on the cell tower performance. Airforums loads well, email is good. Google Maps loads slower especially with satellite view, with satellite view not being useful.

See what happens on Oct 13 when it resets on the new billing cycle

Kelvin
Old 09-24-2017, 10:08 AM   #112
4 Rivet Member

Palm Desert , California
If you are lucky enough to be on a cell tower that has excess bandwidth, then you won't be slowed down no matter your usage. But if your tower becomes constrained, you'll be throttled after 10 gb per device. At least that's my understanding.
dasams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:14 AM   #113
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Verizon brings back unlimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasams View Post
If you are lucky enough to be on a cell tower that has excess bandwidth, then you won't be slowed down no matter your usage. But if your tower becomes constrained, you'll be throttled after 10 gb per device. At least that's my understanding.

That is true for a phone (which has 22G before ‘potential’ throttling) but incorrect for hotspots / or fat associated with hotspot usage on the phone. (On Verizon)

Hotspots are always throttled after 10G regardless of tower traffic.

Ps - they throttle to 600kbs which is just enough to continue watching netflix in reduced bandwidth mode
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:31 AM   #114

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
That is true for a phone (which has 22G before ‘potential’ throttling) but incorrect for hotspots / or fat associated with hotspot usage on the phone. (On Verizon)

Hotspots are always throttled after 10G regardless of tower traffic.

Ps - they throttle to 600kbs which is just enough to continue watching netflix in reduced bandwidth mode
If you ALREADY had VZW's "Unlimited" plan before the this billing cycle, they've bumped it to 15gb of tethering before the slowdown. If you buy the new reshuffled "unlimited" plan now, I think it's the lower value AND several other things are adjusted a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Maybe it takes a billing cycle but I just got a VZ email/SMS notice my hotspot data on the iPad is at 13 1/2 G. I'm in my 2nd month. I'm now watching the latest season of Narcos on Netflix. I went to my account on the VZ website and the hotspot data on iPad is not showing 13.5g used, unlike the previous cycle it always showed zero.

I'm thinking of purchasing the Apple Lightning/HDMI adapter for the iPad. Looking online Netflix allows you to watch their content via the iPad hooked up to a HDTV. That way hotspot is not used.

Kelvin
Be sure to buy the official Apple Lightning-to-HDMI adapter. So far I haven't found an off-brand one that's significantly less expensive than the Apple one that's reported to work with security-conscious services like Netflix and Amazon.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 02:04 PM   #115
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida

Have to say, I added an ATT unlimited plus plan to our Cradlepoint router because VZW won't allow that device on their unlimited plans. ATT has no such limitation.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 02:20 PM   #116
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Have to say, I added an ATT unlimited plus plan to our Cradlepoint router because VZW won't allow that device n their unlimited plans. ATT has no such limitation.

Interesting! And have you considered just using a jet pack plan and swapping SIM cards? That’s what I was planning to do because we don’t full time so I can put the card back in the jet pack when needed.

We’re on a business plan, but when I talked to our rep about moving to the new business unlimited she discouraged me from doing it because we have a home 4G WiFi router on the account which wouldn’t qualify.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:54 PM   #117

No consideration of a jetpack, as the Cradlepoint router is far superior. Holds 2 SIMS, switches back and forth as needed (ATT to VZW and back), and has antenna cable inputs so I don't have to use a booster unless I want to. With our directional Yagi antenna, we haven't needed the booster much so far on this trip. Cradlepoint also has dual wifi antennas. I use one for wifi inside and another for wifi outside around the campsite.

Old 09-24-2017, 04:30 PM   #118
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
No consideration of a jetpack, as the Cradlepoint router is far superior. Holds 2 SIMS, switches back and forth as needed (ATT to VZW and back), and has antenna cable inputs so I don't have to use a booster unless I want to. With our directional Yagi antenna, we haven't needed the booster much so far on this trip. Cradlepoint also has dual wifi antennas. I use one for wifi inside and another for wifi outside around the campsite.

I didn’t mean to actually use a jet pack; I meant purchase a jet pack plan and put the SIM in the cradle point.
Old 09-24-2017, 05:18 PM   #119

VZW swore an oath that if I did that, they would notice and cut me off. Would they actually do that? Who knows. [emoji57]

Old 09-25-2017, 08:00 AM   #120
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Purchased the official Apple Lightning to HDMI adapter. I verified it was the latest model number ending in AM/A. Its expensive, $50, I guess to being Apple and probably hidden licensing fees to the entertainment industry.

I was able to use my cellular iPad to watch Netflix and HBONow. I just swing the HDMI cable from the Apple TV on top of the TV down below to the TV where I have the iPad. The adapter has a power passthrough so you can keep the iPad on power while you play video.

My current data usage is probably over 40g since Sept 13 due to video streaming. One or two 1 hour shows a night.

From now on I'll keep the hotspot use just for my wife's iPad or if I need to update the laptop.

Kelvin