Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Computers, Internet & Satellite
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-26-2017, 08:22 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It's possible they're being a bit disingenuous, which would be a bit disappointing, but not surprising.

I have an 18 1/2 % discount on my current plan, would save $.21 by switching to the unlimited, plus pay a fee for changing plans, I believe.

Not worth it, just for while I am traveling.

Maggie
Old 02-26-2017, 12:39 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahya View Post
Evidentally Verizon doesn't know their own plan then. I was told yesterday at the local Verizon store no slow down until you hit 22 gigs per device on your plan. I have 4 devices so that would be 88 gigs. He even told me he himself is using the new KODI android box to stream live tv and had already used 60 gigs and service had not slowed down.
You have to realize a college student making $10 an hour at a Virzon store is most likely not going to know what they are talking about.

All that matters is what the fine print on your contract says. 10GB / month for Hotspot 4G LTE use is really bad for the RV community.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 04:35 PM   #43
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
The VZW rep I spoke with yesterday via phone confirmed that a military (active and retired) discount is the only one available for the new "Unlimited" plan. No other discounts apply.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 04:33 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Technomadia has a good tip if you want to stream video with the unlimited plan. Connect your phone directly to your TV via an HDMI adapter.

My father was from the UK and one of his favorite statements about something that seemed to good to be true was "a sprat to catch a mackerel".

Kelvin
Old 03-14-2017, 04:02 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
I found some information that Verizon's "unlimited" 10 GB 4G speed cap algorithms weren't working right, allowing 4G speeds past 10 GB. They have seen been corrected. Anyone notice a slow-down?

Also, from my research it appears that NO US carrier allows 4G speed for more than 10GB on a hotspot on any new plan. I find this ridiculous.

Looks like I may be "stuck" on my old 24 GB Verizon plan which is fairly pricey.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:11 PM   #46
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
For those few blessed with FiOS access at home, you can now stream live or dvr'ed content without it counting against your limits.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:04 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
does it still work when you cross into canada?
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 11:14 PM   #48

The new AT&T Unlimited Plus plan actually allows unlimited hotspot data. This is relatively new. We're not AT&T subscribers ourselves, because Verizon seems to offer better coverage overall, but this new plan is intriguing. While there is no limit to hot spot data, they may manage your speed after the first 22GB if you're on a congested tower.

"Customers who add a hotspot device as one of their lines for $20 a month will receive 22GB of data. After using 22GB of data, AT&T may slow speeds in areas where the network may be congested."

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/att...e-competitive/

Old 03-15-2017, 02:08 AM   #49
2 Rivet Member

Clovis , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
I found some information that Verizon's "unlimited" 10 GB 4G speed cap algorithms weren't working right, allowing 4G speeds past 10 GB. They have seen been corrected. Anyone notice a slow-down?

Also, from my research it appears that NO US carrier allows 4G speed for more than 10GB on a hotspot on any new plan. I find this ridiculous.

Looks like I may be "stuck" on my old 24 GB Verizon plan which is fairly pricey.

Actual plans vary like I believe ATT's datacap is 22 gigs. After that they throttle you.

Its all very confusing unless you read as they have services that hit no data cap.

DirectTV NOW Streaming service if you sign up for it does not hit ATTs data cap at all. HD streaming on some services does not hit data cap services it all depends on what you use.

Make sure you read it all thoroughly on what they offer. As time goes on they will shake it all out and eventually be more clear on what they offer. TMobile, pre paid cells are killing the industry and there responding.
powerwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 04:48 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Verizon has in turn all but eliminated their smaller plans, the smallest now being 5 GB.

Maggie
Old 03-15-2017, 08:25 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
any luck using it when we cross the border?
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 08:41 AM   #52
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
When reviewing any Verizon plan keep a salt shaker handy because you have to consider anything Verizon does with a grain of salt.

Verizon just cut the cord on their E Mail service as of April 12 casting thousands adrift. New York city is sewing them for failing to build out the complete city as contracted. New Jersey just caved in when Verizon said they would not build out south Jersey per their contract. And the crowning personal insult was when they claimed I had to pay 10 fold, over market cost, for the battery in their Fios equipment. The battery remains dead and my generator is standing by.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:14 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
The new AT&T Unlimited Plus plan actually allows unlimited hotspot data. This is relatively new. We're not AT&T subscribers ourselves, because Verizon seems to offer better coverage overall, but this new plan is intriguing. While there is no limit to hot spot data, they may manage your speed after the first 22GB if you're on a congested tower.

[I]"Customers who add a hotspot device as one of their lines for $20 a month will receive 22GB of data. After using 22GB of data, AT&T may slow speeds in areas where the network may be congested."

I may have to switch to ATT seeing as they are the first to allow a hotspot to not come to a crawl over 10 GB.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:06 AM   #54
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Ojai , California
Just finished our first full cycle on the Verizon Unlimited Data plan. Total usage was 93.3GB with no slowdowns what so ever. The phones only accounted for less than 2GB of data and the rest went through our JetPack. We were only on the new plan for 6 days on the last cycle, but still managed to use 45GB. Again we didn't see a slowdown and the JetPack never switched to 3G. I hope this information is helpful in making an informed decision on this new plan.
Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:57 AM   #55

Actual experience is always helpful, thanks! Still, we have to balance that against what the terms and conditions of their plan says they can do if they choose. [emoji4]

Old 03-21-2017, 11:03 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
Just finished our first full cycle on the Verizon Unlimited Data plan. Total usage was 93.3GB with no slowdowns what so ever ... Again we didn't see a slowdown and the JetPack never switched to 3G.
==========

Do you have a cost breakdown for phones and Jetpack? Unlimited data would be great, but I am concerned about the cost.

Note: We do NOT have smartphones, just one Novatel MiFi 4510L (predecessor to current Verizon Jetpack). Our grandfathered "Millenicom" data plan on Verizon is $99.99 for 20 GB.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:34 PM   #57
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Ojai , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
==========

Do you have a cost breakdown for phones and Jetpack? Unlimited data would be great, but I am concerned about the cost.

Note: We do NOT have smartphones, just one Novatel MiFi 4510L (predecessor to current Verizon Jetpack). Our grandfathered "Millenicom" data plan on Verizon is $99.99 for 20 GB.
It's 143.23 (out the door) for two smart phones and the JetPack (all paid for). We were Millenicom customers also back in the day. but I jumped on a deal they had for 30GB for $130/mo. Switching saved us about $30/mo.
Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:58 PM   #58
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
Again we didn't see a slowdown and the JetPack never switched to 3G. I hope this information is helpful in making an informed decision on this new plan.

I don't think it would actually switch to 3G, just the speed would slow down. The device would still see LTE as the connection type.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:17 AM   #59
2 Rivet Member

Clovis , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjack View Post
I don't think it would actually switch to 3G, just the speed would slow down. The device would still see LTE as the connection type.

You are correct EDGE, 3g, 4g, LTE are methods of radio transmission not the speed. Although with each evolution the speed has increased.

The best bet would be to run this test when you are over what you think your cellular provider's data cap is.

http://www.speedtest.net/

Visually is not the way to do that as you can still get HD with lower single digit MB/s throughput.

Also due to the nature of it being a radio signal your throughput can vary greatly all of the time.
powerwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 04:50 AM   #60
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwiz View Post
You are correct EDGE, 3g, 4g, LTE are methods of radio transmission not the speed. Although with each evolution the speed has increased.

The best bet would be to run this test when you are over what you think your cellular provider's data cap is.

http://www.speedtest.net/

Visually is not the way to do that as you can still get HD with lower single digit MB/s throughput.

Also due to the nature of it being a radio signal your throughput can vary greatly all of the time.

Ookla, the makers of Speedtest.net, have a really nice app for the iPhone/iPad as well. You can test your wifi or cellular connection.

However, if I'm using my laptop I prefer www.fast.com.